Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #31
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
From my experience, a lot of those accidents are the result of employees failing to follow procedures and cutting corners.
When we would try to write up employees for not following the rules, guess who ALWAYS got involved and tried to stop us?

THe UAW.......
Fortunately I never worked in a union shop. I did work for an aerospace manufacturer that while non union had a lot of union like policies. I did get called in to human resources a few times for how I talked to people when I witnessed unsafe practices. If I got any back talk when bringing up safety issues I pretty much lost it.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #32
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
From my experience, a lot of those accidents are the result of employees failing to follow procedures and cutting corners.
When we would try to write up employees for not following the rules, guess who ALWAYS got involved and tried to stop us?

THe UAW.......
Tom have you ever worked in a custom shop environment? I have done both assembly line mass manufacturing an custom work.
Do you use mandatory table saw guards. Often some physically small projects can not be done with most guards designed for standard size items.

There are ways to remain safe even in these projects. However guards must be re-installed afterward. I've seen incompetent workers work without guards on a regular basis. Not pretty.

FYI

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was established in 1971. Since then, OSHA and our state partners, coupled with the efforts of employers, safety and health professionals, unions and advocates, have had a dramatic effect on workplace safety. Fatality and injury rates have dropped markedly. Although accurate statistics were not kept at the time, it is estimated that in 1970 around 14,000 workers were killed on the job. That number fell to approximately 4,340 in 2009. At the same time, U.S. employment has almost doubled and now includes over 130 million workers at more than 7.2 million worksites. Since the passage of the OSH Act, the rate of reported serious workplace injuries and illnesses has declined from 11 per 100 workers in 1972 to 3.6 per 100 workers in 2009. OSHA safety and health standards, including those for trenching, machine guarding, asbestos, benzene, lead, and bloodborne pathogens have prevented +
countless work-related injuries, illnesses and deaths. This timeline highlights key milestones in occupational safety and health history since the creation of OSHA.

Besides the article I linked to, stated there was a financial gain to the use of regulations. That includes safety regulaions and the late 1800's and early 20th century horrors like the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire closed the door popularly on robber baron type worker abuse.

Read The Jungle a 1906 novel written by the American journalist and novelist Upton Sinclair (1878–1968). Sinclair wrote the novel to portray the harsh conditions and exploited lives of immigrants in the United States in Chicago and similar industrialized cities. His primary purpose in describing the meat industry and its working ...
‎Upton Sinclair · ‎The Jungle (1914 film) · ‎Federal Meat Inspection Act
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #33
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I work with metal on the day job which is way more dangerous than woodworking. I have done plenty of woodworking on personal projects. I am positive I have used a lot more dangerous equipment than you have. I am a DIY guy that is pretty unmatched in the wide range of what I have done.
I don't believe your boasting and if you know anything about skilled crafstmen (having been one or so you claim) it is human nature to loose attention from time to time, unless your superman like the dork-in-chief.

Of course it takes self awareness to know when one is faltering and to take a brief break. Seeing you have none, I wouldn't stand within 20 feet of you using a hammer and nails let alone a table saw

Last edited by hcap; 03-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #34
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I don't believe your boasting and if you know anything about skilled crafstmen (having been one or so you claim) it is human nature to loose attention from time to time, unless your superman like the dork-in-chief.

Of course it takes self awareness to know when one is faltering and to take a brief break. Seeing you have none, I wouldn't stand within 20 feet of you using a hammer and nails let alone a table saw
You are the one who stuck your foot in your mouth, not me. I am not boasting, just being truthful. Why do you have to always condescend to people and call names like a 5 year old? What part of my so called "boasting" do you not believe? I don't think I claimed to be an astronaut or a rocket scientist.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 03-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #35
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You are the one who stuck your foot in your mouth, not me. I am not boasting, just being truthful. Why do you have to always condescend to people and call names like a 5 year old? What part of my so called "boasting" do you not believe? I don't think I claimed to be an astronaut or a rocket scientist.
You started this nonsense saying I did not supervise properly. You are the perfect candidate for "ignore" that ignorant a**hole
Old 03-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #36
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Quote:
You started this nonsense saying I did not supervise properly. You are the perfect candidate for "ignore" that ignorant a**hole

You are the one who admitted to not supervising properly, saying there were terrible accidents under your watch. Once again you resort to grade school name calling as I caught you putting your foot in your mouth and calling you out on it. If you are calling me ignorant direct me to an I.Q. test and we will both take it and publish the results.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #37
hcap

Quote:
You are the one who admitted to not supervising properly, saying there were terrible accidents under your watch. Once again you resort to grade school name calling as I caught you putting your foot in your mouth and calling you out on it. If you are calling me ignorant direct me to an I.Q. test and we will both take it and publish the results.
Did no such thing. You are lying . Let's stop this bullshit now
Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #38
boxcar

Quote:
Why don't you ever admit when you have stuck your foot in your mouth?
You said you "ran" the shop, then said you saw some awful accidents mostly caused by inattentiveness. Whose job is it to make sure the workforce pays attention at all times? You are right, I never filled out worker's compensation reports because no one on my watch needed more than a band aid.

I work with metal on the day job which is way more dangerous than woodworking. I have done plenty of woodworking on personal projects. I am positive I have used a lot more dangerous equipment than you have. I am a DIY guy that is pretty unmatched in the wide range of what I have done.
Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread very closely, but I know from years of experience dealing with Hcap that he's very susceptible to contracting that nasty hoof-'n- mouth disease. The reason, I have unlurked now in this thread is because my truth sniff detector was set off by what you wrote about "inattentiveness" being the primary source of accidents in Hcap's shop. And then later, Hcap said it was "human nature" I guess to become unfocused. And this brings me to a question or two for Mr. 'cap.

Mr. 'cap sir, how would more government regulations (which is the topic of this thread), correct the problem of "inattentiveness"? Or how would more government regs change human nature?
Old 03-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #39
hcap

Box, you know zip about everything. Re-lurk and reread
Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #40
boxcar

Quote:
Box, you know zip about everything. Re-lurk and reread
Your non-answer is proof-positive that to this day you suffer from CHRONIC hoof-'n-mouth disease.

Thanks for playing.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #41
mrhorseplayer

most people that want more regulation or government control is so they can feel safe.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #42
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
most people that want more regulation or government control is so they can feel safe.
Some want it to utterly destroy stale com talking points about destroying government.

HERE'S A CLASSIC:I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub....Grover Norquist
Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #43
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
Many of us want less regulation or government control so that we can feel safe.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #44
Clocker

Quote:
Some want it to utterly destroy stale com talking points about destroying government.

You don't find it the least bit ironic that you are trying to use government statistics to prove that the government is doing a good job?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #45
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
You don't find it the least bit ironic that you are trying to use government statistics to proe that the government is doing a good job?
Sure so what? I use government agencies to debunk looney tune climate change denial. This is from the article.....

"Republicans hate regulations. Donald Trump hates regulations. OMB chief Mick Mulvaney hates regulations. So it must have killed him to publish the most recent report to Congress on the costs and benefits of major regulations. Unfortunately, there’s a regulation that requires it, so the report was submitted once again. Here are the estimated net benefits (benefits minus costs) of major regulations over the past decade:"¹

Not all regulations have been DE-regulated yet.

Last edited by hcap; 03-10-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: