Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Teach

Saratoga Picks: Friday, July 25

Race One:

The opener is a maiden-claiming sprint. My pick: Silver Union. This Dixieland Band-bred filly is dropping two classes; she's also adding lasix. In addition, she draws an outside post that should be to her benefit. John Velazquez has been one of the meet’s leading riders. George Weaver’s a solid trainer. However, Weaver is 0 for 16 when conditioning a horse that adds lasix. Also, he only stands at 10% when dropping two class levels. There’s much on the positive side of the ledger; yet, there’s also much to be concerned about. Jockey Velazquez should have this filly "on the engine". Question: Can she stay there? Velazquez is going to have to carefully parcel out this filly’s speed. Too much expended too early and it will be a minor award. Also: Naughty Matilda; Vision of Mine; Untiltherewasyou.

Race Two:

In this 7-furlong filly and mare claimer, I’m giving my tepid nod to Shaunna Alexandra. This lightly-raced Go for Gin-bred mare was second in her last over two months ago at Prx. She’s stretching out a panel here; that may well help her chances. The mare has hit the tote in four out of six lifetime tries. The veteran reinsman, Edgar Prado, is in the irons for trainer Jim Klesaris. Also: My Place; Appearance; Fleet Sixteen.

Race Three:

In this marathon turf optional claimer I’m going with Saffron Hall. Yes, the Giant’s Causeway-bred gelding is moving up in class. Also, he hasn’t raced in over two months. Yet, Mike Maker is an excellent trainer and the red-hot Javier Castellano is in the irons. The gelding looks like he has the stamina to go the twelve panels. The Storm Cat-bred gelding has put together some solid works in preparation for this race. Also: Royal Blessing; Clearbrook; Grand Rapport.

Race Four:

In this optional claiming sprint, I’m going with Noble Cornerstone. The Giant’s Causeway-bred gelding has a good deal of back-class. He’s meeting a group of horses that he should be able to handle. Trainer Thomas Morley is very good with horses making their third start off a layoff. The gelding turned in a recent “bullet” work in which he drilled three panels in :34.1, breezing. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Also: Jeter; The Big Deluxe; Horatio.

Race Five:

In this claiming turf sprint, I like Animal Style. I believe this colt should benefit from his outside post. The Unbridled-bred colt just missed in his last and appears ready - with this drop in class - to appear in the winner’s circle. Irad Ortiz, Jr. for trainer Mike Maker. The gelding has hit the tote in seven out of eight turf tries. Trainer Maker is excellent with beaten favorites. Also: Stormy Rocit; Decisive Move; Tiz Yankee.

Race Six:

In this optional claiming route, I like Code West (if he’s the half of the entry that’s entered). The 4 year-old Lemon Drop Kid-bred ridgling has faced much better in the past. He appears to have dropped into a spot where he can prevail over the competition. Julien Leparoux rides for former Suffolk Downs trainer, Wayne Catalano. Catalano, by the way, is very good when entering horses in routes. The ridgling has hit the tote in eleven of 14 lifetime tries. Also: Qualify; Bad Hombre; Balance of Power.

Race Seven:

In this maiden-special Inner Turf route I like Mobilize. The Danzig-bred filly has hit the tote in all five of her turf tries. Any slight improvement and this “Shug” McGaughey trainee might well find herself in the winner’s circle having her picture taken. The filly is stepping up in class; yet the class hike shouldn’t hinder her chances in her current good form. John Velazquez is in the irons. Oh, her two recent “bullet” works signal this filly’s readiness. Also: Shift Colors; Hope Cross; Rapid Repair.

Race Eight:

In this seven furlong allowance, I’m going with a medium longshot, Finding Candy. The Candy Ride-bred colt did lose to weaker in his last start. Yet he was claimed out of that CD race by the very fine trainer, Bruce Brown. Brown is good with shippers. I believe the gelding will benefit from his outside post and the services of the red-hot Javier Castellano. Also: Noble Doss; M J Plus; Readthebyline

Race Nine:

In the 100k Curlin for 3 year-olds at a mile and one-eighth, I like a medium longshot, Cousin Stephen. The Gone West-bred colt gamely won his last at Prx against weaker. The colt appears to be in very good form as evidenced by his solid recent morning work-tab. Trainer Chad Brown has a 30% record in ungraded stakes. The Hall-of-Famer, John Velazquez, is in the irons. Also: Commanding Curve; Protonico; Life in Shambles.

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden-special turf route, I’m picking Knotty Pine. The Jonathan Sheppard trainee has two seconds in two tries on the lawn. Any slight improvement… The filly has a solid turf pedigree. Trainer Sheppard is good with maiden specials. Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons. Also: Fresh Feline; Forensic; Upstaged.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply