Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #1771
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Unemployment numbers are why the markets dived 30% in the first place...they knew that was coming long ago...priced in already...old news brutha...
And the S&P futures are rising now because...?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:17 AM   #1772
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And the S&P futures are rising now because...?
This is nothing...rise...fall...they rise 70 points in 10-15 minutes these days...somebody sneezes and they'll fall 35 points in under 5 minutes.

Just happy to see no lock LIMIT DOWN this morning...that's all...
Old 03-30-2020, 02:18 AM   #1773
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

BTW, when this is all over, get ready for YEARS of the most BORING and SLOW MOVING markets you've ever seen...it's going to take YEARS to consolidate the kind of movement we've seen the past month or so....and that means a sideways market...gonna be a snooze fest...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #1774
lamboguy

Quote:
BTW, when this is all over, get ready for YEARS of the most BORING and SLOW MOVING markets you've ever seen...it's going to take YEARS to consolidate the kind of movement we've seen the past month or so....and that means a sideways market...gonna be a snooze fest...
i wonder at what point one thinks this is over? is it over when the dow goes down to 15,000? is it over once we get to possible new highs? or does it go to new highs then comes completely apart and it goes down to 5000 or below? if those aren't enough questions, does anyone have the catalysts for all these possible moves to get to the boring part? and the last question is going to be in the scope of things IS IT REALLY GOING TO MATTER TO THE WORLD WHAT NUMBERS DO OR DO NOT HAVE ONCE IT STOPS MOVING AND GETS BORING?
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #1775
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Every time there are massive moves in the markets there are periods of consolidation...every single time...

And the quicker the move, the longer the consolidation time...

We've had the biggest, quickest drop in the history of the market, if I'm not mistaken.

Add in the fact that we are quickly destroying our economy and it's only going to be that much more difficult to start any accelerated move back up again...

The downward move will be over when it's over.

Is it over now? Maybe...could be...maybe not...

You'll know when it's over just like you know when the virus is over...

You get a peak level of volume and then it will level off...and prices will move sideways to slightly higher for a period of time as the volume levels off...

Or something like that.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #1776
FakeNameChanged

The two out of three broad market indicators I use, says it's time to dip a few toes back in the water. But for now, will not go past the ankle. The third indicator may go green today, but these indicators have zero history during a pandemic.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #1777
lamboguy

the 3 biggest indicators for all markets including real estate are

1. population

2. population

3. population

no question other indications do follow this, but population is the main driver of anything.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #1778
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the 3 biggest indicators for all markets including real estate are

1. population

2. population

3. population

no question other indications do follow this, but population is the main driver of anything.

Right on brother! So since the fuse has been lit for the second coming of Baby Boom II, you should be all in, right? In our country, and a lot of Europe, population growth has slowed a great deal.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #1779
Valuist

Quote:
Sell options and collect premiums.

I agree its going to take a long time to repair all the technical damage.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #1780
lamboguy

contract oil going for under $20 per barrel, but you can get your ass down to Texas and buy all you want for $5 per barrel.

where is oil headed from here?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #1781
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
contract oil going for under $20 per barrel, but you can get your ass down to Texas and buy all you want for $5 per barrel.

where is oil headed from here?
Not much lower. We have a lot of the world locked down, keeping demand at ridiculously low levels. Once the shelter in place/lockdowns go away, demand will obviously rise. And like I said earlier, either Putin or the Saudis will blink, IMO.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #1782
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Not much lower. We have a lot of the world locked down, keeping demand at ridiculously low levels. Once the shelter in place/lockdowns go away, demand will obviously rise. And like I said earlier, either Putin or the Saudis will blink, IMO.
somebody got to blink at $17
Old 04-01-2020, 02:48 AM   #1783
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Stock futures point to a DOWN day in the markets, to open the 2nd quarter....

https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2020, 03:27 AM   #1784
highernote

I hope the following is helpful:

I don't know if we are at the bottom of the covid crises, but there are some positive signs on the horizon. This video gave me a lot of reasons to believe we are almost through the worst of the crisis:

"NYC FRONT LINES DOCTOR EXPLAINS HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET INFECTED AND STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID-19": https://bit.ly/39m188U

This is a must watch video if you want to protect yourself from the virus. It's from a doctor who is treating covid patients in a NYC hospital.

But this thread is about the stock market and this video makes me think the market will be rebounding sooner than later.

I wrote software that scans all the listed options and the underlying common and then makes a list of good covered call candidates where you buy 100 shares of stock and sell 1 option. The minimum annualized return on investment of trades on the list is 40%.

On a typical day last year there might 30 to 50 candidates and most of those are not tradeable becuase they are too risky -- pending lawsuits or risky biotechs. But last week there were over 1,000 potential trades! That's because there is so much volatility which causes high option premiums. The last time I saw this was March of 2009. That was the bottom of the financial crisis.

I maintain a market timing model that was created by Martin Zweig. It has served me well. I sold everything back on February 26. I thought I would be out of the market for 18 months like I was when I sold everything in July of 2007 and didn't buy until March 2009.

So based on what the NYC doctor said, based on my Zweig timing model, and based on the number of stocks with high option premiums, I'm betting we are close to the bottom. (BUT I COULD BE WRONG!)

I figured it was time to get back in the market today so I looked at the ten stock recommendations yesterday from "The Motley Fool Stock Advisor" service. I noticed that of their ten recommendations four of them appeared on my list of covered call trades -- Zoom, Slack, The Trade Desk, and Luckin Coffee.

Luckin has dozens of class action lawsuits filed against it. So I won't touch that one.

Zoom and The Trade Desk are priced too high. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this market in case the market drops further. I want to be mostly in cash.

So today I bought shares of Slack @ $28.01 and sold April 17 calls with a strike price of $24 for $5.10. After fees, this trade should have an annualized rate of return of 64% if the stock trades at or above $24 on the expiration date. It can fall to $23.11 (18%) before the downside break-even point is reached.

If the stock falls below $23.11 I keep all the option premium, but lose on the stock. However, it's a stock I want to own long-term anyway so I don't mind if it falls below $23. I still have a cash on the sideline to make more trades if good ones appear.

I'll post a list of potential trades in the next hour or so for anyone who is interested.
highernote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #1785
sammy the sage

Don't think the market has CV 19 fully baked in yet....the media SCARE tactics have REALLY ramped up more....and with Wal-mart starting to make ALL employees wear masks and temperature CHECKING EVERYONE....that's NEW...and will cause some downside...

I have been wrong before....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: