Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
winningponies

Exclamation Ubercapper AKA Ellis Starr to Handicap this Weekend's Races on Winning Ponies Radio

The Winning Ponies radio show has quite a treat for all the handicappers out there.

Our special guests this week are Julie Balog and Ellis Starr. Julie will be updating us on the happenings in Kentucky. She is the Director of Communications at Keeneland Association and has great insight on the Kentucky race scene.

Our next guest is known as the "Ubercapper." Ellis Starr has studied horse racing for over 35 years. His influence in the racing world is immense. He is the National Racing Analyst for Equibase, the Thoroughbred Industry's Official Source for Racing Info, and much more.

Don't miss this show folks. Tune in at 8pm EST to http://www.voiceamerica.com/Show/1448
winningponies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
judd

with all due respect, ellis starr doesnt pick many winners !
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd
with all due respect, ellis starr doesnt pick many winners !
I've seen him win quite a bit of money in Derbywars contests, so I know he's at least picking a lot of winners on those days!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
I've seen him win quite a bit of money in Derbywars contests, so I know he's at least picking a lot of winners on those days!
He tends to do quite well in Keeneland contests too.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
maybe im wrong
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd
maybe im wrong

Yup
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
racingfan378

Maybe in Derby Wars he has some "luck", but for the price he charges for selections, his overall record is NOT THAT GOOD from the equibase website. I've had the chance to follow along with his selections (at no cost to me) and they arent worth the $14.50 investment. I have never played his tip sheet nor will I ever

Just take a look at his plays for Belmont Wednesday, he says to "pass two races" if they are moved to the main track. WTF!? I'm paying $14.50 for a product and I cant even get some help on those races?

Then in race 5 he had 2,8. The result was

Race 6 he had 7,6,9. was the clear winner.

Race 7 he had 6,9 and it ran

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eebD...ODUCT_ID=50283

So if anyone still wants to be on his bandwagon, then wait until the next day for the free product from equibase and start keeping track of his winning plays.

Derby wars is just like any horse race contest and once you start losing, you start chasing longshots. He barely won a five figure contest and the people behind him did the exact same thing in chasing big priced horses.
racingfan378 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
Maybe in Derby Wars he has some "luck", but for the price he charges for selections, his overall record is NOT THAT GOOD from the equibase website. I've had the chance to follow along with his selections (at no cost to me) and they arent worth the $14.50 investment. I have never played his tip sheet nor will I ever

Just take a look at his plays for Belmont Wednesday, he says to "pass two races" if they are moved to the main track. WTF!? I'm paying $14.50 for a product and I cant even get some help on those races?

Then in race 5 he had 2,8. The result was

Race 6 he had 7,6,9. was the clear winner.

Race 7 he had 6,9 and it ran

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eebD...ODUCT_ID=50283

So if anyone still wants to be on his bandwagon, then wait until the next day for the free product from equibase and start keeping track of his winning plays.

Derby wars is just like any horse race contest and once you start losing, you start chasing longshots. He barely won a five figure contest and the people behind him did the exact same thing in chasing big priced horses.
I hope you realize the argument you just presented was not very compelling.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
racingfan378

Its not an argument, it is the facts.

He isnt good and the proof is in what he sells for a so-called tip sheet

If you paid $14.50 for a tip sheet and two races aren't covered, then I call that lazy. When you are in the public eye, you handicap a race, period! He can say that he would pass a race but with all of his "knowledge" you would think he would toss a horse or two into the mix and say "good luck, tread lightly, I dont like the race"

I have nothing else to say about Ellis and his premier selections. If anyone believes that his picks are good, then so be it

Last edited by racingfan378; 10-05-2012 at 02:00 AM.
racingfan378 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Its not an argument, it is the facts.
You provided three races where he got it wrong. Hardly compelling stuff...

And this assumes we all believe you have your facts correct, as we are relying on you to keep track...and don't take offense, but nobody knows who you are! Nobody knows who any of us are (for the most part)...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
ubercapper

Public Handicapping

Every public handicapper has a target on his/her back and I'm fine with that, have been for nearly 20 years. I feel there is value in what I produce because I also tell readers why I picked a horse, not just that I picked a horse. I have no problem putting people in my head with my methodology, in order to help them become better handicappers, and more importantly, bettors. That's why all my selections have fair odds next to them, to help separate good bets from bad ones.

Value is in the eye of the beholder and if someone feels there's no value in purchasing the selections, that's certainly their right.

By the way, here are the picks I gave out on Winning Ponies:

Frizette: My Happy Face, Dreaming of Julia

Champagne: Goldencents, Micromanage, Shanghai Bobby (adding that I made them all 2/1 and will bet the one going to post at the highest odds)

TCA: Groupie Doll, Honey Chile, Giant Sensation
Breeders' Futurity: Tizracer, Java's War, Dynamic Sky, Balance the Books, Joha

Shadwell Mile: Wise Dan, Data Link, Swift Warrior, Doubles Partner
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
JimG

Ellis is an excellent public handicapper. He is especially good on the SoCal circuit. Played against him in many contests and he is a force in those. If I were supplementing my opinion with a public handicapper, Ellis would be my pick for Southern California along with Andy Serling for NYRA and Brad Thomas at Monmouth. They each seem to know those particular circuits and share good information on a regular basis. Anybody can pick 3/5 shots. These guys provide more.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You provided three races where he got it wrong. Hardly compelling stuff...

And this assumes we all believe you have your facts correct, as we are relying on you to keep track...and don't take offense, but nobody knows who you are! Nobody knows who any of us are (for the most part)...

Come on, three races on a muddy track is more than enough to evaluate any handicapper. In fact, any horseplayer that has even one losing day a year at the racetrack clearly doesn't know his ( or her ) stuff.

Fortunately for me, I sweep the card on a daily basis. Anything less than 100% accuracy is unacceptable. After all, we're only trying to predict the future, it's not like we're doing something difficult like anonymously criticizing people on the internet.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Charli125

Quote:
I have never played his tip sheet nor will I ever
Me neither, doesn't mean he's not a good handicapper with some good opinions and good things to say.

It's the rare public handicapper that can show a positive ROI when they're handicapping races that they would pass in their personal play.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Itamaraca
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
it's not like we're doing something difficult like anonymously criticizing people on the internet.
Is this in the forum terms of agreement? It seems that quite a few people here who have chosen to make their identity known take offense to those who chose not to. Or, at least, they seem to want to censor the comments of the anonymous (when they're not doing it outright, that is).

Nothing like the bullies getting together and complaining that those they're bullying aren't playing fair.
Itamaraca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply