Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R8 Santa Anita: $100K Sensational Star

This is as good and deep a field as one will see all week. A Grade 2 quality field running for $100K down the hill at the Great Race Place. As tough a race as one will find.

Tribal Storm: I'm not always a big fan of the AW to Turf angle, but this guy is in as good of form as he has even been starting off his 4YO season. He has hit the board in 10 of his 13 lifetime starts and has won down the hill before. A very interesting entry to start this off with Bejarano in the irons.

Anatolian Heat: May be in a bit deep here, but the Miller barn is having a great meet and Geovanni Franco is having his own coming out party. While he doesn't seem likely, he wouldn't be a shock.

Jimmy Bouncer: An all or nothing sort that has 8 career wins in 20 starts. The ever dangerous Nakatani who is as good as anybody down the hill gets the call, but Pender hasn't exactly been the best news for this guy. Gotta look elsewhere.

Masochistic: Has age finally caught up with this one? Not all that long ago he was as good a sprinter in the country as anybody. Now at 8YO, he is taken to the turf in his first ever career turf race? His 2nd race under the tutelage of Baffert may be a great one, but at a likely very small price after his absolute clunker in his last?

Richard's Boy: Always seems to be in the mix, and his 9 career wins and 23 out of 29 board hitting career efforts scream an "always contender" type tag. Just 3 back he was a head shy of winning the Breeder's Cup Turf Sprint. His last 2 coming back off of that one weren't awful, but certainly weren't great either. 9 for 10 down the hill board hitting style is impressive, but only has 2 wins in those efforts. Can't be dismissed.

Smokey Image: I've always kind of liked this guy, but this doesn't look like the greatest spot for him sprinting down the hill amid this crowd. Training lights out right now, so maybe this is what he should have been doing all along? He has won half a million, and one could make worse wagers than a W bet on Smokey today.

Tough Sunday: Namesake is right. Tough race. Tough Sunday. In 17 lifetime starts, this guy has only ran on turf once, and got it done. Fairly solidly in form, and with a good trip is extremely dangerous. 14 for 17 in the money lifetime, and like almost everybody else in here, would certainly not be a shock to win.

Fly to Mars: Just off of his last two races, he has to be respected as a newly christened 4YO. Interesting to see that Evin Roman looks to have finally lost his "bug" jockey weight allowance which seemed to have lasted a near decade. Price and time could be just right for this one.

Chief Hosa: Little doubt what this one will do. He'll get to the lead and try to wall off this solid group of horses to the wire. Not sure he is good enough to do that against these.

B Squared: They have never backed off from competition for this guy, and today is no different. Beaten as chalk last out, and with not much of an excuse. Reddam and O'Neill are always dangerous, and if you like this one, you'll likely get a "square" price. He beat the Richard's Boy not all that long ago on this very course.

Solid Wager: A hard knocking sort that enters his 7YO season. After being a long time dirt sprinter, he returns to turf in this one for his 4th career start on the surface. He is 3-0-0-0 on turf, and this isn't exactly the best group to start a new venture on improving that record as a 7YO. I've always liked this guy, but this looks to be a really tough one to see.

AE's, and will look at if scratches/changes demand. If any do get in, the looks to be an exotics player, but none look to be real legit W contenders.

SUMMARY: A mind-numbingly tough race with almost an entire field of 11 that you can make a case for winning. Like the and the with him. Should be a lively and extremely interesting tote board.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Cant even look at this race until all the off turf scratches are announced.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Cant even look at this race until all the off turf scratches are announced.

True.

I likely wasted a lot of time and frustration.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

I will not be using Well Measured (likely 2nd betting choice, r7) in any multis that connect r7
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

r8 looks too tough.

in an off-the-turf race, I'm looking to eliminate a favorite who happens to be favored due to turf form.

Closest thing here is 'Richard's Boy'. He's not a 'slow' turf type. I don't see an obvious reason for his form to fail to translate. If YOU do, then there ya go..

other way to go is to toss the . After his lifetime 'training' history, horse probably has roughly the hormone profile of a menopausal tiger shark... Lot of talk saying his lemon has been squeezed dry, and recent form agrees. He'll likely be 2nd choice in the betting(maybe even favored if the public goes full-baffert). I just don't have a strong opinion on this one. Wouldn't surprise me if he's 2 lengths the best or off-the-board.

Even having 1 strong piece of information (vs. well measured r7) isn't particularly great (airfoil likely solid favorite) here.

Good luck if you play, or please share if you see something here

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-11-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
r8 looks too tough.

in an off-the-turf race, I'm looking to eliminate a favorite who happens to be favored due to turf form.

Closest thing here is 'Richard's Boy'. He's not a 'slow' turf type. I don't see an obvious reason for his form to fail to translate. If YOU do, then there ya go..

other way to go is to toss the . After his lifetime 'training' history, horse probably has roughly the hormone profile of a menopausal tiger shark... Lot of talk saying his lemon has been squeezed dry, and recent form agrees. He'll likely be 2nd choice in the betting(maybe even favored if the public goes full-baffert). I just don't have a strong opinion on this one. Wouldn't surprise me if he's 2 lengths the best or off-the-board.

Even having 1 strong piece of information (vs. well measured r7) isn't particularly great (airfoil likely solid favorite) here.

Good luck if you play, or please share if you see something here
Thanks for the info RP.

are scratches.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
RunDustyRun

is newly gelded and creative causes can run on an off track...wouldnt discount...like the : as well

Last edited by RunDustyRun; 03-11-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Tough Sunday

More than tough today. Ran really well.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Immortal6

Masochistic retired after this race.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #10
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Masochistic retired after this race.
12K claimer running 4 and 1/2 at Charlestown without the steroids.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: