Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
winbets

Question Which day of the week ??

Does anyone else keep track of how they do on different days of the week? I started this about 18 months ago and the one statistic that sticks out is that Saturday is by far the poorest day of the week for my bankroll. I make a living betting so called cheap tracks and I think that maybe that has something to do with this surprising statistic. Maybe the "better" racing cards on Saturday do not agree with me.
winbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good idea. I used to model just weekends becuse that was all I played.
My results imporved, and I think it was becasue I was mixing the better races and the cheap stuff. That was back when I played one track-FL-and it was really night and day weekend to weekdays.

Btw, welcome aboard~
Old 05-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbets
Does anyone else keep track of how they do on different days of the week? I started this about 18 months ago and the one statistic that sticks out is that Saturday is by far the poorest day of the week
Oddly enough I started doing it about a year ago and found Saturdays to be cumbersome days to make money as well. I ended up resorting to dutching and cutting down on my amount of plays. Good thread idea.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
alysheba88
Veteran

While I mostly just play the weekends, I definitely do better on Saturday then Sunday. Has to do with the way NYRA cards its races and the types of races on a Saturday card compared to Sunday. More filles and mares on the latter
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
BUD

I am an absolute newbie..
I am a law enforcement guy who was injured pretty severely on duty. I found myself home bound bored out of my mind...One day before I used my silver bullet I found Horse Racing on the tube..I watched, nothing else to do...I was hooked..Thank God. It saved my life..
I have been attempting to handicap the races since March so I am as green as they come. But I do have some weekday success but, I normally get beat on Saturdays..
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
cj's dad

Welcome to the site.

There are a number of great posts on this site and if you stick around you can learn much.

Pay great attention to one contributor particularly - CJ !!

The kids an absolute genius !!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD
I am a law enforcement guy who was injured pretty severely on duty. I found myself home bound bored out of my mind...One day before I used my silver bullet I found Horse Racing on the tube..I watched, nothing else to do...I was hooked..Thank God. It saved my life..
I have been attempting to handicap the races since March so I am as green as they come. But I do have some weekday success but, I normally get beat on Saturdays..
Wow and Welcome! I hope your recovery from your injury(s) is going well. You ought to send an e-mail to TVG [I'm assuming that is what you found on the air]. They might like to hear about the positive effect they had on someone's life. You sure found the right place to talk horse racing and learn a ton.

My advice: Find a methodology that you like, and that fits your style and personality. Learn that methodology frontward, backward and sideways. Honestly, I think there are many different ways a person can win if they are willing to take the time to learn how to use their tools. I hope that you can be one of those people.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Bud, Welcome........keep your eyes and ears open around here. You can learn much. Keep your chin up!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
My advice: Find a methodology that you like, and that fits your style and personality. Learn that methodology frontward, backward and sideways.
The above is probably the BEST advice on where to start: I am biased in that regard and would tell you to learn the Sartin Methodology, but whatever you choose STAY WITH IT UNTIL IT IS SECOND NATURE.

Also remember that wagering on handicapping decisions is another game altogether and a harder one to master. PLAY ON PAPER until you co-ordinate the two....Have fun, but remember, don't fall in love with a horse, it will cloud your objectivity.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Welcome, and may the horse be with you!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Zman179
Registered Wacko

I would say that I don't do very well on Mondays, Fridays, Sundays, Wednesdays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Thursdays. Thank God for day jobs!

I'm a cheap track player too (Finger Lakes is my favorite.) I would say that it's tougher during the weekend because the better horses tend to run more often during the weekends, whereas the cheap claimers are more likely to come out for weekday cards. The bottom rung $4,000 maiden claimers at FL are my specialty.

Last edited by Zman179; 05-18-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
K9Pup

I would think that the crowd is "smarter" during the week. So weekends SHOULD be better??????
K9Pup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Gibbon
DC posts & not banned?

The key that opens up the vault...

Old DRF speed fig plus track variant.
No Beyer or Moss

Everything else is banal
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD
Bud, wecome to the forum. If you have not done so I suggest that you read some of the "classic" handicapping books. There are several threads devoted to this, but James Quinn and Mark Cramer would be a good place to start. Here's to fast horses and loose women!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Greyfox

Should we be looking at the days or the evenings before them?

With purses generally higher at major tracks better cards and tougher races seem to be the norm.
Having said that, I think that there are other factors here.
1. How much did I "imbibe" the evening before.
2. How much did the jockey that I bet on "imbibe" the evening before.
(At one of the bull rings that I play, one of the jocks can't win on Sunday.
You'd be better betting that he'd fall off somewhere during the day.)

If you are going to keep track of the days that you are doing well on and the days not so well on, I think that you also have to look for any relatonships between the evening before and your performance.
Sometimes "great moments" of lucidity can happen by handicapping the evening before with a brewski, for some people. For others, it just don't work.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply