Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:20 AM   #4291
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
If natural selection tends towards reproduction only, ...
It does not. Natural selection drives evolution toward the superior. In the long run the inferior does not survive.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 AM   #4292
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Of course take me to a hospital and apply the best science to my situation, but that decision in itself does not preclude the acceptance of final causes, ...
Final cause = purpose?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #4293
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
That is circular reasoning. Fictitious people in a fictitious story witness a fictitious event therefore the story is true.
Methinks your line of reasoning above is a wee bit circular.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #4294
boxcar

Quote:
It does not. Natural selection drives evolution toward the superior. In the long run the inferior does not survive.
"Superior" how and to what? And does natural selection know what is superior?

And I thought in the long run, the inferior doesn't survive due to survival of the fittest?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #4295
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
And I predict they will never solve this "riddle". God's ways are truly past finding out.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #4296
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
You like to create fictitious accounts. You want us to believe natural selection acts with intention
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #4297
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And I predict they will never solve this "riddle". God's ways are truly past finding out.
And I predict they will. Science is very good at solving this kind of riddle. A century ago scientists were baffled when some experiments revealed that light is a wave and other experiments revealed it to be a stream of particles. Quantum theory resolved the issue. That will happen again.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #4298
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You like to create fictitious accounts. You want us to believe natural selection acts with intention
Of course not. What gave you that idea?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #4299
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
And I predict they will. Science is very good at solving this kind of riddle. A century ago scientists were baffled when some experiments revealed that light is a wave and other experiments revealed it to be a stream of particles. Quantum theory resolved the issue. That will happen again.
In other words you have hope based on faith.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #4300
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Of course not. What gave you that idea?
Your statement I commented upon. Your obtuse act is tiring.
George Washington
Old 10-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #4301
boxcar

Quote:
Never let it be said that an atheist doesn't have megatons of faith...in man. Gotta fill that God void somehow, don't ya?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #4302
boxcar

Quote:
Man will never plumb all the mysterious depths to this universe. They are even beyond the understanding of your god Quantum.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #4303
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And does natural selection know what is superior?
In a sense it does. Information is passed from generation to generation through DNA. Inferior species fail to reproduce in sufficient numbers to remain viable and so their information is lost. Superior species do remain viable and the process repeats. It's a "try everything and only keep what works strategy." Very slow, requiring millions of years, but very effective.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #4304
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
In other words you have hope based on faith.
No. I have confidence based on experience.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #4305
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You like to create fictitious accounts. You want us to believe natural selection acts with intention.
No. See #4303.