Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Help -- Browser Hijack

Somehow I have encountered some type of browser hijacker. It re-directs to various other sites whether I use IE or Firefox. I have McAfee and this security program does not find anything in the scan. I have tried to download the free version of AVG but have been unsuccessful.

Any suggestions, or do I have to take it to a computer store to see what they can do?

NOTE: When re-directed, the resulting page does not let me search the general internet.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
HUSKER55

Only thought I have is to reload your software. Sometimes things go awry simply because they do.

You could open the task manager and hunt for files that don't fit.

I am not a guru. just a couple thoughts.

good luck

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
xfile
Veteran

I've had good results from
http://www.cyberdefender.com/
xfile is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfile
I've had good results from
http://www.cyberdefender.com/
Hello xfile,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, and after purchasing the program and running all the scan options, the selected websites still "re-direct" or "jump" to other webpages. In the address line, it shows the sites to places such as Forless.com and "asklots.com". The latter one showed web page as "Tazinga!".
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
Hello xfile,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, and after purchasing the program and running all the scan options, the selected websites still "re-direct" or "jump" to other webpages. In the address line, it shows the sites to places such as Forless.com and "asklots.com". The latter one showed web page as "Tazinga!".
Do a google search for those sites. There are quite a few hits with people complaining about your same issue. You may find your answer there.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.fixya.com/support/t281707...nga_highjacker

doing a restore seems to fix it for some
Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
johnhannibalsmith

Since I have been playing a perpetual game of cat and mouse with this AntiSpy Soft piece of shit for months, I've learned how to "manage" it since I'm too scared to learn how to do a clean install and then actually look for the system discs and do it.

Among those new skills that I've learned is that anytime my browsers seem to be out of my control - I go to the properties -> connections -> LAN settings and make sure that there is no check mark telling the browser to use a proxy server. Pretty much any time things get screwed up, I can count on the browser being set to a proxy server that commandeers it to and fro.

Just a thought that takes literally seconds and doesn't require a trip anywhere on the off chance it helps resolve the problem at least temporarily until you can get to the bottom of what is causing it.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I had some luck with http://www.malwarebytes.org during a recent attack a few months ago...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-28-2010 at 03:37 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

I had this infection a while ago. Spybot Search and Destroy got it on the first pass and took it all the way out. I sent them money I was so pleased.

Dick

I would like to live in a world where a chicken can cross a road without anybody questioning his motives.
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I had some luck with http://www.malwarebytes.org during a recent attack a few months ago...
hows that new computor pace ?
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd

hows that new computor pace ?
it's doing the job...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Track Collector

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I ended up taking it to a local computer professional. Long story made short, he was able to get rid of several infections, but he thinks some corruption has taken place and that my laptop system is unstable. It works ok now, but he believes the only way to get back to a stable system is a complete wipe out and to re-install everything.

He removed McAfee and a few other programs I tried and installed Norton. For now it seems to be working as Norton continues to block access by other programs/computers.

It is interesting to note that these things happen even when you are using some of the better known programs.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
kitts

"webroot" software has defeated three hijack attempts for me in recent weeks plus detecting/blocking suspicious items. I got it through Amazon.

Kitts Anderson
Chairman, Oldguys Oasis
kitts is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
Hanover1

I run a free version of Malwarebytes that tackles these types of problems quite well. I have also felt that Norton is hands down, less intrusive, and more effective than Macaffee. Running Windows Defender in the background is a good idea as well........it alerts you to potential system config changes before they happen, and gives you the options. Do not load emoticon or cursor toolbars either, or any other type of toolbar for that matter, unless you are aware that they frequently change your default browser. There are also ways to configure your browser settings, but I leave that for others to explain.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Hammerhead
Slicker Picker User

I had a big srew up Saturday night. While on this site I got a pop up that would not let me go anywhere except buy there product. I could not open any programs or any web pages.

I contacted MS and In safemode was able to download a program that took about 5 hours to clean up puter. Works fine now. The program that infected my puter was from England and was called something like AntiSpyware. They wanted from 49.00 to 69.00 for the stuff. It came on with every key stroke and startup.