Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

View Poll Results: Who will win
Mayweather in 4 rounds or less 12 35.29%
Mayweather in more then 4 rounds 14 41.18%
McGregor in 4 rounds or less 4 11.76%
McGregor in more then 4 rounds 3 8.82%
It won't happen. One of them will have a "training injury" a week before the fight date. 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. This poll is closed

Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #16
_______
Veteran

The whole thing is a shit show.

Mayweather will unquestionably win this battle but McGregor and MMA will just as unquestionably win the war.

MMA will be dancing on boxing's grave in 10 years. This fight marks the day when boxing recognized it's new master and bowed.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
zico20

Mayweather can win in any round he pleases. The 20th ranked boxer in his weight range would easily defeat McGregor.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #18
kevb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
The whole thing is a shit show.

Mayweather will unquestionably win this battle but McGregor and MMA will just as unquestionably win the war.

MMA will be dancing on boxing's grave in 10 years. This fight marks the day when boxing recognized it's new master and bowed.
You might well be right, but I an looking forward to the fight. I'm not going to pay to watch it, but there is some drama--a different kind of drama that would be in a Mayweather out of retirement vs whoever is #2 #3 or #7.

Here is a link to an interesting article about the "fight".
http://bit.ly/2wgN9l5

Lou DiBella, Boxing:
“I don’t believe anyone’s getting cheated, I don’t believe it’s immoral or unethical,” DiBella says. “It is what it is. The world is the world. There are a lot of things I shake my head at all the time in 21st-century America. People like events and celebrity and conflict and immediate gratification.

“I don’t understand the Kardashians being stars. I don’t understand Housewife shows... It’s happening because a lot of people want to pay to see it.”
kevb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
mountainman

My brother and I will buy the fight because it's an event. A fun novelty. But Mayweather is a cinch. He will torture his foe.

And even IF McGregor manages to land a bomb, who says it will phase Mayweather??? Mayweather's granite chin is by far his most overlooked attribute. I've seen strong punchers land big shots, but Mayweather barely blinked.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #20
Mc990

This fight line has to be one of the more absurd things I've ever seen in gambling. It's currently sitting anywhere between -400 and -500...

Yes, this fight is a sideshow but it's also an opportunity that doesn't come around too often. The edge on Mayweather at this number is substantial... It has to close higher, right? Are the books going to get any buy back? At what number?

It's fascinating to me.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc990 View Post
This fight line has to be one of the more absurd things I've ever seen in gambling. It's currently sitting anywhere between -400 and -500...

Yes, this fight is a sideshow but it's also an opportunity that doesn't come around too often. The edge on Mayweather at this number is substantial... It has to close higher, right? Are the books going to get any buy back? At what number?

It's fascinating to me.
Kevb's link above had a quote from the manager at a book that bettors aren't even asking the odds before betting on McGregor.

This is one of the rare occasions where a prohibitive favorite is actually an overlay.

I got -450 at Bovada. I won't watch the fight but I bet it.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
proximity

if floyd loses this right on the heels of being unfollowed by bieber on instagram......
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #23
barn32
tmrpots

I think this fight will go the distance, so that makes the best bet Mayweather in a decision for ~+275.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #24
Inner Dirt

I can't for the life of me believe this event will be as profitable as they expect. Around me looks like just Hooters and large movie theater chains are showing it. The theaters want $40 a head, Hooters $50 with $30 a food voucher for future visits. Since I never eat at Hooters might as well figure their cost at $50. With those prices why would anyone go out and watch the fight?

Not worth it for those prices to satisfy my curiosity to see if Mayweather will just embarrass him and make him a bloody mess. I though maybe Joe's Dive Bar & Grill would show it for the cost of a couple beers and a burger, no such luck.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #25
lamboguy

i was in Vegas the week of the McNeely Tyson fight. Showtime had a deal that if the fight doesn't go 4 rounds you get your money back.

the fight line is Tyson -3500.

i see Vinney Vecchione who was McNeely's trainer. he was also a horse trainer at some point of time. he comes up to me and asks me if i can get down on the under for him at the sport books. i told him to take a hike.

i wound up betting it myself knowing Vinnie's as a double crosser. Showtime or someone associated with the fight had to say something to Tyson to make sure he doesn't split that kids head open until at least the 4th round.

the fight starts and sure as hell, 30 seconds into the fight Vecchione gets cute and throws his white towel into the ring and the referee stops the fight.

when i had placed my bet at the Mirage at the time, Jimmy Vaccaro came up to me and said he was loaded on the over and that i could bet as much as i wanted on under without moving the number!

the only ones that won on the fight were the sports books, Showtime had to lose a lot of money and i have no idea if Tyson got paid the full $6 million for the fight.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #26
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
I think this fight will go the distance, so that makes the best bet Mayweather in a decision for ~+275.
I wouldn't bet this "fight" if my worst enemy gave me free money to wager on the event.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
lamboguy

i just looked at the line and its only 4-1. that don't sound right to me
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #28
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i just looked at the line and its only 4-1. that don't sound right to me
It's not. He would be an underlay at 15-1.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #29
Inner Dirt

I would be curious as to the background of the people betting McGregor. I would venture a guess most are MMA fans that don't know much about Floyd Mayweather or even boxing for that matter and are the type that rarely bet on anything. Like I have said before, even top notch amateur fighters that have won Olympic medals start out fighting club fighters with uninspiring records. We have a guy making his pro boxing debut against a guy who is 49-0 and whose style doesn't even give him a punchers chance. This might not be as ugly as it should because of Mayweather's style.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #30
Hank

Voila

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (37).jpg (8.8 KB, 9 views)
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: