Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
W2G

Tipping pari-mutuel clerks?

Do you? If so how much? Is it a % of your score or a flat amount?
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
MONEY

Long thread on tipping below.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ghlight=clerks

I know a couple of parimutual clerks and they EXPECT 2% on signers.
They don't care if you are winning for the 1st time in a month and if you are still $10,000 in the hole, they still want their 2%.

money
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY

They don't care if you are winning for the 1st time in a month and if you are still $10,000 in the hole, they still want their 2%.

money
i mostly use self serve machines and i do not get signers as a rule because i usually bet nothing more exotic than an exacta or maybe a rare tri or p3 but not often. i stick to win bets and exactas and the few times i have had a signer, i have given a 5 or a 10 to the clerk

Last edited by fmolf; 06-01-2009 at 12:48 PM.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
macguy

I don't know why people use tellers anymore.

There are almost always lines for the tellers, sometimes 10 deep... and right next to them are 5 or 6 SAMs with nobody in sight.

Not only do I not have to stand in line, but I can bet on a voucher all afternoon and not worry about handling cash and cashing tickets and getting the correct change.

I usually use a teller twice. I purchase a voucher at the beginning of the day, and hopefully have something to cash out at the end of the day.

...the vouchers also seem to help me stick to my budget and not reach into my wallet for a few extra $20s.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy
I don't know why people use tellers anymore.

There are almost always lines for the tellers, sometimes 10 deep... and right next to them are 5 or 6 SAMs with nobody in sight.

Not only do I not have to stand in line, but I can bet on a voucher all afternoon and not worry about handling cash and cashing tickets and getting the correct change.

I usually use a teller twice. I purchase a voucher at the beginning of the day, and hopefully have something to cash out at the end of the day.

...the vouchers also seem to help me stick to my budget and not reach into my wallet for a few extra $20s.
that is one of the main reasons i use a machine now.. it does help me stick to my wagering guns and cuts down on impulse betting...i buy my voucher at the beginning of the day in the amount i have decided to wager that day and when it is gone (hopefully that does not happen)i am done wagering for the day!
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
miesque

Basically I use a range of $20 to $80 for signers. If I am in a good mood, I will tip between $5-10 for the more material non-signers (usually to make it a round payout for myself aka for a $306 payout give the teller the $6 and keep the three hundreds). In the Dining Room I tip servers 12-22% depending on the level of service.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
W2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY

money
Thanks, I see you all covered this already.

I've always tipped 2% -- without any other guidance the percentage just felt right. But I use the machines exclusively so have no allegiance to any teller. At the end of a good day I just select a teller that looks like they would be grateful for the tip. And I tip even if I have no signers -- just cashing out a big voucher (this practice seems questionable, but I'll probably continue nevertheless).

Last year at the BC I had a big signer and the white-haired gentlemen (at an IRS window no less) professed gratitude as if he'd never been tipped before. I suspect he was just hoping for my repeat business (which unfortunately was a non-issue) but it made me wonder what kind of tipping protocol exists.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
Basically I use a range of $20 to $80 for signers. If I am in a good mood, I will tip between $5-10 for the more material non-signers (usually to make it a round payout for myself aka for a $306 payout give the teller the $6 and keep the three hundreds). In the Dining Room I tip servers 12-22% depending on the level of service.
Pretty good rule of thumb is to always leave the coin, and rounding off to larger bills. I like buying a friendly clerks $1 Pik3 tickets also. I once bought a clerk a $1 Pik3 ticket that paid $380.... and I didn't have the ticket myself! I forgot to play the ticket again. That was the last time I made that mistake. I agonized over that for weeks.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Imriledup

Avoid using tellers and you won't have to tip. Cuts into the bottom line.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Bruddah
Veteran

Just my personal rule and belief. Because I use a strctured exotic, in my bets, I look for an experienced teller and use them exclusively. I always leave the change and round off the smaller bills. When I get a signer, I do the same plus 5%. Needless to say, these tellers take care of me.

My personal feelings are, if I can't afford to tip, I shouldn't be gambling. The same goes when I go to a restaurant or take a cab. Actually any service where I require or need or the services of another. Some people make their living on tips and I believe what goes around comes around. Just plain good Karma and appreciation for good service. (JMHO)
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Thumbs up Reservoir Dogs Tipping Scene

One of my favorite scenes of all time -- Classic Tarantino!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLVG...eature=related
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
Fred

I am at a loss on this one. I tip the valet attendant, I tip the bar maid or bartender, I even tip the guy or gal that sweeps the debris and cigarette butts of the floor. I always leave a tip for the housekeeper at the hotel. I tip the cab driver.

But I will not tip a teller that is simply cashing a ticket for me.

Freddy
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
slew101

I'm the same way, but I've never had an IRS score at the track. If I did, I likely would tip since they are handling paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
I am at a loss on this one. I tip the valet attendant, I tip the bar maid or bartender, I even tip the guy or gal that sweeps the debris and cigarette butts of the floor. I always leave a tip for the housekeeper at the hotel. I tip the cab driver.

Freddy
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Bruddah
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred

Freddy
I can understand your feelings. That's why I find an experienced teller for placing and cashing my bets. As I said, it's a personal preference for me when I am at the track.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #15
dav4463

I tip a girl if she's hot!