Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
lamboguy

todays 4th at Sam Houston

#7 LOOKIE COOKIE entered in this nw2l life race for Texas breds after he just won nw2l the week before. the racing office took the entry and someone figured out that the horse was ineligible for today's race. pretty dumb!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
MONEY

Lookie Cookie won on Feb. 6th, just one week ago.

According to the Condition Books, entries close one week before the race.

It is very likely that Lookie Cookie was entered into today's 4th race
before he won last weeks race.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
johnhannibalsmith

They draw a week out. So, more than likely, the morning of Feb. 6 they were taking entries for the race today and the horse in question was still a maiden winner. Then, after drawing, they ran the races and he won and became ineligible.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
the little guy

The OP in this thread was embarrassingly petty to begin with, especially from someone who envies a broken clock for its accuracy, but then to be ( essentially ) wrong is even more humiliating.

Oh well, at least we can give him credit for consistency.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The OP in this thread was embarrassingly petty to begin with, especially from someone who envies a broken clock for its accuracy, but then to be ( essentially ) wrong is even more humiliating.

Oh well, at least we can give him credit for consistency.
you obviously don't remember the days when the racing office in New York would not accept entries for horses running in condition races until after the race had been run because they had plenty of horses in those days and deemed it unfair for those that didn't get into the body of the race.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
you obviously don't remember the days when the racing office in New York would not accept entries for horses running in condition races until after the race had been run because they had plenty of horses in those days and deemed it unfair for those that didn't get into the body of the race.
You mean when they drew 24 hours out and the subway cost a nickel?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You mean when they drew 24 hours out and the subway cost a nickel?
no, you know exactly what i mean. this happened when they were using the star system, now they are on the date system and this should never happen today in New York.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:44 AM   #8
mountainman

On a note at least tangential to this incident...Some jurisdictions have an "in today" rule that denies all preference to horses drawn into the body (or scratching into the body) of the previous card.

Considering this an ineffective measure originally tailored to the ancient 24-hour schedule, i have long pressed for an expanded version denying preference to any horse yet to fulfill a committed engagement to run.

Of course- and this probably applies to the case in question here- should a race NOT overfill, no interim engagement to run would prohibit a horse from drawing in.

Also pertaining to this case, I'm more curious about official scratch time than about their entry schedule.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-14-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: i
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 AM   #9
lamboguy

the horse in question was a program scratch. if the jurisdiction happens to allow a conditioned horse to enter the same condition on the day of the race, the horse should have been scratched immediately after he won the race and this would never have shown up on the program a week later.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
Track Phantom

Another slightly tangential comment (or question rather). Why is it that places like Louisiana (Fair Grounds, Delta) can have their entries out 7-8 days in advance and others only 3 days or so? Selfishly, having entries so far out in advance make is much easier to stay committed to a circuit. Sure wish that was the norm everywhere.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
mountainman

Generally, the print guys are pacing the floor and cajoling the office for the program 5 min after scratch time. So once the final version, which can be built and completed as quickly as 30 min after scratch time, is given over, further scratches remain listed on the program.

It all hinges on Sam Houston's routine. And I would be surprised if this horse rendering himself ineligible for a subsequent commitment wasn't caught before the picture was snapped. Any decent racing sec or ast racing sec pride themselves on catching stuff like that immediately. The first rule pertaining to these occurrences is to catch and act on it YOURSELF. NEVER assume a fellow official has it covered.

BTW, as my own back-checker, which is akin to a skydiver packing his own parachute, my final step is ALWAYS to print out past performances on race-day. That's the ONLY way to make sure that INVADING runners eligible at time of entry have not won elsewhere since then.

As a perhaps interesting side bar, not all wins posted between time of entry and race time render the horse ineligible. I've seen supremely confident trainers skip a condition on the second overnite, thus ASSUMING, victory during the interim.

Most such wins, though, DO change the WEIGHT for the second engagement, which I have seen less-than-sharp officials miss completely.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: