Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 AM   #61
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Andy, unless DMR and SA have rolled back, they've been 16.43% for years.
We're at 15.43 percent according to the Racing Form.

http://www.publichandicapper.com/takeout.cfm

It should also be listed on the CHRB-17 forms filed by the tracks, but I can't seem to find them on the CHRB website now.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #62
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I think lily white Frank Stronach and others in control are using the neighborhood as an excuse to shut down the track instead of spending some money on it.
To the contrary, Frank has spoken at length about using Pimlico to help the neighborhood.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...606-story.html

Quote:
Specifically, Stronach would like to see part of the Pimlico site redeveloped into an urban farm that would create jobs for residents of the surrounding neighborhood and dispense fresh produce to the rest of the city. He said such a plan could coexist with a state-of-the-art racing facility, though he acknowledged “it would take a huge amount of money.”

At Pimlico, he envisions pairing with a Maryland university to create an organic food program that would employ neighborhood residents and improve nutrition by distributing locally grown food. He said the project could include farmland, affordable housing and recreation, daycare and school facilities. The Pimlico community could be granted a 20 percent ownership stake in the reimagined facility, he added.

“I spoke with the mayor, a nice lady, last year, and she feels very strongly about the Preakness,” he said. “And I said, ‘Look, I feel strongly about both. I feel strongly about the poverty and I feel strongly about meaningful jobs.’ I think it’s such an important issue. It’s not only the racing, it’s the poverty.”
One can argue whether this is the best use of the land, but Frank's definitely not using the neighborhood as an excuse to shut down the track.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #63
Andy Asaro

Quote:
WPS has been 15.43 not 16.43
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #64
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
WPS has been 15.43 not 16.43
Then they rolled it back because it went to 16.43 like a decade ago.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #65
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'd like to hear an African-American point of view on the neighborhood around Pimlico.

Unless you've lived or worked, as I have, in poorer neighborhoods most whites are afraid to be in predominant ly black neighborhoods.

I went to that track only once, was in Baltimore to see Camden Yards when it was first built. I thought the track was pretty much what I'd call a dump.
But, it looked like a lack of upkeep more than anything else was the reason.

I had no problem with the neighbourhood, either before or after the races.
And I'm a Caucasian - and was by myself. I've seen far worst in my travels in and out of just about every neighborhood in NYC.

I think lily white Frank Stronach and others in control are using the neighborhood as an excuse to shut down the track instead of spending some money on it.

That's my opinion on it.

You're right about older white people, but not younger whites, who in New York City are perfectly willing to live in Harlem, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and the South Bronx.

As for Pimlico, its track design is a total joke - no distances on the dirt between 6 furlongs and 1 1/16 miles, and they can just barely get 6 furlongs in, with a 5-foot run-up, resulting in a track record of 1:09 for the distance, which gives Pimlico a Mickey Mouse aura.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #66
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Then they rolled it back because it went to 16.43 like a decade ago.
No.

In 2010 they raised exotic takeout significantly. And the plan was to go to 17% if the exotic takeout hike didn't hurt business. Then the boycott was so bad they never raised WPS.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #67
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
You're right about older white people, but not younger whites, who in New York City are perfectly willing to live in Harlem, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and the South Bronx.

As for Pimlico, its track design is a total joke - no distances on the dirt between 6 furlongs and 1 1/16 miles, and they can just barely get 6 furlongs in, with a 5-foot run-up, resulting in a track record of 1:09 for the distance, which gives Pimlico a Mickey Mouse aura.
You are completely right. If y'all know about baseball, Pimlico is like Ebbetts Field- completely hemmed in to cramped dimensions by the shape of the property and the neighborhood location.

Compare it to Laurel which is surrounded by a forest.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #68
Denny
Veteran

AE,

if Franz truly has such goals for the pimlico neighborhood, then I'll have to change my opinion of him.

I thought they just wanted to shut it down, sell the land, and move the preakness to laurel.

Let's see what happens.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #69
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I can't even imagine how much the land under GGF is valued...right on the bay---views of both bridges.

Wow! It's worth far more than a race-track land. Next time your stuck in traffic right there, on the approach to the bridge...look over and take a guess what that land is worth.

I am running a building project right next to GGF in Richmond. I was speaking with ownership about GGF. They stated that that area has been in the sights of many developers for many years. They felt it is only a matter of time.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #70
Denny
Veteran

Thomas R.,

Just for perspective, I'm in my 60's now.

You're right about the gentrification of NYC neighborhoods. My daughters friend live in one of those neighborhoods in brooklyn. Can't remember if it's Bed Sty or Brownsville. I used to work there and in Fort Greene, Flatbush, East NY and all over Brooklyn for a few years.
(all over the Bronx too, South Bronx included).
I live upstate in NY for years now and have no desire to go back to the city, not because of the diversity, but, because it's just too damn crowded.

The white youths seem to have no trouble filling Pimlico every Preakness day despite it's location either. Maybe it's whites that aren't exposed to people of color very often that have a problem.

That said, agree that the track needs a major overhaul. It is imo, like I said before in other words, a second-rate racetrack and you makean excellent point about the distances they can run.

Last edited by Denny; 06-19-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #71
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I can't even imagine how much the land under GGF is valued...right on the bay---views of both bridges.

Wow! It's worth far more than a race-track land. Next time your stuck in traffic right there, on the approach to the bridge...look over and take a guess what that land is worth.
Agreed. I went there for the first time about a year ago and have been there several times since. Not only is the view great, but weather wise, it might be the best spot in the Bay area. Seems like it is always 68-72 degrees at GGF.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #72
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
I asked someone at the CHRB.

A CHRB staffer who knows where to look in the CA Business and Professions Codes confirmed WPS takeout in CA for thoroughbreds at Del Mar, Santa Anita, and Golden Gate is: 15.43%

After looking at the relevant sections in the statutes - their best estimate is that it's been that way since 1993.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 06-19-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #73
Dave Schwartz

Thanks, Jeff.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #74
Andy Asaro

CHRB Meeting 9:30 AM Pacific time. Will Politics supersede Sanity?

Can’t wait for this one. All eyes/ears on Baedecker.

Click the link to listen live.

http://www.selectstreaming.com/live/chrb/audio.php
Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #75
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post

The short 6f runup may be the best thing about Pimlico.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: