Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #3436
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
The medical community says schizophrenia is a mental disorder. Madness is not a scientific term.

But you've kicked the can down the road. Do you believe in mental disorders?
But "madness", like "insanity", is an umbrella term that covers various "mental disorders".
Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #3437
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Of course the entire religious myth is an inner tale. And as I said "fraught with advances and setbacks" There are many cycles in many scriptures throughout the world that tell any one with 1/2 a brain the spiritual path one may follow does not go in a strait line. So what? Hard work is needed.

Faith alone may work somewhat in a cloistered life, but it is the "way of the monk" and not the most direct way for most of us out in the world that strive for understanding. I have known monks, Christian, Zen, and Sufi, and they all have compassion and empathy. You do not follow that way. And those monks not so much boasting as you about your greatness in everything.

A humongous ego is a major setback.
Well...there you go...In the the bible, there are really only three cycles for mankind.

By the way, "without faith, it's impossible to please God" (Heb 11:6). Of course, a major roadblock to attaining to faith is a "humongous ego."
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #3438
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Was it by CHOICE that you became "heterosexual"? Do you suppose that you could have just as easily "chosen" to lay down with MEN?
I chose what was natural.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #3439
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
But "madness", like "insanity", is an umbrella term that covers various "mental disorders".
"Insanity" is not an umbrella term. It is a legal term meaning ..
  • Unable to understand the consequences of one's actions, or
  • Unable to resist an impulse to act illegally.
In all fifty states a finding of insanity excuses a person from punishment for his actions.

The medical community says a "mental disorder" is a disease. Do you agree?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #3440
hcap

Quote:
But this is a very important issue to leftist loonies. I know it's very unlikely that you don't believe in genetic determinism when it comes to sexual behavior. To most loonies, poor homosexuals and lesbians don't have a choice.
Hows bout them loonies who think "evilness" got passed down generation to generation by the so-called (boxcarian) evil gene?

You told us that was the scientific explanation for how original sin got transmitted.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #3441
thaskalos

Quote:
I chose what was natural.
Could you have chosen the "unnatural"...if you wanted to?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #3442
hcap

Quote:
So....who does that automatically make me a Fundie. I keep telling and you don't listen: There is a WORLD of difference between Fundamentalists and Reformed Evangelicals. You have no idea.
Almost no difference.

Fundamentalism and its Similarities with Reformed Theology

1) The inspiration and verbal inerrancy of Scripture
2) The Deity of Christ and the virgin Birth
3) The substitutionary atonement
4) Justification by faith
5) The physical resurrection
6) The bodily return of Christ at the end of the age.
7) Christ performed miracles

Creationists are by far the craziest
Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #3443
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Hows bout them loonies who think "evilness" got passed down generation to generation by the so-called (boxcarian) evil gene?

You told us that was the scientific explanation for how original sin got transmitted.
If evilness is passed down by an "evil gene" then that's great news. We should be able to genetically engineer human beings without the evil gene and then everyone would be sinless!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #3444
hcap

Quote:
If evilness is passed down by an "evil gene" then that's great news. We should be able to genetically engineer human beings without the evil gene and then everyone would be sinless!
Does that mean the old satan will be out of business? Maybe god will throw a lot more angels out of heaven to provide fundies something to rail against?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #3445
boxcar

Quote:
"Insanity" is not an umbrella term. It is a legal term meaning ..
  • Unable to understand the consequences of one's actions, or
  • Unable to resist an impulse to act illegally.
In all fifty states a finding of insanity excuses a person from punishment for his actions.

The medical community says a "mental disorder" is a disease. Do you agree?
You see that -- you do know how to use a dictionary when it suits your purpose. Congratulations!

The second secular definition squares quite well with the biblical definition, since all sin is a violation of God's law (1Jn 3:4); and scripture also teaches that man cannot not sin (Eccl 7:20; Jer 13:23; Rom 3:10, etc., etc., etc.) In other words, mankind simply cannot resist the impulse to act illegally with respect to God's holy law ! And this explains how Solomon was logically able to connect evil with insanity.

Eccl 9:3
3 This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that there is one fate for all men. Furthermore, the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil, and insanity is in their hearts throughout their lives. Afterwards they go to the dead.
NASB

Thank you, Mr. Actor, for providing a great example of how special revelation (divine revelation) and natural revelation (reality as we all know it) are one organic whole -- completely in sync with each other. Kool stuff, heh?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #3446
boxcar

Quote:
Almost no difference.

Fundamentalism and its Similarities with Reformed Theology

1) The inspiration and verbal inerrancy of Scripture
2) The Deity of Christ and the virgin Birth
3) The substitutionary atonement
4) Justification by faith
5) The physical resurrection
6) The bodily return of Christ at the end of the age.
7) Christ performed miracles

Creationists are by far the craziest
Yeah, but you forgot one huge difference: The hermeneutical principles both use to interpret scripture are as different as day and night in other doctrinal areas not stated above.

You should have stuck "creationists" at the top of the list, then.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #3447
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Could you have chosen the "unnatural"...if you wanted to?
All our moral choices are driven by the desires of our heart. If the desire had been there and had been strong enough, I could have.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #3448
boxcar

Quote:

You are such a liar! Quote me. I have told everyone here repeatedly that this is my theory based on my interpretation of pertinent but that I could be wrong because spirit beings have natures, as well, and can either not sin ever or can only sin.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #3449
hcap

Quote:
Yeah, but you forgot one huge difference: The hermeneutical principles both use to interpret scripture are as different as day and night in other doctrinal areas not stated above.

You should have stuck "creationists" at the top of the list, then.
Does your version of hermeneutics include allegorical and metaphorical interpretation? If not it is not a complete way of interpreting myth. Therefore whether your a fundie or reformee or creationist, it matters not.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #3450
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Expert Biologist
You are such a liar! Quote me. I have told everyone here repeatedly that this is my theory based on my interpretation of pertinent but that I could be wrong because spirit beings have natures, as well, and can either not sin ever or can only sin.
You proposed an "evil" gene" didn't you? What the hell does
Quote:
"based on my interpretation of pertinent but"
mean"
Did you mean pertinent butt instead?

No such thing of an evil gene Mr Expert Biologist

'Nuff said.

Last edited by hcap; 08-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Closed Thread