Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #16
so.cal.fan

Your favorite play, Tom........
works really good in So. Cal. distance races, especially with younger horses.
Don't know if you play So. Cal. but you may want to check it out.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2003, 08:25 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking SCF

Now that I have TVG, I am going to start playing Hollywood.
Never really played a lot there, but nows a good time to start. I also have a quarter horse method from Ken Massa, so heck, bring on Los Alamitos, too.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #18
kitts

Tom@HTR says it right in that part of the attraction (to me) in RS/POS is that it is very rigid in its definitions. If a horse wins as E, EP, P and SS he is forever labeled SS (the furthest "out" winning effort)and if the horse ran its fastest first quarter 10 races ago in the slop at SA at 21.2, then that horse is a 21.2 and is compared to today's horses as such (until he runs a 1/4 faster than 21.2). Take this a step further by making him the SS horse as described above and today there are 3 horses who ran faster best ever first quarter which makes our guy a SS4. I am confident that the horse will run very close to 4th at the first call, but it might be as an E since suddenly he running on the lead again. Some fun, eh?

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2003, 11:02 PM   #19
GameTheory

It is not actually "forever" is it? I thought the most recent three wins were used for the running style, and the 1/4 mile rank came from the most recent 10 races...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #20
kitts

Jim Cramer may have changed his rules but I doubt it. Doing it manually did not give him more than 10 running lines but now that he has the humongous database, I'll bet he sticks to his plan. The Running Style is the "furthest out" (see above for definition)ever ran by the horse in a winning effort. The first quarter number can change if the horse runs a faster one.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
Old 05-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #21
GameTheory

I am referring to the rules in the file at the RS-POS site:

http://www.rspos.com/Rs-Pos_Intro.pdf

In that document it says he uses the last 10 races for the 1/4 mile ranking and the last three wins are used for the running style. (See the first sentence below the running style table.)
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #22
kitts

GameTheory-

No fair-you went and read the rules.<g> I'll be the last to dispute them.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #23
cnollfan

RsPos update?

Digging up old RsPos thread. Came across RsPos last night and it looked interesting. Are there any current users of RsPos on PA? Opinions as to quality and usefulness? Thanks.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #24
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Considering the age of the thread and no recent talk, I'd say they all retired to Tahiti , unlisted numbers.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #25
so.cal.fan

If I were betting dirt races...yes I would use a loose form if it. Probably just check current races.
There are probably better methods, but I'm not sure.
I do not believe it is useful in Turf Races.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It is a very structured method that gets you using consistent running style designations. I find it overall a useful method and I use parts of it to this day.
Well worth looking at and kicking the tires.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #27
thaskalos

I subscribed to the Rs-Pos Reports last Friday...and Ron Tiller was kind enough to offer me a test trial of his product. I am mainly interested in Jim Cramer's speed and pace figures -- which I had heard were EXCELLENT -- but I am not entirely sold on the concept of assigning "precise" description labels to the particular running styles of the horses.

As I work my way through the Rs-Pos methodology, I wonder if these running style determinations should be based on only the WINNING races of the particular horses. I mean...if a horse has only one career victory while coming from a few lengths back, but it also has 4 wire-to-wire efforts at the same distance where this horse lost the race in a photo...should the narrow wire-to-wire losses be disregarded, and the horse be designated a PRESSER?

While the Rs-Pos methodology remains a mystery to me...I find that Cramer's speed and pace figures are indeed as good as advertised.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I tend to modify the approach to use non winning races. When you play Tampa Bay and Penn, the last three winning races might be the whole card!

I use close up races sometimes, and if a horse changes trainers and looks to be a different animal, I make sensible adjustments.

I was wondering if you got the RS/POS materials. I have the Crammer speed figs in the HTR screens, and pace figs available in exports, so I am familiar with them - agree, very good.

Glad you are satisfied - Ron is a solid guy!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #29
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I subscribed to the Rs-Pos Reports last Friday...and Ron Tiller was kind enough to offer me a test trial of his product. I am mainly interested in Jim Cramer's speed and pace figures -- which I had heard were EXCELLENT -- but I am not entirely sold on the concept of assigning "precise" description labels to the particular running styles of the horses.

As I work my way through the Rs-Pos methodology, I wonder if these running style determinations should be based on only the WINNING races of the particular horses. I mean...if a horse has only one career victory while coming from a few lengths back, but it also has 4 wire-to-wire efforts at the same distance where this horse lost the race in a photo...should the narrow wire-to-wire losses be disregarded, and the horse be designated a PRESSER?

While the Rs-Pos methodology remains a mystery to me...I find that Cramer's speed and pace figures are indeed as good as advertised.
Great, so now your game will improve from where it stands now? I give (expletive) up.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #30
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic1
Great, so now your game will improve from where it stands now? I give (expletive) up.
I wanted to distance myself from the DRF...and HDW is a much better alternative, IMO. And, best of all...I am even getting the hang of handicapping on a computer screen.

DRF...it was nice knowing you.