Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Hank

DEL MAR??????????????????

I made the decision a couple of months ago to play the current Del Mar meeting fairly seriously.I've played Dm only here and there before, never very effectively.This meeting would be different[so I thought] I'd take a couple of weeks to prepare learn the lay of the land ect ect.WELL to say I'm doing poorly would be like saying that Custer had a bad day at the little big horn I can't get a FEEL for this place AT all, its uncanny,there seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything.IS it just me or are others lost in the DM wilderness ??????????????????
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Ron

I feel the same way. A lot of times I think "WTF?" about the top three horses that cross the finish line. I do ok at East Coast tracks.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
Faster

Del Mar

Hank, the meet is still very young and your approach seems to be well planned and disciplined, so give it some time. If you are an East Coast player, it should take a few days to get acclimatized. I have. I actually like it and do better than Spa. (Today I found a play in three races and made out like a bandit in two.)
If you are from SoCal, I would go and visit the place physically. Either way I would get a local scoop on “the mood”, find some radio or internet discussions, join the forum on DM site and stuff like that. Watching the replays works. Keep us posted about your progress
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
The Judge

You Are Not Alone

I know some years back DM sent Andrew Beyer packing. he had planned his assault also. I like it I've had moderate success there nothing big.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
bigmack

I've been on a "snoop over the fence" jag of late looking at how different programs and numbers hold at various meets.

While not the only offering doing well @ DM - taking a peek at CJ's numbers offers guidance where some lack.

As a local it has been a tough nut to crack in comparison with other years.

11 euthed thusfar which has many of us wigged out. When these great animals break down there's a strange feeling around the grounds.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #6
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Thumbs up Take A Train, Take A Car, To Del Mar... Nice, Bing!

First off, thanks to Crosby and O'Brien... a slice of heaven!!!

I may be biased... but not the only beautiful track I've been to.

Before doin' some splainin', let me just say...

Take A Train... let me count the ways:
1. $60 R/T from Downtown LA... includes parking
2. 2 hr ride... no driving, just 30 min each way to get home
3. free shuttle to and from track... dropped off right at main gate
4. beautiful in so many ways

Take A Car... not any more... maybe 20 years ago!
1. $3.29 a Gallon!!! $30-$35 in gas.
2. 3+ hrs of driving -- each way -- last hr to Dmr is the PITS
3. Pay for parking... it can be a long walk from some of those outer lots
4. A rotten drive -- sober all the way home, too -- takes the edge off of the beauty

Okay, back to the thread...

Note right off the bat:
1. It's an egg-shaped track, and the tightest corner is at just about the 1/4 pole (give or take a bit)
2. The turf course is even tighter
3. It can't be more than 1/4 mile from the ocean, so it's always cool and moist (hardly ever rains... can't ever remember being there for one)
4. Only the hottest days seem to harden up the track much (then the times can be quick).

Del Mar has many parts
The first two (maybe three) weeks are for "horses for courses", foreign horses on the Dmr turf 1st/2nd out (at least for me), and some pretty raw baby races (the meet starts in mid-July). A great time to study whats going on and still make some spot plays to get warmed up.

By the first week in August, winning form becomes more evident. The new "horses for the course" in the claiming ranks can pay out okay early on in a run. Jockeys matter here, but sometimes a horse just overcomes a bad jockey (at a price). I'm not much for biases, so I won't profess any knowledge there.

The end of the meet can be pretty sweet. The weekend before Labor Day weekend is the Pacific Classic, and the week after is usually closing weekend. There are a lot of quallity races going on those weekends, so the races have value and are competitive. Some of the best in the west (and from other parts as well) tune up for the Breeders' Cup races.

Not sure what else I can tell you. Enjoy it... you can beat it, too. No magic pills... just good, solid handicapping and some confidence.

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
mainardi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
kenwoodallpromos

Longshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
I made the decision a couple of months ago to play the current Del Mar meeting fairly seriously.I've played Dm only here and there before, never very effectively.This meeting would be different[so I thought] I'd take a couple of weeks to prepare learn the lay of the land ect ect.WELL to say I'm doing poorly would be like saying that Custer had a bad day at the little big horn I can't get a FEEL for this place AT all, its uncanny,there seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything.IS it just me or are others lost in the DM wilderness ??????????????????
Looks to me like early speed holds on or pace falls apart for all frontrunners on dirt and turf routes. Maybe the stretch is trippin!

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 08-08-2006 at 03:32 AM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
delayjf

In my experience, Delmar can play very differently than either HOL or SA. I think a lot of handicappers fail to shift gears and recognize that at times speed does not do nearly as well as it does up north. The bias can change dramatically from day to day. I've seen days when every winner came from off the pace and then the next day speed gets everything.

Davidowitz observed that on hazy days the track bias seems to favor closers as it does not dry out as it does on sunny days. Also the track supervisor is very sensitive to any kind of bias, and if he preceives one, he will do something about it.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
so.cal.fan

They were talking about all the sand that is being added to the main track on TVG the other day.
There has been some very negative publicity in local papers about the number of breakdowns on the Del Mar track.
I have to think this is a factor?
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
skate
s.e. pa.

ying and yang, maybe?

funny, FG is (cept when the storms come in)my track.
east coast, never ever, could i count on any east coast track from fl. to NE.

but west coast, does not mater to me, but the so, cal. circuit comes thru, for me. every year, same thing, as long as they have decent fields, i'm happy.

so , i've got no real answer, Unless it is the "way we place wagers" and how they relate to the outcome.
i say this because, i know, i bet in a very "exotic manner".(liberal, maybe)
how bout you?

do you bet liberal or are you a conservative type better?
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
kenwoodallpromos

Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
They were talking about all the sand that is being added to the main track on TVG the other day.
There has been some very negative publicity in local papers about the number of breakdowns on the Del Mar track.
I have to think this is a factor?
The claim was that adding sand was this year's response to clinging dirt and possible causation factor of breakdowns, but maybe they add sand after the first week every year because it often does slow down after the first week anyway.
DM officials basically agreed with me that although the track may have contributed somewhat minorly, the fact is most breakdowns were cheaper horses and lesser jockeys and trainers, with almost all PP's showing indications of leg problems.
DM I told to slow the track down, Arl I told to speed it up (seal it). They did to some extent and the breakdown rate has slowed at both, Arl especially, 1 DNF during the last 2 weeks I believe.
"We have 30% more horses here (Del Mar), so we should have 30% more injuries," Arthur continued. "Maybe we have to add one more examining veterinarian. There is some concern about the track balling up, and (track superintendent) Steve Wood will see that sand is added to the surface over a period of time. It's a multi-factorial problem."

Last edited by kenwoodallpromos; 08-08-2006 at 12:36 PM.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Hank

Thanks

to all.A review of my plays reveals that I'm not as far off capping wise as the damage to my bankroll would indicate.I'm not one to spread or hedge much on most plays but my records reveal that just a little spreading would have put me on to a couple of scores that would have me feeling a LOT better about Delmar.I'm flying out thursday for my first visit to this beauty.Hopefully I'll get going ,if not I'll still have a good time enjoying the area.

Last edited by Hank; 08-09-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
I'll still have a good time enjoying the area.
Hank - Oysters Rockefeller @ the Brigantine around the corner from Del Mar.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
skate
s.e. pa.

ya hank;

that goes back to "having enough $" , while not being all that concerned about the exactness.
when you have a price, you can play for "the nice"
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply