Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
onefast99

We just lost a horse we loved, he was a family member.

Today Gossip Column passed away he had been a member of our racing family and one of the nicest horses we have ever owned. We bought him in December of 2011 at the dispersal sale for Flying Z Stables. He instantly rewarded us with a win in a NY bred maiden on Belmont Stakes Day and followed up with 4 seconds two at Belmont and 2 at Saratoga in first level NY Bred allowance races. We were 9/5 twice at Saratoga and we only lost by a length each time but still enjoyed being in the spotlight for that one moment. For those of you that have owned horses as well as family pets losing one isn't easy. My entire family became attached to this horse from day one. To a really nice horse who made everyone smile thank you Gossip Column for coming into our lives and making racing a lot of fun. You will be missed by our family and all those who you have touched!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
ultracapper

Makes me never want to call a horse a pig again. Even the hangers are loved by somebody (not trying to be a wise guy. Just read that and I'm hoping it doesn't get taken wrong)

Best to you and yours.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

I'm sorry for your loss, Onefast.

Ultracapper, unfortunately not all horses are loved. That has always struck me as probably the saddest thing about the sport. It's bad enough that they may break down or be stricken, but to think that they died without someone who cared is heart-breaking. There are some cold hearts in the sport who will push these animals and not care what becomes of them.

Gossip Column was one of the lucky ones in that respect.

Take care, Onefast.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
onefast99

Thanks guys. The tough part was just telling my daughter the horse died.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
098poi

My condolences. I can't imagine what you are going through. I love animals and know how close we become.

I remember years ago after a horse broke down in a big race, I think the trainer and his wife owned the horse or maybe they just trained him, but there was the guy from TV shoving a mike in the guys face asking all those how do you feel questions. He was clearly distraught and all I wanted to smash the guy with the mike in the face.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Mandrake
Veteran

Larry Jones and Eight Belles. He was so distraught he left the business for a while.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

I'm so sorry for your loss Brian,I myself know what its like to lose them,To lose them in a claiming race is hard enough,Never mind losing a animal thats a family member,My heart goes out to your little girl as I know she loves these animals..Remember the good times ..
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
VeryOldMan

My condolences for your loss.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I'm so sorry for your loss Brian,I myself know what its like to lose them,To lose them in a claiming race is hard enough,Never mind losing a animal thats a family member,My heart goes out to your little girl as I know she loves these animals..Remember the good times ..
Thank you, this was a tough one, he was such a cool horse. I'm sure you have seen and been around a lot more then I will ever be around but this guy was so lovable. We just watched his two Saratoga races again. Hopefully he is in a better place.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Really sorry to hear this. I imagine the lows are as low or lower than the highest highs when it comes to owning horses. Hang in there buddy.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sorry to hear. It's hard to lose a friend like that.
I'm sure he had a happy life with you, remember that.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #12
pandy

That must be tough, sorry to hear about your loss.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #13
iceknight

Sorry to hear this. I think what you said about losing pets is very true. They are truly family members, only they speak a different language and it is one of love.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
chaz63

So sorry to hear......R.I.P
chaz63 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #15
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Today Gossip Column passed away he had been a member of our racing family and one of the nicest horses we have ever owned. We bought him in December of 2011 at the dispersal sale for Flying Z Stables. He instantly rewarded us with a win in a NY bred maiden on Belmont Stakes Day and followed up with 4 seconds two at Belmont and 2 at Saratoga in first level NY Bred allowance races. We were 9/5 twice at Saratoga and we only lost by a length each time but still enjoyed being in the spotlight for that one moment. For those of you that have owned horses as well as family pets losing one isn't easy. My entire family became attached to this horse from day one. To a really nice horse who made everyone smile thank you Gossip Column for coming into our lives and making racing a lot of fun. You will be missed by our family and all those who you have touched!
Sorry for your loss, 99....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: