Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
beefas

signers??

I over heard a gent at suffolkdowns at the window, i guess he hit for $3600.00..and he wanted cash (NOT A CHECK)..i didnt ear drop just put my bet in and left..i thought with signers that big it was check only no?
beefas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefas
I over heard a gent at suffolkdowns at the window, i guess he hit for $3600.00..and he wanted cash (NOT A CHECK)..i didnt ear drop just put my bet in and left..i thought with signers that big it was check only no?
The legal answer is no. Different tracks may not have enough cash in the float to cover the amount, although not that one. If that is the case they would have to pay by check. Big tracks will almost always pay cash, unless requested otherwise by the patron.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Mr_Ed

The Arlington Hi-5 was just hit..............$1.1 MILLION dollars.

Cash or check?
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
lamboguy

i never play signers. one time years ago at rockingham, i made a large show bet on a horse at prarrie meadows on a july 3rd evening looking for a 2.20 payoff. i had been waiting for this horse to run there after she won a race at woodbine 5 weeks prior. as it turns out the horse i played for show ran second. i went back to the window that i made the bet because i told the cashier to keep my money there because i was going to be coming back for it after the race. she ran the ticket through the machine and i learned the payoff was $8.80 for third. i almost had a hear attack because the horse went off at 2-5. as it turns out there was another bridgejumper in the race that played a different horse in the race. she called the money room and they told her they didn't have enough money to pay the bet, but come back tomorrow and they will give me my money.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
usedtolovetvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

Cash or check?
With the state of a lot of the race tracks these days, I'll take the cash.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
beefas

hmm,, now thats what i was thinking, id want the cash you just never know, but i mean it was under $4000.00!! i think any track should be able to cover a $20,000.00 dollar pay out..i mean at suffolk i might take a check if it was $5000.00 or more, could be kind of risky getting to the car with 5 gizzo"s in the pocket..
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i never play signers.
What does this mean?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Figaro

Still a beginner so I've never been lucky enough to hit a big score yet. However, when I opened my new HPI online account with Woodbine, I also opened up a brand new bank account with a minimal balance strictly for horse racing. Anyway, my HPI account gives me the option of making withdrawals of $10,000 (per day) straight into my bank account. It would take 2-3 business day for the EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) to go into my bank account. Any winning ticket higher than $10,000 I would ask for a cheque.

There are always sketchy and shady characters at the race track so I'd never want to cash a huge winning ticket in front of these people. I would be patient enough have the winnings transferred directly to my horse racing bank account.

Now I just have to WIN, WIN, WIN!!!
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

Cash or check?
I wonder if it was a local, or out of state cashing it? One thing for sure the guy must be psychic, he sure isn't a handicapper!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
usedtolovetvg

When the track lets me bet with a check, I'll let them pay me with a check.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
FiveWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro
Still a beginner so I've never been lucky enough to hit a big score yet.

There are always sketchy and shady characters at the race track so I'd never want to cash a huge winning ticket in front of these people. I would be patient enough have the winnings transferred directly to my horse racing bank account.
Smart man for a beginner! Best always to go back another day when it's not busy and collect your winnings. If you must cash right then, have security personnel walk with you to your car.

-Five
FiveWide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
beefas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveWide
Smart man for a beginner! Best always to go back another day when it's not busy and collect your winnings. If you must cash right then, have security personnel walk with you to your car.

-Five
Thats a Roger....
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
When the track lets me bet with a check, I'll let them pay me with a check.
Hmmm...interesting you bring this up. I've seen a few times on-track at Arlington notices about return check fees (usually from ChexSystems or whatever 'processor' they use). Always wondered if from some people they actually accepted checks.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
baconswitchfarm

I could retire right now on the money tracks are holding in checks for their major players.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveWide

-Five
spoken like a man who knows that Russell and his boys (one, a former dallas cowboy tryout) hawk the irs signer windows on each side of the Pavillion, waiting to 'chat it up' with anyone signing for a decent hit.....
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply