Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #46
cj's dad

P'sITA

The last time I counted, I have been to nearly 30 tracks from California to Florida to NY and points in between. The worst I have EVER been around are at Pimlico, 1st floor grandstand.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #47
thaskalos

"Lefty" is not a loudmouth...but I feel that his story needs to be told.

When I moved into my current address here a few years ago...I was pleasantly surprised to find out that an OTB was conveniently located only four minutes away from my house. I eagerly visited the place for the first time...and I thought the place was GREAT. Nice and clean, with a lot of space...and even decent food.

But my SECOND visit there was the one I'll never forget.

As soon as I got into the place..."Lefty" met me practically at the door, and offered me the simulcasting programs free of charge...while ushering me to my own private table. I remember thinking..."Look how nicely this place is run. They find out immediately who their best customers are...and they try to make them feel special."

It was only later that I found out the truth...

"Lefty" wasn't an OTB employee at all. He was just an advanced moocher...who had elevated his "skill" to an art form. He had become acquainted with the tellers in the place...and they would tip him off on who the bigger players were. "Lefty" would then befriend these players...and try to gain their confidence by committing unsolicited acts of kindness for them -- even before introducing himself.

He would offer them a free simulcast program...buy them a cup of coffee...and even try to keep the local riff-raff away from the table where these players were sitting. This was all an act...to make you feel obligated to him in some way. Now...if you happened to cash a sizable ticket while using the free program that he gave you..."Lefty" counted on your own generosity to assist you in repaying him in some way. If your own generosity wasn't up to the task...then "Lefty" would give you a subtle hint.

I found out that this was a calculated maneuver, when I saw "Lefty" in a remote corner of the OTB, severely reprimanding one of the other local moochers...for moving into his territory and trying to take away one of his "customers".

"Find your OWN damned customers"...he told him, menacingly...

"Lefty" is still there today...where he is considered to be one of the nicest guys in the joint.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #48
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

That's great. Talk about an Entrepreneur! He has elevated that to a new level! He's basically the Concierge of OTB. You want it, he gets it for you, for a small fee of course. You gotta' hand it to his Entrepreneurial Spirit!

I really do love this thread. Great stories guys. Thanks.

Last edited by BettinBilly; 03-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.
BettinBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #49
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

When I was young I was a bit of a rooter.
I learned quickly to shut up.

Having a good day at the OTB and letting everyone know it just isn't a good idea.
Hit a few good prices and suddenly you're an authority, you're frickin' Pittsburgh Phil for chrissakes....folks begin to flock to your cubicle, strangers asking questions about the next race, ready to put their complete trust in your pick after watching you win all of two races in a row.
Madness.

Not to mention the other "friends" you attract, those who may want to introduce themselves to you outside on the way to your car.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #50
Cholly

Years ago at the Lone Star simulcast, there was a group of “dedicated regulars” (a/k/a dressed-up riff-raff) who religiously enforced a 30-second rule. Following any race, patrons near TV-screen area they ruled were allowed 30 seconds to bitch as loudly as they wanted about no-riding jockeys, cheating trainers, trifectas they almost had, management scum, or any other target. But after 30 seconds they’d be vociferously instructed to “STFU, 30 seconds are over”. Enforcement was so consistent that this quirky regime of manners always held sway, and everyone went on to the next debacle.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #51
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly
... there was a group of “dedicated regulars” (a/k/a dressed-up riff-raff) who religiously enforced a 30-second rule....
That's actually pretty great.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #52
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Amazingly though - I have gotten some good advice/angles from some of these loudmouths after a nice score.

I will never forget the late Charles "Lucky Chucky" Gage screaming about betting jockey Chris DeCarlo with speed horses on the turf at Mth.
Been using that angle ever since.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #53
theguarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
has anyone mentioned the "I gave you the winner" guy?
talks incessantly about all kinds of horses, and when one of them happens to win suddenly it's "did you have it? What? I gave you the winner man."
Love it, especially when you already liked the horse.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the guy coming back in from a smoke break who starts incessantly screaming "COME ON WITH THIS F----ING , GET HIM UP, GET THIS UP" who gets interrupted by one of the more savvy jaded customer's "that's the f----ing replay you moron, the is still running"
theguarantee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #54
jahura2

Unfortunately here in central Kentucky there is a new breed of" loud mouthed guy at the track". Keeneland caters to the young college crowd, that gets way too drunk, behaves way too rude, and is way too obnoxious for me. Please dont say this is creating new fans because that is not the case with this bunch.
The old handicappers like myself are disappearing from the live meet and this is one of the reasons.
I can deal with all of the examples you all have provided because in a way those old stereotypes belong and were part of my upbringing at the track.
I guess I am getting too grumpy to deal with the young bucks.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #55
Cholly

Confession time: one decade + ago it was your humble servant Cholly playing the loud-mouthed buffoon.

At the Lone Star simo, an employee (I forget his name, but call him “Billy”) was always stationed at the exit door. If you were returning that day, he would stamp your hand so that you wouldn’t have to pay the $2 entrance fee to get back in. He sat on his stool and mumbled to each departing customer, “Coming back today? Coming back today?”

Leaving after one miserable track day, I was confronted by Billy’s “Coming back today? Coming back today?” I dramatically threw my racing form in the adjacent trashcan. Then I turned on Billy, “I’M NOT COMING BACK TODAY. I’M NOT COMING BACK TOMORROW. AND I’M NOT COMING BACK THE DAY AFTER THAT. IN FACT, I’M NEVER, EVER COMING BACK TO THIS G____ D____ CRUMMY GYP-JOINT AGAIN!”

Billy was totally unfazed. As I stormed off to the parking lot, I heard his mumbled reply, “See you tomorrow.” And of course, he was right.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #56
Mystic

Quote:
Confession time: one decade + ago it was your humble servant Cholly playing the loud-mouthed buffoon.

At the Lone Star simo, an employee (I forget his name, but call him “Billy”) was always stationed at the exit door. If you were returning that day, he would stamp your hand so that you wouldn’t have to pay the $2 entrance fee to get back in. He sat on his stool and mumbled to each departing customer, “Coming back today? Coming back today?”

Leaving after one miserable track day, I was confronted by Billy’s “Coming back today? Coming back today?” I dramatically threw my racing form in the adjacent trashcan. Then I turned on Billy, “I’M NOT COMING BACK TODAY. I’M NOT COMING BACK TOMORROW. AND I’M NOT COMING BACK THE DAY AFTER THAT. IN FACT, I’M NEVER, EVER COMING BACK TO THIS G____ D____ CRUMMY GYP-JOINT AGAIN!”

Billy was totally unfazed. As I stormed off to the parking lot, I heard his mumbled reply, “See you tomorrow.” And of course, he was right.
Great story
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #57
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2
Unfortunately here in central Kentucky there is a new breed of" loud mouthed guy at the track". Keeneland caters to the young college crowd, that gets way too drunk, behaves way too rude, and is way too obnoxious for me. Please dont say this is creating new fans because that is not the case with this bunch.
Since the mid 90s, going to Keeneland many times, the worst display I've ever heard or seen at a track or OTB was on this property. It was a UK student with a crowd of friends, male and female. Partying. I have no idea if they were betting. Dumb money, if so!

Myself and a couple of friends were sitting in my car, talking, waiting for traffic to thin out. This guy stepped behind the car in front of mine. (He didn't see us--no clue we were there.) He leaned his hand on the trunk of the car to steady himself and put his drink down. He unzipped his pants, (seeing that was the first laugh) and started to pee. In the middle of this, he leaned over and puked which caused him to become less focused. He covered his khaki pants and his shoes in urine, beer, and chunks. He put himself back inside, zipped up, straightened his preppy bow tie, and stumbled back to his friends. He never saw us. I'm wrapped up on my steering wheel laughing so hard I'm crying. My friends, doing the same. He must've been deaf not to hear us.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #58
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:

THAT WAS YOU???

-Billy
BettinBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #59
LottaKash

Quote:
I can definitely relate to that, as I have quit horse horse racing maybe a 100x....And, after more than 50+ years of it, I still love it..
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #60
ldiatone

i still get a kick about as soon as a race is over one can hear the thumping of fists-forearms and whatever on the desks the losing players are sitting at.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply