Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Is this Democracy?

Afghanisan....a citizen faces the death penalty for converting to Christainity 16 years ago. The DA will drop the charges if he returns to Islam. The constitution of Afghanistan is based on Islamic law.
How you call it a democracy when it is based on Islamic law? The two were mutually exclusive. You cannot have a democracy when your contstitution is based on Islamic law.
It's is like calling a pig a pony and trying to find a saddle for it.
Is this what we sacrificed so many young lives and billions of dollars for? To put strong arm islamic thugs back in power? Tell me how this differed from the Taliban?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

reminds me of the early model t

you can have any color you want...........as long as it's black
Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
ljb
Veteran

Well yeah, but we got Saddam. Maybe they just have to hold another election.

Last edited by ljb; 03-20-2006 at 09:30 PM.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wrong country, whiz kid.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Tom, cruise on over to the LA Times web site. Look at the world news section for the rest of this article that appeared in the 3/20 edition. It'll be on the web for 5 days.
Separation of Mosque, State Wanes in Indonesia
MALANG, Indonesia — Yusman Roy, a former boxer and a convert to Islam, is serving two years in prison because he believes that Muslims should pray in a language they can understand.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Bala

Is this Democracy?

Well—yes it is a democracy! Also, Hamas was elected by the people for the people. In a democracy {one man one vote} often the biggest mob with the most votes wins.

Thankfully, the framers of our constitution knew this. The signers of our early govt. gave us a REPRESENTATIVE REPUBLIC. <<<http://snipurl.com/nwhy>>> <<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic>>>

Old 03-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Wrong country, whiz kid.
Well then, tell me how was the current leadership in Afghanistan selected? Last I heard they had an election. Whiz on that for a bit kiddo.
And the reference to Saddam was trying show what our success has been in our efforts to bring democracy to the mid-east. You are sounding a bit like Lefty here, narrowminded.

Last edited by ljb; 03-21-2006 at 08:59 AM.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
so.cal.fan

Tom?
The Islamic states are what they are......they aren't US.
They are not nearly as evolved as the United States.......the problematic issue with trying to convert these peoples to Democracy is that it will take decades! We had good intentions...but were naive enough to think we could convert these people in a few short years. It isn't going to happen that way...it is actually amazing that we have made as much progress as we have made.
Until the Islamic states evolve to the level of most of the rest of the world?
It's a difficult situation that I sure have no answer for, and sadly I don't think anyone else really does either.
Wahabism (spelling?) is probably one of the lowest forms of "government", on the planet today. It is repressive at best and at worst......we have all seen the results.........
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
doophus

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Tom?
Wahabism (spelling?) is probably one of the lowest forms of "government", on the planet today. It is repressive at best and at worst......we have all seen the results.........
The word "Wahabism" should be replaced with "Islam."

If you want a good read on Islam, get "The Politically Incorrect Guide to ISLAM (and the Crusades)." Written by Robert Spencer, Director of Jihad Watch, who now lives in a secure but undisclosed location WITHIN THE USA! Published by Regnery Publishing.

This war has been going for centuries and the Islam religion is winning.
doophus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
lsbets

What gets me is the people who live in the US and are so quick to condemn Christianity, yet never, ever utter a peep when it comes to the backwardness and repressiveness of modern Islam. If it involves Pat Robertson, they condemn it right away. If it involves 7th century thinking and brutality from Muslims, they don't say a word. I can't think of a nice way to say this, but I don't really worry about being nice - if you think the Christian right is more of a threat to freedom in the world than modern Islam, you're an idiot.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
so.cal.fan

This has been going on for centuries, that is a fact. However, these wahabists want to drag their people back to the 7th century.
The world has evolved since then.......the world will not revert back to the 7th century, and they will not win......however.......they are the biggest threat to evolution of the planet we have probably ever seen.
It is going to take a long time, and a lot of lives will be lost.
These are "people" who blow up their own people. People who approve of their children attaching bombs to their bodies and blowing innocent men, women and children to bits........
If anyone remembers right after 9/11.....President Bush went on TV and said that this war on terrorism was going to last a very long time.....perhaps decades. He told us there would have to be sad sacrifices made......many lives of American soldiers would be lost, but the world had to defeat these terrorists or be destroyed. They don't want to take over the world, friends....they want to KILL ALL OF US....we are infidels......we DESERVE to DIE..........this is their core belief, there is no doubt in my mind.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
so.cal.fan

Any type of extreme fundamentalism is not going to contribute to the betterment of the world. These are problematic "religions".
The Christian "moderate" right are integrous people. They are no threat to anyone. They are a benefit to society.....however, when you get too far to the right.....you are looking at something which disturbingly resembles fundamentalist Islam.
Let me add fundamentalist atheism to the above problematic "religion" list.
Their "religion" is that they believe their egos are God.....they HATE Divinity and have the insane idea they can PROVE there is no GOD.
When the world finally evolves past these problematic groups.......it will be a lot better place.
I have faith that we will do just that.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #13
shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Tom?
The Islamic states are what they are......they aren't US.
They are not nearly as evolved as the United States.......the problematic issue with trying to convert these peoples to Democracy is that it will take decades! We had good intentions...but were naive enough to think we could convert these people in a few short years. It isn't going to happen that way...it is actually amazing that we have made as much progress as we have made.
Until the Islamic states evolve to the level of most of the rest of the world?
It's a difficult situation that I sure have no answer for, and sadly I don't think anyone else really does either.
I don't think change will ever come over there. Their religion is who they are, and their beliefs too strong too accept change. They have a history far longer than the USA. And religious beliefs have endured the worst of times against attacks.
shots is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
so.cal.fan

Shots, I can understand your dim view..........
If you read Tom Friedman (New York Times) he will give you a lot of insight into this question, I consider him an authority on the Middle East. I respect his opinion, even when I don't personally agree with him.....he always makes me think in a different way.
He explained in his book The World is Flat that due to the backward authoritarianism of Wahabism....it has created generations of people who feel humiliated by the progress of the rest of the world. They have been left behind, but due to the electronic age......they have access to even more destructive means to kill "infidels" who they truly believe deserve to die (that's us).
You may be right, but I hope you aren't, Shots.......I would like to believe that progress will eventually come and these Islamic states can catch up to the rest of the world and prosper and get along via free trade.
Perhaps that is a naive, sophomoric idea.........but I have to believe that eventually we all will evolve....even these poor souls.
If you are right....?..........well, then the world is going to take a lot longer to evolve.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
kenwoodallpromos

Democracy

definitions-Democracy= the form of government on the day of a fair election.
Democratic Republic= the continuing form of government from election to election where the voter have guns.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply