Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: Is there a need for an open source past performance reseach and presentation library?
No, I would never use it 3 9.38%
I will give it a try and see if it meets my needs 24 75.00%
I need something like this 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. This poll is closed

Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #226
Seabiscuit@AR

DJofSD

I believe British racing lost a copyright case. However Australian racing fields are copyrighted. They got the various state governments to enact legislation after the British lost their case so Australian vs British racing is different in that regard

Not sure the stuff on HKJC website is simply facts. Would take a fair bit of work to reproduce the info that the HKJC supply on their website
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #227
DJofSD
Screw PC

Some links for those two instances would be appreciated.

Copyrighted material, at least in the US and Europe, can still be used under the fair use concept.

What are the laws and guidelines for HK is beyond me.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #228
traynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
For now I will focus on our racing only..

As a side note, although Hong Kong racing looks so impressive from the first glance, the only reason I might bet in a foreign pool, would be be the offering of fixed odds (which I believe does not exist for HK racing) and nothing else.
Not surprising. There are a number of apps already, and more being developed. None are open source. That, too, is not surprising.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #229
Seabiscuit@AR

DJofSD

Here is a news story about British racing losing their copyright case in 2004

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...cash-case.html

Here is a news story on the Australian case

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-3...battle/3922762
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #230
DJofSD
Screw PC

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #231
TrifectaMike

Quote:
Superior Speed Figures as a dependency of high processing speed

One of the most important advantage of having a fast parser been able to go through thousands of cards per second can be seen in the ability to create superior speed rating which will be customizable on the fly. The decoration of the PP with this type of ratings, covering each horse individually and the race itself as as component, will be one of the next steps towards the creation of the toolkit...
DL, this area can surely can use some new approaches.

Mike
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #232
DeltaLover

Here:

http://themindofagambler.com/mediawi...Player_Toolkit

you can see an initial list of factors that I put together very quickly, I am sure that I am missing a lot.. Feel free to propose any factors you might like...
Old 07-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #233
traynor

Quote:
I have just pushed an early release implementing a utility to import Bris PP to a mongo db.

Source code can be cloned from here:
https://github.com/deltalover/hoplato

PDF documentation can be found here:
http://www.themindofagambler.com/api.pdf

You will need python, nosetests, pip, pymongo and mongodb to run the code. You need to place your pp fileds in directories named after the year they reprsent and place them under any directory the name of which you will set to an environment variable as you can read in the documentation of importdata.py...

Also before you run nose or importdata, you need to do a python setup.py develop under the main directory..

Preferable you will need a 64 bit box since the volume of the data is very large... Let me know for any help you might need
Has anyone downloaded and set this up? If so, how much tinkering was involved, how long did it take, and how does it work? Meaning, is the data downloaded appropriately, and in a usable state?
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #234
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
Has anyone downloaded and set this up? If so, how much tinkering was involved, how long did it take, and how does it work? Meaning, is the data downloaded appropriately, and in a usable state?
I was wondering the same things. I personally don't have the guts yet.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #235
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
As far as I know, nobody has downloaded this library so far. For the movement I will concentrate in a very fast PP loaded and factor analyzer (written in C++ and not in python) which can be seen here:

https://github.com/deltalover/thogar

The output of this will be used from the python application (which is going to be too slow for this kind of processing and this is why I am using C++ for it)

The factors I am planning to implement for the first pass are the following:

http://themindofagambler.com/mediawi...oolkit#Changes

We can always discuss the factors and ratings that will be used...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #236
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I was wondering the same things. I personally don't have the guts yet.

When I complete the current project I will post detailed instructions of how to install and run it.. It should be pretty simple and straightforward...
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #237
eurocapper

Perhaps it would provide some added value to some people over other (easier to use) existing tools if it also provided Bayesian (that I know you have mentioned here) or other data mining research tools (not me though, I believe in theory and deduction over data mining). Otherwise what would one do with a database.
eurocapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #238
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocapper
Perhaps it would provide some added value to some people over other (easier to use) existing tools if it also provided Bayesian (that I know you have mentioned here) or other data mining research tools (not me though, I believe in theory and deduction over data mining). Otherwise what would one do with a database.
Obviously, research, "what ifs", modeling by track, distance, surface, class, etc., custom factor creation is a biggie. Lots that can be done with such a database model, but for it to be widely accepted to maximize collaboration, it must be easy for the average player to set up and operate. As we are seeing, those here who really "get it", and could offer programming and other technical help, are choosing to not participate in its development. So, most users will probably be more traditional players, with little or no programming or technical knowledge.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #239
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Obviously, research, "what ifs", modeling by track, distance, surface, class, etc., custom factor creation is a biggie. Lots that can be done with such a database model, but for it to be widely accepted to maximize collaboration, it must be easy for the average player to set up and operate. As we are seeing, those here who really "get it", and could offer programming and other technical help, are choosing to not participate in its development. So, most users will probably be more traditional players, with little or no programming or technical knowledge.
I am not concerned about getting technical help.. Testers, reviewers and early adapters (who do not really need to be programmers) is more helpful..
Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #240
TrifectaMike

Quote:
Here:

http://themindofagambler.com/mediawi...Player_Toolkit

you can see an initial list of factors that I put together very quickly, I am sure that I am missing a lot.. Feel free to propose any factors you might like...
I noticed that the majority of the horse and race factors are naturally setup for Chi-Square testing. If it is by design, very clever. If not, it is still a nice design.

Mike
TrifectaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply