Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #16
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Clearly Now is a mouse who always finds a way to underachieve.

No thanks

I haven't seen the pp's but someone had better be pretty damned sharp to beat Palace Malice, who is the best horse in North America right now at 1m or over.
Clearly Now would be a really nice mouse to own. Multiple graded stakes winner, multiple stakes placed. And you argue he was best in the Grade 1 Carter.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
Clearly Now would be a really nice mouse to own. Multiple graded stakes winner, multiple stakes placed. And you argue he was best in the Grade 1 Carter.
Didn't mean to sound so harsh...I am just angry at that guy.
Yes, I probably bet him in the Carter and picked him publicly.

Nailed the Swale last year and bet Clearly Now in every race since then, but our lil love affair is over for now.
He has disappointed me, as I think he has lost a few races he should have won. Doesn't appear to be a tough customer when push comes to shove.

You will get a price on him Saturday though, and he can get a piece, but I don't see him winning a Gr1.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
luisbe

I wouldn't bet Clearly Now at 1 mile even in a Overnight stakes.
Along with Palace Malice I like Normandy Invasion as well as Golden Ticket.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #19
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe
I wouldn't bet Clearly Now at 1 mile even in a Overnight stakes.
Along with Palace Malice I like Normandy Invasion as well as Golden Ticket.
Did you really take the time to type this out and then hit submit?
You wont take Clearly Now, but you will wager on Golden Ticket after one of the greatest hang jobs in the history of horse racing.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #20
theguarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
Did you really take the time to type this out and then hit submit?
You wont take Clearly Now, but you will wager on Golden Ticket after one of the greatest hang jobs in the history of horse racing.
Is Golden Ticket even supposed to run? He's not in the Timeform advanced PP's. Maybe he meant Goldencents?

I'm against Clearly Now a bit and think he probably is best at 7F but I see no reason he can't get a mile -- he certainly would bury most overnight stakes field at the distance.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
precocity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguarantee
Palace Malice is obviously very much the one to beat and I think you really have to decide if you want to just single in pk-3/pk-4s.

The other main contenders are fairly obvious.

Romash is probably the horse I'm having the hardest time with. At first I wanted to easily toss him but something keeps having me peak back at him.

Broadway Empire could easily get buried here but I really feel is the value of the value. A lot to like in my opinion.

Probably could live and die with PM, Broadway, Goldencents (still awaiting to hear -- hopefully on at the races -- some talk about how clockers feel he is working up to this? Would have liked to have seen a prep but it's hard to ignore the fastest horse in any race. If he's working close to how well he worked leading up to the BC last year I want him on every single ticket) and Shakin it Up (who I feel is a bit more proven than CB going the extra furlong and arguably ran better than CB anyway last out -- I thought he did by a nose or so and I had CB that day).

I think I'm in the same boat as Phantom with Clearly Now. He can certainly win, but it's starting to get to the point where you have to kind of think he will be able to overcome a troubled trip -- to beat the likes of the aforementioned horses, no less horses like Normandy, Moreno, etc... seems a mighty tall task...I think maybe the play with him is to hope he is well beaten here and then offers value cutting back to 7F at the Spa or something.
I think a month ago I mentioned goldencents workouts? when Is he going to run, hell iwas getting stable alerts from 3fur-8fur workouts and they were great! but like the great whizzy says? he wouldn't bet on him outside of California with food stamps!!

Last edited by precocity; 06-04-2014 at 08:59 AM.
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #22
theguarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by precocity
I think a month ago I mentioned goldencents workouts? when Is he going to run, hell iwas getting stable alerts from 3fur-8fur workouts and they were great! but like the great whizzy says? he wouldn't bet on him outside of California with food stamps!!
I've heard this from more than a few sharp bettors. Interesting. Anyone have numbers on Doug O'Neil in stakes races outside of Cali for the last few years? Off long layoffs? He finished second in the Champagne behind Shanghai Bobby and won the Delta Jackpot as a two year old. The disaster in the Kentucky Derby is hardly something I would hold against him or think that it had anything to do with being out of town. I guess you could argue the dullness there and in the Preakness are caution flags but clearly he doesn't want more than a mile...

His Cigar Mile certainly counts as disappointing off the amazing BC Mile but was shipping cross country for that 29 days after the BC Mile simply way too much to ask? I think so. And really he didn't run as bad as it looks there contesting a very hot pace after being bumped on the break and being bothered by Verrazano when trying to get out a bit off the turn. He wasn't winning but that surely was an ambitious move...

Again, I'll have some other coverage but I'm OK with people dismissing him outside of Cali...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
precocity
Veteran

he had some very sharp work outs at los Alamitos, I AM GOING TO PUT SOME MONEY ON HIS NOSE! I ALWAYS DO. HOPE TO GET 3-1?????
Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #24
Valuist

I can't help but wonder if Normandy Invasion will be best suited to a one turn mile.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by precocity
he had some very sharp work outs at los Alamitos, I AM GOING TO PUT SOME MONEY ON HIS NOSE! I ALWAYS DO. HOPE TO GET 3-1?????
On Goldencents? Should be higher than that with PM in the race, I'd think.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
precocity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks
On Goldencents? Should be higher than that with PM in the race, I'd think.
hope so, thought I would get better odds in the breeders cup mile.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Three Gr1 winners in this field:
Palace Malice (1)
Shakin It Up (1)
Goldencents (2)

Right now I am leaning towards Moreno as my key runner at 10-1 ML odds.
He loves Belmont, and is one of just a few pace runners in this field, and he is sharp. His main pace rival, Goldencents, has been off a long time and needs to prove he can win somewhere other than SA.
Moreno is quick, but he is quicker, and should grab the lead.
But I think it's Moreno who will persevere out of these two. He ran a hell of a race at Pim last time, and maybe the cutback to 1m is just what he needs. Classic distances are too far for him- he hasn't won a race over 8.5f.
One mile seems perfect, esp over his favorite surface.
Don't think Broadway Empire (the other speed) will pose much of a challenge as he has won at TUP, NP and RP.

Gotta respect and deal with Palace Malice, who may be forced to join the fray from the inside post. Of course he will be on my ticket, but for me it's Moreno up close all the way at good odds
Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #28
theguarantee

Thanks for the post Phantom. Honestly, I don't see anything in Moreno's record that indicates he can go with a true miler like Goldencents (or even Broadway IMO) early...I think he's proven to be a really nice speed/distance horse and I love speed horses who are game..but waters seem deep here to me. Certainly not trying to talk anyone off a nice horse at 10/1 but just some thoughts...

Wide open race...you either have confidence in PM from the rail or you probably have to spread a bit. The other more exotic option to me is to assume Goldencents is ready to roll and single him...I'm leaning toward this with some savers on the other likelies/my boy Broadway.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #29
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF
Wow. The Met Mile looks like a better race than The Belmont with the crown on the line.
Have you seen the "Woody Stephen's" , wow !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #30
TMQ
Longacres transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Have you seen the "Woody Stephen's" , wow !
Bayern vs Social inclusion
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply