Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
eddie10

ipad

ipad does not suport adobe flash,does anyone know of a online service that uses a video player that would support apple player.
eddie10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
thorobasePA

Are you asking about any online video service?

A few media companies will be releasing HTML5 versions of their video streaming players. ABC, CBS, Hulu, Netflix are all rumoured to have built or are building such player.

Apple won't support Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash 10.1 is due to be released soon with support for certain non-Apple mobile devices.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
eddie10

ipad

thanks, I was thinking of an online betting servicce like youbet.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
SchagFactorToWin

I haven't been able to find an ADW that displays video on an iPad/iPhone. Bet, yes, but no video. If I find anything, I'll post. Please do the same.

I believe it's just a matter of time before someone has them available. With the iPad's form factor and touch screen, I'd be using it around the clock!
SchagFactorToWin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

there are going to be a lot of tablets coming out this year having different OS's on them, Windows, Chrome OS, and others -- the Apples will be the only one without Flash.

For horseracing-o-philes -- something with the full internet is probably going to be a better option.

Last edited by chickenhead; 04-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

no flash might be a deal breaker for me
Old 04-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

The HP tablets look promising and they have said that a big part of their strategy will be undercutting Apple prices.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
eddie10

ipad

I suppose I can watch tvg while using ipad.somtimes they run a race a little late.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
turfnsport

Here is a look at the HP Slate
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-...B7E88FD9DD347E
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Is it true that ipad can't multi-task?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Slate looks interesting but I suspect there still exists a problem regarding ebooks.

ebooks are of interest to me but I hesitate to jump in for a couple of reasons.

First, I absolutely do not want to be tied to a particular device/vendor. By that I mean I don't want to be locked into B&N's Nook -- I can't buy an ebook from Amazon to read on my Nook or vice versa.

Second, most (all?) ebooks are stored on a vendor's server. You do not actually take delivery of a copy on your device. B&N does half-way address one problem with this model, that is, being able to loan out a book. However, I'm of the old school, so, if I make a purchase of a new title, I want a copy of it -- hard or soft -- and not just the right to access it. There are ways to implement and enforce DRM but there does not seem to be much interest in persuing those solutions.

While iPad does address some of the concerns I have about ebooks, it still is too retrictive and I will not buy one -- despite it appearing to be a nice toy and definitely does have other desirable features. I wish I had the time to develop some handicapping S/W for this platform.

Last edited by DJofSD; 04-05-2010 at 04:19 PM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Slate looks interesting but I suspect there still exists a problem regarding ebooks.

ebooks are of interest to me but I hesitate to jump in for a couple of reasons.

First, I absolutely do not want to be tied to a particular device/vendor. By that I mean I don't want to be locked into B&N's Nook -- I can't buy an ebook from Amazon to read on my Nook or vice versa.

Second, most (all?) ebooks are stored on a vendor's server. You do not actually take delivery of a copy on your device. B&N does half-way address one problem with this model, that is, being able to loan out a book. However, I'm of the old school, so, if I make a purchase of a new title, I want a copy of it -- hard or soft -- and not just the right to access it. There are ways to implement and enforce DRM but there does not seem to be much interest in persuing those solutions.

While iPad does address some of the concerns I have about ebooks, it still is too retrictive and I will not buy one -- despite it appearing to be a nice toy and definitely does have other desirable features. I wish I had the time to develop some handicapping S/W for this platform.
I understand your concerns, but a few of your statements aren't exactly right.

First off, I can't speak for the Nook, but with the kindle, they do store your library for you in the cloud, but you actually do get a copy on your local device. Otherwise, you'd have to have an internet connection all the time to read it. That wouldn't make much sense. I don't think that's probably what you were speaking of; now if you're speaking of the DRM issues, that's a whole other ball game, and yes you are right, you only get one copy, and it's hard to pass on.

Secondly, I'm not an iPad supporter (for now, it's an oversized, overpriced iPod Touch), but as far as ebooks go, you would have choices. Besides for iTunes & whatever Apple offers up, kindle has announced (probably launched?) an app for iPad, just as they have apps for pcs, macs & iphones (I actually have all three as well as my kindle).
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Ipad indeed cannot multi task....one program at a time

You don't have to own a kindle to read their books....... I have the program on my PC.......just bought the wife a Kindle for Anniversary Gift......take delivery tomorrow.........
Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
thorobasePA

The iPhone OS doesn't support third-party multitasking; the processor itself is more than capable of handling multi-threading and there is some multi-tasking already taking place of course (you've experienced this if you've ever listened to an album while browsing for instance).

The problem is the Apple devices use flash memory which means there is no swap and limited memory available. If you ran a lot of apps, the OS has to manage Out Of Memory exceptions and shut down backround apps. This is complex and users don't like it when the app they were using suddenly is back at square one.

The Android platform does support MT by saving applications state periodically in pieces and then tying them together once a backround app regains focus.

FYI Apple have scheduled an event April 8th to talk about iPhone OS 4.0, at many expect multi-tasking to be announced. We shall see.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
eddie10

hp/slate

The way to go.http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=224201358