Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
The only advantage that he would have is knowing who was in the race before the entries close. Most good agents can tell you who will be in a race before the overnight is out anyway. Any incompass info he obtained was of marginal help if any at all.
Remember we are talking New York here.

I trimmed back some of my completely unscientific percentages in my post for the simple reason that so many horses are coming from places other than the local backside supply that I do think InCompass on a circuit like NYRA - especially in the summer - would be a significant advantage.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #17
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Remember we are talking New York here.

I trimmed back some of my completely unscientific percentages in my post for the simple reason that so many horses are coming from places other than the local backside supply that I do think InCompass on a circuit like NYRA - especially in the summer - would be a significant advantage.
I agree, tapping into Incompass would be of more help somewhere like NY than it would be where there is only a small local population of horses.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 AM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
I'm not sure why some of that information needs to be kept under wraps.

Track Conditions. I'll admit, I don't know what the secret part of this should be. The first thing that strikes me is that if it is something like moisture or track depth in various parts of the track, why shouldn't that be public? I guess I'm not seeing what the sensitive insider information could be.

Health and Injuries of race horses. Same thing as above. Why should the public not know which horses are injured, or for that matter which drugs the horse is taking?

Which horses don't have jockeys named. Another one I don't get. Why shouldn't agents know that? The only down side I can see is that they might bother trainers excessively.

Did they say what happened to the guy who sold him access?
He was looking at jock calls and which horses had been entered. And those are big no nos.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 12:47 AM   #19
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
I agree, tapping into Incompass would be of more help somewhere like NY than it would be where there is only a small local population of horses.
Actually, from the standpoint of potential mounts, illicit access to the system would be of more use at smaller tracks, where agents less often give out ironclad calls to trainers , which leaves things more up-in-the-air and more horses up for grabs.

A sharp agent hustling a decent product could thus obtain a big edge.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
I don't know what this guy did, but this is exactly the potential case with this sort of scenario (unless InCompass has changed a lot in a short time). If there's a spot you have a question mark next to because of who might be in there and can know exactly who is in the race... yeah... its quite a bit of an advantage... And as an agent, one of the first questions you get asked when you go see a barn about a spot for a horse - "who's gonna be in there?"... You earn that 25% by keeping track of things yourself so you can prove your worth by answering those questions helpfully, not by dialing up the real-time information that only the office has access to. These sort of punishments for this kind of stuff should be the norm.
It's our biggest fear. That somebody other than an official has access. We have even set traps now and then for suspiciously prescient agents.But there IS a little-known feature displaying how many people are logged in.

At Mnr, we don't even allow our crew to pull up a rundown screen. Any caller requesting even that basic info-much less anything inappropriate or proprietary- must go through me or Joe.

And out-hustled agents LOVE to accuse other agents of cracking the system.

I would bet my stuffed gorilla (weird superstition: I won't sleep unless he has clear line of sight to me) that a rival agent brought the feds into this.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-24-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #21
mountainman

I can think of other benefits to invading the system. But those are unlikely to have been motivation.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:42 AM   #22
lamboguy

does anyone know who this agent represented?
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
camourous

Agent hacks a computer and gets 10 years

Jockeys refuse to ride out to the wire and get a $4 fine.
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous
Agent hacks a computer and gets 10 years

Jockeys refuse to ride out to the wire and get a $4 fine.
That is SO NOT true.....

They get a zero $ fine
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #25
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman

At Mnr, we don't even allow our crew to pull up a rundown screen...
You mean you don't enjoy giving a 9:00 rundown and saying that sub 2 has four, needs help, and then fifteen minutes later after 20 more people have entered someone asks a clerk for a rundown on sub 2 and when she says 7 you get read the riot act about lying on the rundown trying to kill the race...

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #26
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
I'm not sure why some of that information needs to be kept under wraps.

Track Conditions. I'll admit, I don't know what the secret part of this should be. The first thing that strikes me is that if it is something like moisture or track depth in various parts of the track, why shouldn't that be public? I guess I'm not seeing what the sensitive insider information could be.

Health and Injuries of race horses. Same thing as above. Why should the public not know which horses are injured, or for that matter which drugs the horse is taking?

Which horses don't have jockeys named. Another one I don't get. Why shouldn't agents know that? The only down side I can see is that they might bother trainers excessively.

Did they say what happened to the guy who sold him access?
I agree. i'd love to have that information.
Playing devil's advocate for a moment.
Suppose the information is complex to the point where the general race going/betting public would not understand it or know how to apply it. And in that same vein, only sharp and higher volume players could use the information in an effective manner.
Should the public find out this, it could cause complaints and cries of "insider information"....Or more simply put, in the hands of an astute bettor, such information could render them a huge advantage over the regular players.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #27
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
That is SO NOT true.....

They get a zero $ fine

YOU sir, are not a well man....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 01:17 AM   #28
mountainman

Quote:
You mean you don't enjoy giving a 9:00 rundown and saying that sub 2 has four, needs help, and then fifteen minutes later after 20 more people have entered someone asks a clerk for a rundown on sub 2 and when she says 7 you get read the riot act about lying on the rundown trying to kill the race...
Fish swim, thunder rumbles, fat guys waddle, and horsemen bitch. Constantly, incessantly, and endlessly. A thing does what its basic nature dictates. That's the central truth of the backside. It's like the dull buzz of a huge swarm of bees, or the relentless din of a dog kennel next door. You block it out or it consumes you. And you keep right on doing what is best for the racing program.

In fact, if you AREN'T pissing SOMEBODY off in my line of work (both jobs), I can GUARANTEE you aren't getting it done.

Tx for letting me rant, jhb, you will get this completely. To others, it might sound cynical.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-25-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #29
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
does anyone know who this agent represented?
He was representing Manny Franco when the charges were brought in Jan 2016.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #30
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
He was representing Manny Franco when the charges were brought in Jan 2016.
The investigation actually started in April of 2015
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply