Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
jdhanover

What software do you use/like and why?

New to the PA board (which I cannot believe I never found before). I've been playing the horses for 30 years (first in NY, now I am outside Chicago) and rate myself an "advanced novice" (this game sure can get you!). Fairly math/computer savvy but family and work do keep me from playing 'full time'

Anyway at this point I don't play enough to warrant spending big bucks on software (plus all the files for pps) but considering getting more serious about this 'hobby'. I see there are many software programs out there but wondering (especially if anyone has used several) what you like/don't like about each? T'bred and/or harness. The more detail the better. I do understand all the concepts of value, line making, many handicapping angles etc so the more you can share about would make it easier for me to understand the pros/cons of each

Also upfront cost and the cost of the files (for PPs) required. And I know some of the sellers of the software are on here...I don't mind you chiming in, but please identify yourself as such.

Thanks and really enjoying the PA board!

Last edited by jdhanover; 05-01-2011 at 12:35 AM.
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
New to the PA board (which I cannot believe I never found before). I've been playing the horses for 30 years (first in NY, now I am outside Chicago) and rate myself an "advanced novice" (this game sure can get you!). Fairly math/computer savvy but family and work do keep me from playing 'full time'

Anyway at this point I don't play enough to warrant spending big bucks on software (plus all the files for pps) but considering getting more serious about this 'hobby'. I see there are many software programs out there but wondering (especially if anyone has used several) what you like/don't like about each? T'bred and/or harness. The more detail the better. I do understand all the concepts of value, line making, many handicapping angles etc so the more you can share about would make it easier for me to understand the pros/cons of each

Also upfront cost and the cost of the files (for PPs) required. And I know some of the sellers of the software are on here...I don't mind you chiming in, but please identify yourself as such.

Thanks and really enjoying the PA board!
First off, WELCOME to PA. As far as the handicapping software, you will find there are hundreds available, and everyone has an opinion about the one they use or have used. If you are going to get into the software part of handicapping, you MUST find software that allows you to make adjustments and tweaks to fit your style of handicapping. There are some fine products out there, some are even advertised here. Read everything you can about any you think you may be interested in. Get the FREE demo and try them out, if possible. If you find any you are interested in, ask questions. Someone here probably has the program, or has used it in the past. You cam PM me with questions, if you like. Good luck.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
trackcat
trackcat

software

Welcome, you will enjoy the forun. About software, I like the Pace Calculator and the Speed Handicapper from Desert Sea. I use them together. I also am learning a new way to use the pace calculator. The software from desert sea would be the least expensive but don't let that mislead you. It played the main part whe I hit a vey nice pick/place all at HOL last year. Just suggestions for you and if interested I posted an angle play that you can look up that i past along to our fellow players when i joined. Good luck and welcome aboard.

trackcat
trackcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

If you have Excel check out my free AllData NI Batch workbook. There is also a free database workbook that works with AllData NI Batch.

AllDataExcel.weebly.com

Both use either of Brisnet's single file data files, and the Exotic Results data file.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 05-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Charli125

I've yet to find anything for Harness, but I'm interested if anyone has any suggestions.

Jcapper is what I use and it's something like $130/month for all HDW data files for all tracks, and you get the Silver version of the software for free if you sign up for the HDW data. Platinum version is $695.
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
njcurveball

HTR is pretty darn good. You may want to ask questions on the individual forums once you come down to your final choices.

HDW data is the best so perhaps start with their data and see what software looks the most compatible to your handicapping and betting style.

For example, if you depend heavily on the trainer, you would not want a piece of software that just has pace and speed figures.

best of luck in your search,
Jim
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
jdhanover

Thanks guys.

"Pandy" has harness software..haven't heard what people think of it.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
"Pandy" has harness software..haven't heard what people think of it.
When I was betting harness I used it in conjunction with the Simubet sheets and had some success (including my biggest hit, a $5400 Pick 4 at the Big M). I stopped playing the horses regularly and when I do play I am back to the t-breds. (I'm not sure why as I tend to win more at harness, so go figure.)

The numbers that Pandy's software produces are very good so count me among those who would recommend it to others. He usually updates the program two or three times per year at a reasonable cost ($20-$30, if I remember correctly) and he provides good customer service. It's not a black box, though, if that's what your looking for.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
precisionk

I can second Pandy's software (at least for Harness). Good numbers and very helpful in narrowing down selections.
precisionk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
jdhanover

I will check out Pandy's software. Thanks.

Took the plunge with HSH after some conversations with Dave Schwartz - software fits what I am looking for. I know there is a learning curve (which I have embarked upon), but I am already up to speed on New Pace and how to work it with HSH (pretty simple once you get the hang of it).

And, talk about beginners luck, very first race using the HSH/New Pace combo was R4 at HOL today - hit $25.40 winner and $1 EBX for $79. Thrilling finish too.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #11
redeye007
Bet small...win BIG!

I have tried several commercial programs in the past 18 months and have gone back to my older DOS program called Professor Jones. In my opinion it is still the very best program I have ever used. here are a couple of screenshots from hol 5/8/11. it's a pity that the company went out of business several years ago because there is a bug in the program whereby it won't work with processors exceeding 200 Mhz, delivers a division by zero error. I wish I knew how to contact an experienced borland turbo pascal programmer to fix the bug so I can run the program on my 3 Ghz machine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg prof6.jpg (70.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg prof7.jpg (84.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg prof9.jpg (48.0 KB, 62 views)
redeye007 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Redeye,

Do you have all the source code?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye007
I have tried several commercial programs in the past 18 months and have gone back to my older DOS program called Professor Jones. In my opinion it is still the very best program I have ever used. here are a couple of screenshots from hol 5/8/11. it's a pity that the company went out of business several years ago because there is a bug in the program whereby it won't work with processors exceeding 200 Mhz, delivers a division by zero error. I wish I knew how to contact an experienced borland turbo pascal programmer to fix the bug so I can run the program on my 3 Ghz machine.
I just discovered something called DOSbox (it's free, Google it), a DOS emulator specifically designed to run old DOS games. One of the things it does is clock down your CPU, and otherwise emulate what the old processors were like. You can set it up in 5 minutes...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye007
it's a pity that the company went out of business several years ago because there is a bug in the program whereby it won't work with processors exceeding 200 Mhz, delivers a division by zero error.
You could try one of these CPU slowdown utilities and see if one of them works. I used Turbo a long time ago to play an old game and it worked fine. It might be worth a shot.

CPU Slowdown Programs
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
redeye007
Bet small...win BIG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Redeye,

Do you have all the source code?

All I have is the program. It is also copy protected and uses a dongle. this article sort of explains the problem trying to use the software on a fast computer. also all the data is manual entry which is sort of a drag but it does pick a few winners so the extra time seems worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runtime_error_200
redeye007 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply