Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
BMeadow

Keeping Expenses Down

I'm working on a column about keeping your racetrack expenses down (not by mooching off your friends or stiffing the valet!), figuring that a dollar saved is worth the same as a dollar made and any money you get back for wagering goes directly into the profit column. Among the ideas:

Own your own OTB (a couple of big players have their own).

If you qualify, sign up at a rebate shop.

At racebooks, get a players card and introduce yourself to the supervisor before you bet so your play can be monitored for comps.

At racetracks, sign up for their club membership to get mail offers and e-mail promotions.

Sign up with all account wagering services available in your state and take advantage of signup bonuses, free past performances, free tournaments, etc.

Get rebates from an offshore racebook if such betting is not illegal in your state.

Enroll in ehorsex.com, the betting exchange, if such betting is not illegal in your state--and start getting 5-1 on horses that are 3-1 at the track.

If you play with a bookmaker, Mr. Criminal, ask about rebates for net losses for the week, or month, or year (the shorter, the better).

Use the Internet for free services such as free charts from Equibase, free replays from Calracing.com, free news reports from Equidaily.com, etc. Visit track websites for promotions such as discount coupons.

Check the track program, entertainment books, tourist magazines, etc., for discount coupons. Some tracks offer senior days or Auto Club discounts.

More suggestions?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
misscashalot

Yeah

Forget all this none sense and win. Collect your cash and put it your pocket. Don't sign up for anything...your name will get around...and if your bet type allows, bet $1 increments. I do and that's the biggest savings of them all.

misscashalot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
InsideThePylons-MW

Go to Goodwill and try to get an exact match for the waiter uniform at your particular track. Whenever you are hungry, you can sneak into the kitchen and grab a snack for free.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
RonTiller

Barry,

I have a few:

1. Form a business and take advantage of tax benefits.
2. Take advantage of tax laws on a worldwide basis, including moving to a places like Panama.
3. Form partnerships to share expenses/expertise.
4. Hire cheap programmers from India.
5. Sell your work product (yes, if you're doing the work anyway, go ahead and offset expenses by selling Master Win Ratings or Sheets or Yabadabado Pace Ratings, as long as it doesn't negatively impact on you own betting).
6. Pack your own lunch (bologna sandwich and a banana) and take to track.
7. Pick up tickets laying on the ground and look for carelessly thrown away winning tickets.

Ron Tiller
HDW
RonTiller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
098poi

Barry,
I think a post was deleted here, but just as well. I always welcome your input on this board!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
keilan
Veteran

Move to Canada & forget about paying taxes
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
proximity

i don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but for a future column or possibly as an appendix in any further editions of your book, i'd like to see you create a "maximum bet" chart that would tell how many times the charts in your book you could "safely" bet at different tracks.

just another idea...
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
Go to Goodwill and try to get an exact match for the waiter uniform at your particular track. Whenever you are hungry, you can sneak into the kitchen and grab a snack for free.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan
Move to Canada & forget about paying taxes
now that's an idea!!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Perhaps it is just me but it appears that this topic is not being taken seriously.

Does anyone else get that?
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
Kelso
Veteran

Look for monthly free passes. MTH gives them away with each paid admission on an announced Saturday or Sunday each month, so you get twenty or so racing dates for the price of one. If your track doesn't offer the passes, ask the suits to start doing so.

Join the real folks out on the apron and/or at the picnic tables ... where MTH allows patrons to bring in coolers full of their respective beverages-of-choice. If your track doesn't allow the practice, ask the suits to start doing so.

Oh, hell ... just get a room down the Jersey shore between May and September. The racing's good ... and the watching's cheap. (Count your change at the windows, though.)
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Perhaps it is just me but it appears that this topic is not being taken seriously.

Does anyone else get that?
yep............
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #13
pic6vic

What about time. how much is that worth. I live 30 miles from SA and Hollywood. No other off track betting. If i am lucky it will only take 30 minutes. The cheapest way is to saty at home and play one of the ADW's. Unfortunately since I am in Calif I cannot legally use a rebater. With the price of gas thta will add another $10.00 in expenses
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
stu

Buy PPs in Bulk

Monthly, quarterly, or annual online subscriptions to the DRF are much cheaper than buying the hard copy daily.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Donnie

Dave--
After reading thru the list intially, I had to double check the poster's name. I didn't think it was a serious post at first.
Then I tried to figure out who this column is pointed to. Some of the things on the list are no-brainers for the serious horseplayer (rebates, etc.). Some are just ridiculous.
Loved this one.....If you play with a bookmaker, Mr. Criminal, ask about rebates for net losses for the week, or month, or year (the shorter, the better).
Coupon-clipping for the horseplayer? While I understand the enjoyment of comps, I don't source out coupons.
The best strategy.....stay at home, play at home. The menu at the snack bar is unlimited, and very affordable (especially if you coupon clip ). No gas costs. No parking fees. No entrance fees. Time is saved by downloading and crunching your own figures with a computer. Nobody is trying to talk you onto their horse. You can take naps between races or do work around the house between races. You can recycle the paper (it doesn't go into the landfills). You can IM with friends to get their impressions realtime. Complete access to all previous races and results if you archive your data. No bookies asking for payment.

Last edited by Donnie@HTR; 04-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply