Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:51 AM   #3106
FakeNameChanged

Russell Brand on the great Reset

Pretty interesting video on how big corps really accelerated their buying of single-family homes during the pandemic. I don't normally invest in REITs and wasn't aware that's who was buying all these non-commercial properties while the public wasn't paying their rents or mortgages. Companies like Blackrock saw a golden opportunity to increase their portfolios often using govt funds that were given to them to "help" through the crisis.

I remember commenting to my wife watching the news saying how in the H_ _ _ is the housing industry doing so well during the pandemic? It wasn't the single families buying or upgrading to bigger houses.

https://rumble.com/vtjtq5-what-the-g...ell+Brand&ep=2
Old 01-31-2022, 08:02 AM   #3107
lamboguy

https://thegreatrecession.info/blog/...lapse-of-2022/
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #3108
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Hope you all enjoyed today's Dead Cat Bounce....Monday is PAIN.
Maybe you meant "PAIN" for shorts?

Hey, you have a couple hours left in the trading day...maybe things will turn your way

Screenshot attached for your enjoyment (+340 on the NASDAQ....wow)

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-01-31 132449.png (34.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 01-31-2022 at 01:27 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 01:43 PM   #3109
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Pretty interesting video on how big corps really accelerated their buying of single-family homes during the pandemic. I don't normally invest in REITs and wasn't aware that's who was buying all these non-commercial properties while the public wasn't paying their rents or mortgages. Companies like Blackrock saw a golden opportunity to increase their portfolios often using govt funds that were given to them to "help" through the crisis.

I remember commenting to my wife watching the news saying how in the H_ _ _ is the housing industry doing so well during the pandemic? It wasn't the single families buying or upgrading to bigger houses.

https://rumble.com/vtjtq5-what-the-g...ell+Brand&ep=2

I really hope noone is taking that video seriously.

For one, the video makes the accusation that big banks and "Wall Street" are buying up massive chunks of mortgage backed securities. That puts them in the position where they have absolutely no reason to want the housing market to crash.

Second, there are still VERY VERY few REITs that deal in single family homes. managing them seems to be a big hurdle when compared to office buildings, warehouses etc, that REITs typically deal in. The biggest REIT I know of that deals in single family homes has about 56,000 houses. That's not very many in the grand scheme of things.

Zillow recently went into the business of buying single family houses and selling them for a profit. They have already exited the market in a pretty shitshow type fashion. Basically saying the logistics and local resources needed to make it work was not feasible.

I'm not saying that big banks should be trusted, I just think the "grand conspiracy" gives them a bit too much credit. Remember in the last financial crises these guys where the ones holding the bag on a bunch of worthless mortgages. Granted it's not like it cost the big wigs running the joints anything, but still, they basically ran the ship aground without a hint of knowing it was coming.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 01:47 PM   #3110
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Maybe you meant "PAIN" for shorts?

Hey, you have a couple hours left in the trading day...maybe things will turn your way

Screenshot attached for your enjoyment (+340 on the NASDAQ....wow)

This piled on top of Friday has me selling more shit.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #3111
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Hope you all enjoyed today's Dead Cat Bounce....Monday is PAIN.
tough luck
Old 01-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #3112
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I agree that Monday should be an extension of late Fridays gains...

All high tech stocks were rising after hours too

But WTF do I know.....

If Mikesal57 was still around....

Now he's a genius!!!

Good Call
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #3113
lamboguy

tough day to be short today
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 04:47 PM   #3114
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
tough luck
So I missed by a day or two....No biggie.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #3115
Rex Phinney

End of month bounce, lots of repositioning going on

I'm very curious to see how the rest of the week goes
Old 01-31-2022, 05:10 PM   #3116
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
I really hope noone is taking that video seriously.

For one, the video makes the accusation that big banks and "Wall Street" are buying up massive chunks of mortgage backed securities. That puts them in the position where they have absolutely no reason to want the housing market to crash.

Second, there are still VERY VERY few REITs that deal in single family homes. managing them seems to be a big hurdle when compared to office buildings, warehouses etc, that REITs typically deal in. The biggest REIT I know of that deals in single family homes has about 56,000 houses. That's not very many in the grand scheme of things.

Zillow recently went into the business of buying single family houses and selling them for a profit. They have already exited the market in a pretty shitshow type fashion. Basically saying the logistics and local resources needed to make it work was not feasible.

I'm not saying that big banks should be trusted, I just think the "grand conspiracy" gives them a bit too much credit. Remember in the last financial crises these guys where the ones holding the bag on a bunch of worthless mortgages. Granted it's not like it cost the big wigs running the joints anything, but still, they basically ran the ship aground without a hint of knowing it was coming.
It sounds like the WSJ is taking them seriously:

According to a Wall Street Journal report, BlackRock – led by billionaire Laurence Fink – is purchasing entire neighborhoods and converting single-family homes into rentals; while in cities like Houston, investors like Fink account for one-quarter of the home purchasers.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/blackr...home-ownership

I didn't hear anything on that video about buying mortgage backed securities, but may have missed it. He was talking actually buying the houses. As to them putting them into REIT's, I haven't researched that since I've steered clear of them for years.
When I GOOGLE Blackrock or other REITs there's a lot of articles about them buying up whole neighborhoods in the growing cities.
Early in the pandemic I would listen to some of the financial news reporting how well the housing market was doing, and was saying to my wife, that it made absolutely no sense since so many had lost their jobs. Lowes and Home Depot having two great years made tons of sense.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:16 PM   #3117
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
So I missed by a day or two....No biggie.
Except you posted Monday would bring PAIN

I don't think anyone who replied after your post agreed with you. I certainly didn't.

Anyhoo...nobody ever said this is the start of a 3 year bull run...

I take things day by day. Each day is its own entity. I am definitely NOT holding past 1 day. So it means everything to me that you missed it by a day or two.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:55 PM   #3118
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

I'm glad you're happy.....After all, that's why I'm here.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 08:53 PM   #3119
geroge.burns99
Veteran

I'm happy too..

I didn't get threaten to be banned again

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2022, 09:09 PM   #3120
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
It sounds like the WSJ is taking them seriously:

According to a Wall Street Journal report, BlackRock – led by billionaire Laurence Fink – is purchasing entire neighborhoods and converting single-family homes into rentals; while in cities like Houston, investors like Fink account for one-quarter of the home purchasers.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/blackr...home-ownership

I didn't hear anything on that video about buying mortgage backed securities, but may have missed it. He was talking actually buying the houses. As to them putting them into REIT's, I haven't researched that since I've steered clear of them for years.
When I GOOGLE Blackrock or other REITs there's a lot of articles about them buying up whole neighborhoods in the growing cities.
Early in the pandemic I would listen to some of the financial news reporting how well the housing market was doing, and was saying to my wife, that it made absolutely no sense since so many had lost their jobs. Lowes and Home Depot having two great years made tons of sense.

OK so there are some REITs buying houses.

Invitation homes is the one I think you’re referring to (sorry nothing you or Russell Brand had to say was specific at all). Invitation homes is spawned from Blackrock and it’s one of the two heavy hitters in the REIT single family house space. It owns about 80,000 houses. There are about 100,000,000 houses in the US. So this entity owns less than a tenth of a percent. In no way is it a recent development or has it went on a COVID spending spree. It began buying houses over a decade ago. And often the homes are bought in giant blocks from other large landlord entities. 1,500-1,600 houses in one deal is not uncommon.

So the idea that they only started buying one house at a time in the last 24 months and are running people out of their homes is not true.

44% of all homes have always been rented, it’s a pretty stable number. What is a reasonable argument is that the 44% is being consolidated. Much the same way the mom and pop stores or restaurants are replaced by Target, Wal Mart and Chili’s I think the same thing is happening here.

Last edited by Rex Phinney; 01-31-2022 at 09:10 PM.