Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #946
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight
why then doesnt the tip matchup with the total trn +horse look at 1st bel today ballythunder.thanks dart iam cofused
I think the confusion might come from the fact that there is a column for TRN TIPS points, and a column for HOR TIPS points, but not for the other misc. TIPS. ie. Cont. Screen, Sig. Group, Tote Board, etc.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #947
LEN C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
I think the confusion might come from the fact that there is a column for TRN TIPS points, and a column for HOR TIPS points, but not for the other misc. TIPS. ie. Cont. Screen, Sig. Group, Tote Board, etc.
Bingo!!

See my more detailed comment, which slipped in right before thins one.

Anybody finding the reports having any value?
LEN C is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #948
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEN C
Bingo!!

See my more detailed comment, which slipped in right before thins one.

Anybody finding the reports having any value?
Definite value, Len. Did you receive my e-mail concerning the combos??
Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #949
LEN C

Quote:
Definite value, Len. Did you receive my e-mail concerning the combos??
Nope. I feel a bit bad, as I probably let a few slip thrugh the cracks. As the dog-dust settles, I'd be open to trying again with new combos.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #950
dartman51

Quote:
Nope. I feel a bit bad, as I probably let a few slip thrugh the cracks. As the dog-dust settles, I'd be open to trying again with new combos.
Check your e=mail, I resent it.

Thanks
TS
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #951
LEN C

Quote:
Check your e=mail, I resent it.

Thanks
TS
This would be the next logical step, and I have thought of it. However, as good an idea as it is, it will probably not happen in 2009.

This is for some very good reasons.

First, I've probably spent too much time on TIPS, and there are other authors waiting for their crack at the software world.

But another reason to take our time is to get a list together that would make sense for everybody. I have a list (from the reports), but would like to see more situations. You might hake some ideas, and others might have other ideas.

And then what happens if somebody doesn't like what's on the list? I'm pointing in the large hit, small payoff situations. What is someone wants a low hit, longshot situation?

I'm not shooting it down. Far from it. TIPS has already saved tons of time for folks, but to have it automatically report on good situations would be heaven, and I could see people GLADLY paying AT LEAST $75-$100 for this.

I just don't want to have to keep coming back to it when somebody new wants THEIR favorites put in. I want it one shot and done.

So let me know what you think, and let's proceed in a slow, accurate manner.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #952
dartman51

you're on the right track, but, what I was looking for was the ability for the user to put in his own combo's along with their values. Something along the lines of J-Capper's UDMS ? also POL6 has the ability for the user to set up situations much like J-Capper, and I'm sure there others out there that do this, these are just 2 that I'm familiar with.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #953
LEN C

Quote:
you're on the right track, but, what I was looking for was the ability for the user to put in his own combo's along with their values. Something along the lines of J-Capper's UDMS ? also POL6 has the ability for the user to set up situations much like J-Capper, and I'm sure there others out there that do this, these are just 2 that I'm familiar with.
That's also doable, but again, we're proabaly looking at 2010 for another viable TIPS upgrade. WHICH BY thE WAY, I'LL BE DELIGHTED TO DO, AND WILL ENEN BUY ANOTHER PACEADVANTAGE S0PONSORSHIP WHEN THIS HAPPENS. It's just that I've already taken TIPS WAY above and beyond anything I've ever done before, it's time for other folks to get their turn with my time.

While I can see something where folks can enter their favorite combinations, and when those occur, to automatically flash this situation, let's spend the already dwindling months od 2009 seeing if there are some universally good combinations.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #954
dartman51

Quote:
That's also doable, but again, we're proabaly looking at 2010 for another viable TIPS upgrade. WHICH BY thE WAY, I'LL BE DELIGHTED TO DO, AND WILL ENEN BUY ANOTHER PACEADVANTAGE S0PONSORSHIP WHEN THIS HAPPENS. It's just that I've already taken TIPS WAY above and beyond anything I've ever done before, it's time for other folks to get their turn with my time.

While I can see something where folks can enter their favorite combinations, and when those occur, to automatically flash this situation, let's spend the already dwindling months od 2009 seeing if there are some universally good combinations.

I'm cool with that Len, it was just a thought. I've just been so impressed by the job you have done, I didn't want to see it end with that last upgrade, when I feel it can be made even better. 2010 will give us plenty of time to ferret out the best of the best, and come up with some really good ideas. I know that I, for one, will be doing a ton of research between now and then. Thanks again for the job you have done with TIPS.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #955
Lateralus

Quote:
I for one will guarantee that I will buy the upgrade even though I haven't used what I have yet, LOL. I'm planning on buying the latest materials from Jon Worth and subscribing to the TIPS Report as well so I can actually learn TIPS at the fundamental level.

Oh, and I am ready for version 6.0 Len - I'm going to start backtesting it using some ideas and a few thousand race database I have. I just sent you an e-mail to your "Elvis" e-mail address.

Len, out of curiosity, if the current version is 6.0, why is RPM shipping version 5.0 and then having people e-mail for the latest version? Why not just burn version 6.0 on a 10 cent blank CD and send the latest version? I'd also have Dave put your spreadsheets on the CD as well. They seem very useful.
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #956
Lateralus

Question for any TIPS users, both software and manual users.

I live in Vegas, and when I play I usually play at the same race & sports book in each time I go. I made a friend there who is also a regular (pretty much daily) a few months ago who is a very good longshot handicapper who plays 3 tracks. One major and two smaller. He's betting about 3 longshots per track per day (win only) on average so 9 bets per day. Like most longshot handicappers he has to endure long losing streaks but he's got a great ROI. Unfortunately he doesn't share his picks with me or teach me his methods, LOL. After the fact he will (and I see the tickets so I know he's not lying) but apparently he wants to keep all of his methodology to himself and doesn't yet trust me enough to know I will keep everything to myself.

WELL, I told him I had acquired a "certain piece of software" (TIPS of course) that just might be able to help him increase his win % and ROI to a very significant extent, and perhaps I could go over his past records (guy keeps meticulous records) and see if this new software of mine might really help hone in on his most likely winners and help eliminate some losers as well. In exchange, I told him that if what I proposed were to work, we'd start working as a tandem and he'd share his bets (and teach me how he handicaps) and I'd give him the data from my software. I didn't think he would be interested, but to my surprise he said to go for it, but he was extremely skeptical I could improve on his results.

I know for a fact he's not a TIPS handicapper. I'd mentioned POPS & TIPS in the past and he'd never heard of it.

So my question is this: is it feasible to think that going over several hundred of his past win bets that the TIPS software just may indeed drastically (or at least to a worthwhile extent) improve his ROI and win %? I'm thinking I should take all his wagers, categorize them by race type and track and then sort them by TIPS scores and see what happens. If it works, his ROI should be better on horses that had higher TIPS scores and lower or perhaps even negative the lower the TIPS scores got.

Feasible?
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #957
drahcir

To Len

You said, "First, I've probably spent too much time on TIPS, and there are other authors waiting for their crack at the software world."

Does this mean that any Tip being reported incorrectly will not be fixed until maybe 2010?

Drachir
drahcir is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #958
LEN C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus
So my question is this: is it feasible to think that going over several hundred of his past win bets that the TIPS software just may indeed drastically (or at least to a worthwhile extent) improve his ROI and win %? I'm thinking I should take all his wagers, categorize them by race type and track and then sort them by TIPS scores and see what happens. If it works, his ROI should be better on horses that had higher TIPS scores and lower or perhaps even negative the lower the TIPS scores got.

Feasible?
Feasible, sure, if you have lots and lots of time. It would have to be a labor of love, and I could see it being a fun project.

However, one problem I would see is gathering the data to run these through. Brisnet usually doesn't sell older data, and unless you already have it, or are independently wealthy, I wouldn't think it worth it. One thing I definitely wouldn't do is try to calculate it manually.

If your friend's methods are THAT good, then he'd be dropped off in his gold-plated limo every day to do battle with the horses. It may be that they are sound methods, but they may also go on an entirely different way of thinking that may or may not ever mesh. And to think that you, or anybody else is going to run away with his methods and reveal them to a world that is in breathless anticipation to get some is a little silly.

My advice would be, above all, to make this FUN. And to start your record keeping beginning now, where you can learn on a daily basis. Chances are you will both learn from each other, and both will gain. Did I mention to have FUN doing it?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #959
LEN C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus
I for one will guarantee that I will buy the upgrade even though I haven't used what I have yet, LOL. I'm planning on buying the latest materials from Jon Worth and subscribing to the TIPS Report as well so I can actually learn TIPS at the fundamental level.

Oh, and I am ready for version 6.0 Len - I'm going to start backtesting it using some ideas and a few thousand race database I have. I just sent you an e-mail to your "Elvis" e-mail address.

Len, out of curiosity, if the current version is 6.0, why is RPM shipping version 5.0 and then having people e-mail for the latest version? Why not just burn version 6.0 on a 10 cent blank CD and send the latest version? I'd also have Dave put your spreadsheets on the CD as well. They seem very useful.
I have just spoken to Dave about this. WHILE IT NEEDS TO BE UNDERSTOOD THAT MOST OF THE TIPS PACKAGES THAT ARE GOING TO BE SOLD HAVE ALREADY BEEN SOLD, any few remaining customers in the future will be shipped a 6.0 disk, or cand get 6.0 directly from the NET.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #960
LEN C

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcir
You said, "First, I've probably spent too much time on TIPS, and there are other authors waiting for their crack at the software world."

Does this mean that any Tip being reported incorrectly will not be fixed until maybe 2010?

Drachir
I'm not aware of any list of problems that have been reported. A HUGE AMOUNT of issues got resolved with the last release, and I'm not aware of anyrhing major, or even mid-level being reported as wong with the current version.