Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
soupman2

Saratoga- Picnic Tables or Grandstand?

Heading to Lake George on the 23rd. Can't check into the hotel until 3, so on the way I want to stop at Saratoga with my wife and 3 teens. None are race fans and they are doing it to keep the old man happy. So, am I better off with the picnic tables so they can wander around, the grandstand or some other place? Also are all the picnic tables reserved now? And, finally, I love a good cigar and a cold beer can I have a cigar without being arrested?

Thanks for your help.
soupman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
burnsy
self medicated

Hands down, picnic table or lawn chair. If you like cigars and beer, its the only way to go. I have a seasons pass every year and I get seats like two or three times a year. You can't smoke in there and in between races its boring compared to the back yard. Plus, if you like seeing the paddock (horses) and walking ring, its way better to be in the back. The entire atmosphere is better IMO. Its a big picnic/party out back. I do all my work ahead of time and then look at the horses.....if you like to kick back, drink and smoke you won't be disappointed. The landscape is not shabby either if you get my drift.

Get your spot and wander.....good call. They will throw you out if you smoke inside. I love me a nice cigar too........

Last edited by burnsy; 07-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
soupman2

Thanks Burnsy- Based on your recommendation I tried to reserve a table on the NYRA site and for some reason it won't let me. Any idea if there is a secret?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupman2 View Post
Heading to Lake George on the 23rd. Can't check into the hotel until 3, so on the way I want to stop at Saratoga with my wife and 3 teens. None are race fans and they are doing it to keep the old man happy. So, am I better off with the picnic tables so they can wander around, the grandstand or some other place? Also are all the picnic tables reserved now? And, finally, I love a good cigar and a cold beer can I have a cigar without being arrested?

Thanks for your help.
The 23rd of July or August? 23rd of July is a Sunday and 23rd of August is a Wednesday. Big difference. Huge difference. July 23rd is baseball cap giveaway. It will be packed if the weather is good. You will not get a picnic table unless you are there in the morning for works or are very first in line when the gates open.

If I were you, there is no way I would attempt to roll into town past say 11am. Get there early. Grab breakfast at the Horseshoe or in town. Bring chairs that you can carry in, and a nice sized cooler that can serve as a table. Sometimes on the giveaway days the traffic can be really hairy and the lines to get in can be massive. Definitely use Northway exit 13. Go up Route 9 North and turn down Crescent St (not Ave, which comes first) and park in someone's yard. You need to be prepared for this unless you don't mind waiting in long lines or sitting in traffic (I'm never prepared to do either, but some people don't mind).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
soupman2

Yes- we were going the 23rd of July. I thought I could reserve a picnic table. From the sounds of it going Monday might be better. Won't have room in the car for the chairs though that sounded like a great idea.

Last edited by soupman2; 07-01-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupman2 View Post

Thanks for your help.
July 23 is a Hat Giveaway. Perhaps the most popular of all. It will be crowded. Getting a picnic table will be a challenge.
Even if you arrive early when the gates open, you'll find it a challenge.
Gates open at 10.30 AM....Arrive by 9.30....
There used to be an unwritten policy that picnic tables could be "claimed" by simply placing a cooler or table cloth upon them. In the past, people would pay the admission for "Breakfast at Saratoga" place a table cloth on a table the leave the grounds to return later. We used to do this. I do not believe it is permitted any longer.
Kind of the "un" luck of the draw...You picked a bad day to grab a table......I suggest you do the family thing the next day Monday...7/24.....I'm a vet,...This year marks my 40th since I first stepped on the grounds.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 12:59 AM   #7
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
The 23rd of July or August? 23rd of July is a Sunday and 23rd of August is a Wednesday. Big difference. Huge difference. July 23rd is baseball cap giveaway. It will be packed if the weather is good. You will not get a picnic table unless you are there in the morning for works or are very first in line when the gates open.

If I were you, there is no way I would attempt to roll into town past say 11am. Get there early. Grab breakfast at the Horseshoe or in town. Bring chairs that you can carry in, and a nice sized cooler that can serve as a table. Sometimes on the giveaway days the traffic can be really hairy and the lines to get in can be massive. Definitely use Northway exit 13. Go up Route 9 North and turn down Crescent St (not Ave, which comes first) and park in someone's yard. You need to be prepared for this unless you don't mind waiting in long lines or sitting in traffic (I'm never prepared to do either, but some people don't mind).
13 sucks. Too much traffic on Rte 9.....He should go up to 15. Head to East Ave.. Go up the hill to a right on Madison.....then left on Nelson....Right on Lincoln...There one can find any one of many private homes where they allow parking for a fee.
I just pay the 8 bucks for Clubhouse.. It['s convenient. Lines are shorter.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Hands down, picnic table or lawn chair. If you like cigars and beer, its the only way to go. I have a seasons pass every year and I get seats like two or three times a year. You can't smoke in there and in between races its boring compared to the back yard. Plus, if you like seeing the paddock (horses) and walking ring, its way better to be in the back. The entire atmosphere is better IMO. Its a big picnic/party out back. I do all my work ahead of time and then look at the horses.....if you like to kick back, drink and smoke you won't be disappointed. The landscape is not shabby either if you get my drift.

Get your spot and wander.....good call. They will throw you out if you smoke inside. I love me a nice cigar too........
"talent level" Very high out in the back yard. Yes indeed
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nothing like sitting under the trees drinking a beer and playing the ponies. Inside, not such a great day, but DO go in at least once for a bowl of the red chowder - you will be glad you did.

And of course, the waters from the fountain....

Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
13 sucks. Too much traffic on Rte 9.....He should go up to 15. Head to East Ave.. Go up the hill to a right on Madison.....then left on Nelson....Right on Lincoln...There one can find any one of many private homes where they allow parking for a fee.
I just pay the 8 bucks for Clubhouse.. It['s convenient. Lines are shorter.
I've been going for years and never had to try that route- probably because I am so traffic averse I've never seen the traffic be that bad on 9 or even on Crescent St.

Paying for the Clubhouse on the giveaway days is definitely worth it provided you can get your provisions inside. I don't think they let you through the Clubhouse gate w coolers, etc.

Soupman- you can reserve a picnic table. You can do that for $90 on a Sunday.

https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/tickets/picnic-tables
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
MonmouthParkJoe

Not sure how early you plan on going there. Gates open at 7am and you can hold a table with a table clothe or chair. Been going for years now and never once had an issue. Enjoy it!
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
He should go up to 15. Head to East Ave..
I used to do this the other way. Go right (east) to Loudon, then right on Weibel. (If my wife was with me I'd drop her off at the Kohl's). Down Weibel to Lake then right turn, under the thruway then left on Henning and down to 5th. Right on 5th and find a spot as close to East ave as I could get (usually not real close since I was never too early ). I liked the walk from there down East Ave. into the track. It maybe is slower but less stressful.
Leaving then became much simpler since I went back the other way on 5th to Henning then right and then left at the lights on Union and then to the thruway.
On a Wednesday and by myself I would come in on Union and up Henning to 5th but on a weekend, especially a giveaway day, up to 50 (exit 15) and then backtrack.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And of course, the waters from the fountain....
You need a few beers after that to cleanse the palate.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

When I used to go to Saratoga a number of years ago for the PaceAdvantage get-togethers there used to be free parking on the opposite side of the track. It was in a field and also back under trees in a wooded area. I think the walk to the track was something like 1/2 mile.

Am I correct to say that is a paid parking area now, and if so how much is it?
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
camourous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
When I used to go to Saratoga a number of years ago for the PaceAdvantage get-togethers there used to be free parking on the opposite side of the track. It was in a field and also back under trees in a wooded area. I think the walk to the track was something like 1/2 mile.

Am I correct to say that is a paid parking area now, and if so how much is it?
There is still a Free Parking Lot,last year there still was anyway it is just a lot further from the track than it used to be. They do have a bus that circles around that you can take to the front gate.
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply