Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
just think what your post count would be without speed bumps.
Can I sue?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #17
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
For the past 4 or 5 days the Paceadvantage website is not loading the way it normally does. Sometimes I get a page not found error after several minutes of the spinning circle.

Other websites load normally for me which make me think it is the PA website, but I can't rule out that it could be my computer.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Nope, it's not your computer. This has been going on for awhile. I think the tremendous weight of the Religious site is the culprit.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
chazz

Installing win 8.1

go to support.microsoft.com and find out who to call to help you install win 10
chazz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Can I sue?
I hear Pace is independently wealthy, so why not? He may give you the board as compensation.

Last edited by tucker6; 07-15-2016 at 08:56 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazz
go to support.microsoft.com and find out who to call to help you install win 10
Shirley U. Jest! Don't you know there's no such thing as a free lunch? What is free now, MS will eventually charge everyone a subscription fee of $7. per month down the road -- and for Spyware disguising itself as an OS to boot.
And when MS goes this route and eventually puts everyone on a monthly subscription plan regardless of the OS, that's when I go to Linux or Apple.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
upthecreek

$7 subscription

Doesn't look like it will affect most consumers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#49e23251dfab
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Shirley U. Jest! Don't you know there's no such thing as a free lunch? What is free now, MS will eventually charge everyone a subscription fee of $7. per month down the road -- and for Spyware disguising itself as an OS to boot.
And when MS goes this route and eventually puts everyone on a monthly subscription plan regardless of the OS, that's when I go to Linux or Apple.

I'm still running Win 7, but am noticing more and more problems with websites locking up. It's getting to the point where I can't open too many tabs because one tab will eventually freeze up and I have to reboot the browser and re-navigate to all the tabs I had open.

Microsoft eventually wants Windows 10 to be like your cable set-top box -- recurring rental fee.

Last edited by highnote; 07-15-2016 at 10:54 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #23
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Can I sue?
I hear John Edwards is taking on new cases
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #24
davew

I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on searching on eBay almost unbearable.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #25
jk3521
Registered Loser

[QUOTE=davew]I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on on eBay almost unbearable.[/QUOTE

I have adblock plus so I don't see those ads and still have trouble with this site , mostly in the early morning hours when I try to log on after 5 A.M.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #26
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
I suspect the lag is related to the adchoices advertisements. Advertisements now are much more than a simple picture - some have movies and who knows what info they try to suck from your computer..It has made loading on searching on eBay almost unbearable.

I used to read the news on yahoo, but that's also becoming hard to read. As I scroll down the page it will freeze up. Their news site stinks, so it's not a big deal.

CNN's website is pretty awful, too.

I turn off cookies for most sites. NY Times and Forbes require cookies to be turned on, so I don't read their sites.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #27
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Doesn't look like it will affect most consumers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#49e23251dfab
Not initially. But trust me: This will be the new marketing strategy going forward. I suspect that with the plethora of small gadgets out there, and with no end of the growing popularity of "small" in site, there will be far fewer desktops and laptops out there for MS to put their OSs into. MS just has too much competition. The demand for full blown Windows OS will continue to decrease. In fact, leasing, renting or subscribing has already caught on in other sectors of the internet businesses. For example, at one time you could buy a Uverse modem outright for a relatively modest price. But no more. Uverse now only leases their modems. Guess for how much? Would you believe $7. per month? Being online is only going to get more expensive going forward. And what's ironic about that is that the connect speeds in the U.S. are appreciably slower than in Europe! So...you're going to pay more for the internet experience while enjoying it less.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 PM   #28
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Not initially. But trust me: This will be the new marketing strategy going forward. I suspect that with the plethora of small gadgets out there, and with no end of the growing popularity of "small" in site, there will be far fewer desktops and laptops out there for MS to put their OSs into. MS just has too much competition. The demand for full blown Windows OS will continue to decrease. In fact, leasing, renting or subscribing has already caught on in other sectors of the internet businesses. For example, at one time you could buy a Uverse modem outright for a relatively modest price. But no more. Uverse now only leases their modems. Guess for how much? Would you believe $7. per month? Being online is only going to get more expensive going forward. And what's ironic about that is that the connect speeds in the U.S. are appreciably slower than in Europe! So...you're going to pay more for the internet experience while enjoying it less.
When I retire I might get rid of everything except a house phone and snail mail. I might even buy a newspaper subscription. If people want to contact me they can call, visit, or send me a letter. I can live without the internet. Or go to the library when I really need to post something on Paceadvantage.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #29
Dave Schwartz

I am just guessing here but I'd say there are DNS issues somewhere - possibly close to the physical server's location.

Personally, I do not get slow page loads, but occasionally the page could not be reached error is shown. It has been better in the last few days.

Disclaimer: Nobody will ever confuse me with a web maven.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #30
fast4522

Truth is I have never had a slow page load here at PA, but then again I am still running XP Pro and Chrome. The next level of flash and Chrome is a no no under XP, me thinks Y'all are are having the updating blues.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply