Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #31
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
Thanks for the support in this thread. I really enjoyed the competition and it was a great way to stress test the handicapping process.

Kudos.

Onward and upward. Great feat, but I know you want more.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #32
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
You have a girlfriend so to bad you can't use "I was 25th in the NHC" as a pick up line.
LOL. I wonder if that would be any better or worse than this one. Seriously though, just qualifying for the NHC is an accomplishment. Finishing as high as 25th is really awesome. Plus, you (BCOURTNEY) seem like a good guy. Fuss too.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #33
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Last 2 winners have used STATS Lens.

Pen and paper guys. Old school style.
I've already enrolled at the "new school", and now use "pen and paper" just to jot down my wagers before placing them. But I've also been watching the performance of the STATS lens betting line on TVG...and, so far at least...I haven't been impressed. These last two NHC winners must bring a lot more to the table, IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-16-2019 at 01:15 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #34
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

STATS Race Lens was the major sponsor of the NHC....I would think there might have been a little "Compensation" package for those who wished to endorse their product from the Final Table....Same thing happens at the WSOP Final Table, with the players wearing patches and logos from various companies who give "payola" for players to wear their stuff, whether they use their product or not....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #35
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've already enrolled at the "new school", and now use "pen and paper" just to jot down my wagers before placing them. But I've also been watching the performance of the STATS lens betting line on TVG...and, so far at least...I haven't been impressed. These last two NHC winners must bring a lot more to the table, IMO.

What you see on TVG is just a snippet, usually the True Odds (Stats LLC computed probabilities/fair odds) or a stat the TVG Host uses to display their talking points. It's but a fraction of the product.

At the end of day 1, five of the top 10 were active Stats Race Lens users. What that means is anyone's guess. From my conversations with players at the NHC who also were customers, including Phil Lam (who finished third on the NHC Tour), their uses are quite varied including multiple pp customizations, deep dives into pedigree stats and use of specific track and situational angles. I am hopeful to speak with winner Scott Coles in the next few months and get more insight into his use and hopefully be in a similar position when I am once again eligible to play.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #36
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
STATS Race Lens was the major sponsor of the NHC....I would think there might have been a little "Compensation" package for those who wished to endorse their product from the Final Table....Same thing happens at the WSOP Final Table, with the players wearing patches and logos from various companies who give "payola" for players to wear their stuff, whether they use their product or not....

There was no "compensation package." The video Scott Coles did was spontaneous and without any prodding.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #37
Suff
Beat up 💪

I caught this interesting story about another player at #NHC19. Its does not say it in the article, but I saw Ray Paulick tweet that he interned at the Washington Post for Andy Beyer. AND that his Dad is a US Senator.

How a Rhodes College economics professor became one of world's best at betting on horses
Link

Last edited by Suff; 02-19-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #38
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I caught this interesting story about another player at #NHC19. Its does not say it in the article, but I saw Ray Paulick tweet that he interned at the Washington Post for Andy Beyer. AND that his Dad is a US Senator.

How a Rhodes College economics professor became one of world's best at betting on horses
Link
Marshall Gramm is an interesting person.
  1. He’s also a co-founder and part-owner of Ten Strike Racing, a 10-year-old syndicate named after the 1884 winner of the Tennessee Stakes held in Memphis.
  1. This semester, in addition to teaching intermediate macroeconomics at Rhodes, Gramm is also teaching a two-credit course called “the economics of racetrack wagering markets.
  1. fifth out of 390 horseplayers at the Breeders Cup Betting Challenge, in addition to top-10 finishes at events held at Belmont Park in New York and Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Ky
  1. He owns about 40 horses,
Old 02-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The winner was a guest here. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but will later today. Latest episode, dated 2-19.

https://soundcloud.com/inthemoneyplayerspodcast
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #40
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The winner was a guest here. Haven't had a chance to listen yet but will later today. Latest episode, dated 2-19.

https://soundcloud.com/inthemoneyplayerspodcast
Another interesting Horse Player. Sharp.

Peter Fornatale does a nice job. He was well was prepped, experienced and had the interview broken down into segments. He does a deep dive on each segment and keeps the interview focused and well paced.

I pulled a lot from the NHC winner, Scott Coles, because Peter let him speak. He drills deep on interesting points.

The features that he liked about Race Stat Lense, in all honesty, should have been in DRF Formulator years ago. Formulator filter features are more user intense than what Race Stat lense sounds like. Worth a look for filter players.

When Peter asks him the Million Dollar Question:
  • When it comes to your Handicapping where do you start?
  • TimeForm US.

Last edited by Suff; 02-21-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Another interesting Horse Player. Sharp.

Peter Fornatale does a nice job. He was well was prepped, experienced and had the interview broken down into segments. He does a deep dive on each segment and keeps the interview focused and well paced.

I pulled a lot from the NHC winner, Scott Coles, because Peter let him speak. He drills deep on interesting points.

The features that he liked about Race Stat Lense, in all honesty, should have been in DRF Formulator years ago. Formulator filter features are more user intense than what Race Stat lense sounds like. Worth a look for filter players.

When Peter asks him the Million Dollar Question:
  • When it comes to your Handicapping where do you start?
  • TimeForm US.
He was a good guest, lot of sharp stuff and also knows there is room to grow his game.

Peter always does a good job. I listen all the time while at the gym. Entertaining and informative.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #42
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
He was a good guest, lot of sharp stuff and also knows there is room to grow his game.

Peter always does a good job. I listen all the time while at the gym. Entertaining and informative.
The other noise, utgibghair getting into it with the other guy on twitter. That I can live without. Has the feel of a real house wives episode.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #43
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Here are Marshall's plays at the NHC....Might find a nugget in his methodology.

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #44
ubercapper

Having used both I disagree Formulator filter features are more intense than those in Stats Race Lens. With Stats Race Lens you have the ability to do deep dives on not only jockey and trainer, but also sire and dam, using hundreds of combinations. The results display the last five year's races which apply to the criteria for sires, and lifetime for dams. You can access the lifetime pps for any horse in the query results, with those applicable pp lines highlighted.

Here are a couple of examples (which I used recently handicapping a first time starter in a MSW Turf Route at Gulfstream): Dam, Lifetime, Foals in Maiden Special Weight, Route, Turf, First Time Starters.

For the same horse: Trainer, Last two years (can go up to five), First Time Starters, Maiden Special Weight, Turf, Route, on Lasix.

That all being said, what Scott Coles was referring to was the Angles module, which allows for 10s of thousands of combinations to create queries to test theories and to (using his words) "Flag" the user when a horse in an upcoming race meets that criteria.

Some, but not all, of this functionality is available free on the Race of the Day page at http://racelens.stats.com/
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #45
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Having used both I disagree Formulator filter features are more USER intense than those in Stats Race Lens.
[/url]
I used the words "User Intense", to mean: the formulator user has to set all the filters with drop downs, across 3 tabs. yes, you can save filters ( angles) in formulator, but I often end up using a custom filter, and that takes a second to build/create and save. As opposed to what I heard Scott saying about the pre-sets in State Race lense.

I was not suggesting that the angles in formulator are more intense, but the UI. ( user interface) requires work. Work that can be eliminated with pre-set choices. And from what I heard, Stat race lense has pre-sets, and formulator has none. You have to build them all yourself.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: