Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
onefast99

Monmouth Park hits Suffolk shippers with a big bill!

Anyone shipping to Suffolk for the mini meet will be subject to a fine of $1000 per horse should they return to Monmouth Park. The reasoning behind this is Suffolk doesn't supply any horses to MP as other neighboring tracks do, such as Penn, DP, Belmont and Saratoga, Parx and a host of others. My question: Is this legal? Aren't you preventing someone from making a living with a horse they either own or train? Could you imagine if during the unique million a day meet MP had that every track said if you ship to MP you will be fined? This is one of those not thought about knee jerk reactions that make people shake their heads in disbelief! Give me one good reason why anyone should be fined for racing anywhere else!

Last edited by onefast99; 08-12-2016 at 04:11 PM.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Anyone shipping to Suffolk for the mini meet will be subject to a fine of $1000 per horse should they return to Monmouth Park. The reasoning behind this is Suffolk doesn't supply any horses to MP as other neighboring tracks do, such as Penn, DP, Belmont and Saratoga, Parx and a host of others. My question: Is this legal? Aren't you preventing someone from making a living with a horse they either own or train? Could you imagine if during the unique million a day meet MP had that every track said if you ship to MP you will be fined? This is one of those not thought about knee jerk reactions that make people shake their heads in disbelief! Give me one good reason why anyone should be fined for racing anywhere else!
Gulfstream management did something similar when Tampa had its short meet a month or so ago. GS mgmnt posted a directive to all horsemen that essentially stated that if a Gulfstream based horse was shipped to Tampa, the horse would be banned from the grounds at Gulfstream.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:

I would tell Monmouth to go scew themselves if they tried to fine me for running at another track.
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Absolutely pathetic. Stupid cashgrab right there by Monmouth...
Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Why should Monmouth allow horses to go to Suffolk and race there, clearly hurting field size at Monmouth? They are giving owners free stalls at the track. If you go race at Suffolk, you should be billed for the stall.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Ruffian1

This happens all the time. If not money, then you simply lose stalls next meet. All part of the politics of horsemen and management.

Pressure from management to race at their track is a given.

And the horses that stable there use Monmouth's electricity, water, guards and security, facilities that the house pays for and much more.

Horsemen might gripe but they all know the deal when they arrive on the grounds.

The place is fighting for it's life. Anyone stabled there should race there IMO or ship out and leave the horse elsewhere.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1
This happens all the time. If not money, then you simply lose stalls next meet. All part of the politics of horsemen and management.

Pressure from management to race at their track is a given.

And the horses that stable there use Monmouth's electricity, water, guards and security, facilities that the house pays for and much more.

Horsemen might gripe but they all know the deal when they arrive on the grounds.

The place is fighting for it's life. Anyone stabled there should race there IMO or ship out and leave the horse elsewhere.
Monmouth can't afford to deny stalls, so the monetary thing is there only recourse. I just don't see how people can have a problem with this, especially in these days where horses don't race very often.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
mabred

suffolk will pay for the fine!! they are busting at the seams with money

they pay a 1000 to come in 6th.they have 8.5 million to spend on 6

days of racing and a million a month going in to the fund with only plainridge

putting in $$ at this time.

They should double the fine!!!!
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Monmouth can't afford to deny stalls, so the monetary thing is there only recourse. I just don't see how people can have a problem with this, especially in these days where horses don't race very often.
I agree wholeheartedly and yes I am biased. There is a ton of expenses that come with having horses on the ground and the horsemen should support them if they are there. They are fighting for their life there, and having them ship out for Suffolk is ridiculous. I wonder how many left the grounds for that.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
I agree wholeheartedly and yes I am biased. There is a ton of expenses that come with having horses on the ground and the horsemen should support them if they are there. They are fighting for their life there, and having them ship out for Suffolk is ridiculous. I wonder how many left the grounds for that.
I hope not many.

I so hope that Monmouth survives. It is where I cut my teeth in the game during the summer as a groom back in the day. What a special place !

Horsemen all know the score the day they ship in. Especially a place that is trying to hang in there.

Best of luck to you and Monmouth Park.

Although I do miss the :
" Your best bet, US savings bonds" sign above the tote board from back in the day.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
alhattab

Quote:
The fine seems to be a new wrinkle, but the threat is not. See first link re. Parx Fall Festival, and link from 2010 re warning on the NYRA overnights when Mth ran its "million dollar meet" (remember that!)

http://www.theracingbiz.com/2015/08/...val-nervously/

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-y...89820099130182

My own view is that seems reasonable to expect horses staying rent free to support the "landlord". It's one thing if a trainer has some stalls at Mth and wants to send his NY-bred out to NY, or even his/her Mass-bred to Suffolk. But it's a bit of a slap in the face to send his/her $5k NW2L to Suffolk when there are plenty of opptys to run at Mth.

Do you know whether or not they went through with the threat, and if so how? There were plenty of NJ trainers that ran at Suffolk last weekend- Dibona, Ryan, Navarro, Farro, Orseno. Derek Ryan said that he shipped 3, and 2 weren't coming back anyway http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...espite-penalty.

I was wondering if they made exceptions especially considering everything was off the turf the previous weekend, or if the trainers shipping to Suffolk also supported the Mth programs then there was no fine.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why should Monmouth allow horses to go to Suffolk and race there, clearly hurting field size at Monmouth? They are giving owners free stalls at the track. If you go race at Suffolk, you should be billed for the stall.
I think some kind of charge would be appropriate IF.....Trainers are known to be warehousing horses at one track only to race them at another...AND those trainers who use stalls at the track for horses they KNOW they will not race during the meeting. Workouts are not enough. They must race at least once or pay a fee to stable the horse(s) not in race training.
A one thousand dollar charge appears to be a bit steep...
If were ion charge of the track, I would make allowances for horses that have started at the stabled track that may ship out for an opportunity to get a win.
But only ONE ship out and back.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I think some kind of charge would be appropriate IF.....Trainers are known to be warehousing horses at one track only to race them at another...AND those trainers who use stalls at the track for horses they KNOW they will not race during the meeting. Workouts are not enough. They must race at least once or pay a fee to stable the horse(s) not in race training.
A one thousand dollar charge appears to be a bit steep...
If were ion charge of the track, I would make allowances for horses that have started at the stabled track that may ship out for an opportunity to get a win.
But only ONE ship out and back.

Doesn't seem steep at all to me. If you race at Suffolk, you probably won't race the horse again for 3 weeks to a month. That hurts Monmouth. 1k isn't very much these days. Allowances are made for better horses and stakes horses and maybe with permission they would be for this.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

What if i have a horse that hasnt run in 2 months and ive entered the horse 5 times and the race isnt filling what am i suppose to do? I know that i will start looking at other tracks to try and run my horse so that i can pay the monthly bill with the purse revenue if the horse makes any.
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
What if i have a horse that hasnt run in 2 months and ive entered the horse 5 times and the race isnt filling what am i suppose to do? I know that i will start looking at other tracks to try and run my horse so that i can pay the monthly bill with the purse revenue if the horse makes any.
You speak with the racing secretary and discuss the book, extras being hung, or shipping out for one race.

They are reasonable when it comes to this in most cases.

This happens all the time.