Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #31
ElKabong

Thask
One more thing. Your son or anyone needs over the board coaching. Stay far away from online classes. Most online aren't good coaches, and it's always good to have eye to eye conversations with a coach of any kind.

Look for honesty. I tell beginner's parents on day one "we're not here to mold your kid into a chess master. We're here to make her think". Trust goes a long way. That's a lot easier in person. Good luck
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #32
ElKabong

https://lichess.org/training

Hours of addictive fun..
Puzzles will elevate anyone's game faster than anything imo

Lichess is good, so is a program called Think Like a King
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 05-04-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Disregard chess.com ratings. When someone tells me their rating is over 2000 I know it's chess.com. The only rating the chess world will recognize in the USCF rating. 2000 is an absolute ass kicker for uscf ratings, my guess is that translates to perhaps uscf 500 to 600.

Just keep it fun. It can be addictive just like handicapping. Life shouldn't be wasted like that. I tell our kids chess is like a musical instrument. You enjoy it your entire life. You can play a solid fundamentally sound style or let your creativity come out. Just keep it fun (and be respectful)

I just read Bobby Fischer books. I play chess against the bots when I need a sit down break. I have a bad back and knees so often I have ice bags on a knee or 2 and one behind my back. I go work in my shop for a while and come back and repeat the icing. I think Chess.com ratings are exaggerated as you said. I went to Chess.com when I moved my WIN 7 computer that had a chess game in it out to the shop, that one just had levels 1-10. I should go out and play it again and see how much better I am.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2023, 01:54 PM   #34
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I just read Bobby Fischer books. I play chess against the bots when I need a sit down break. I have a bad back and knees so often I have ice bags on a knee or 2 and one behind my back. I go work in my shop for a while and come back and repeat the icing. I think Chess.com ratings are exaggerated as you said. I went to Chess.com when I moved my WIN 7 computer that had a chess game in it out to the shop, that one just had levels 1-10. I should go out and play it again and see how much better I am.
It's a good escape sometimes for sure.

Chess.com is OK, but in all honesty if you want to know your true rating just enter into a sanctioned uscf tournament. Being your first tournament you'll be matched up with other beginners. No stress

I have to be honest here, the competition in east texas is nowhere near what's going on in dfw. Kids I coach here that did well at the monthly tyler tournaments wouldn't have done so well in dfw.

Glad you enjoy chess, it's a lifetime pleasure. Lessons in life, chess. Doesn't matter in the end if you win or lose. It's the experiences you gain along the way that counts

Last edited by ElKabong; 05-05-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #35
Inner Dirt

I have to go in the WIN 7 shop computer and see how many levels I have improved. Chess.com does have 5 different AI bots that change the first of every month. A couple months ago they had a cat named Mittens it, had a
rating that was a joke. I never got close to beating it, I saw a video of a guy playing it that claimed to be a grandmaster and it kicked his butt multiple times. It seemed to be unedited video and it appears he filmed from the first game he played. It was funny the comments he was making belittling the cat's moves, then BOOM a couple moves letter the cat checkmated him.

It was a funny video, the guy got madder and madder, cussing up a storm.
I figure chess is a good way to keep the 62 year old mind sharp.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2023, 06:46 PM   #36
ElKabong

Today's tournament in angelina county. Drew 28, more than we expected given the population and no known recent tournaments to anyone's memory

The school that allowed us to use their cafeteria was BY FAR the most accommodating venue we've ever had. The superintendent said anything we can do to make it a successful event, just ask. People out here are extraordinarily friendly. Cross county team moms ran the concessions, was able to raise cash for their cause.

If any of you want to brighten a kid's day, volunteer to do this. Takes commitment and training but every parent will thank you

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230506_123115.jpg (498.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ElKabong; 05-06-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:31 PM   #37
summersquall

Congratulations on your endeavor in bringing some intellectually challenging, self esteem building pastime to an area outside of the triangle. Appears as though all ages were involved.

~ Lily Tomlin
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #38
ElKabong

It was fun. We only had 2 divisions for the 28 kids, so we invited parents to play for free. Only 4 takers but itdrew a lot of lookers. I'd imagine the adults in the gallery, approx 40 people, will be asking their kids how to play