Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #31
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
A God outside of time can move as swiftly or slowly within time, as he wills.
Or he can move "slowly" because he doesn't want any of his elect to perish (2Pet 3:8-10). And this was part of Peter's answer to the mockers of the Parousia (2Pet 3:3-7).
Old 08-10-2023, 03:40 PM   #32
thaskalos

Or he can move "slowly" because he is not there at all. Let's not forget that this is a possibility too.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #33
46zilzal
velocitician

Just like Buddha, Lao Tze, Confucius and Mohammed a figure from history who had a devoted following

None of them are around
Old 08-10-2023, 04:16 PM   #34
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Just like Buddha, Lao Tze, Confucius and Mohammed a figure from history who had a devoted following

None of them are around
Their effects are around, same as Epicurus, Nietzsche and Sartre. But for Christians, Christ is the First Cause of the others, the contingent individuals and events of history the secondary cause. For the Christian, truth is a Person, not a philosophy.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:46 PM   #35
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post

None of them are around[
Seriously. There are millions of us around in this country alone. You need to get out more often. Plus Christianity is growing leaps and bounds in third world countries.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:53 PM   #36
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Seriously. There are millions of us around in this country alone. You need to get out more often. Plus Christianity is growing leaps and bounds in third world countries.
Any idea why Christianity is losing customers in the first and second world countries?
Old 08-10-2023, 06:59 PM   #37
jimmyb

Christianity has existed in the Philippines since 1521. 90 percent of the population are christian, yet they remain a third world country. Average wage is 6 dollars a day.

Yeah Jesus, way to reward their devotion.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 07:09 PM   #38
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Christianity has existed in the Philippines since 1521. 90 percent of the population are christian, yet they remain a third world country. Average wage is 6 dollars a day.

Yeah Jesus, way to reward their devotion.
Jesus's "reward" comes after the believers die. That way the "customers" can't come back to the priests, looking for a refund.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-10-2023 at 07:12 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #39
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Jesus's "reward" comes after the believers die.
Ask and ye shall receive... a crucifix up ones ass, and bone dry.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 08:17 PM   #40
boxcar

Quote:
Jesus's "reward" comes after the believers die. That way the "customers" can't come back to the priests, looking for a refund.
Not true! The heavenly rewards begin at the supernatural new birth in this life via the gift of the Holy Spirit within every believer.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:25 PM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
Any idea why Christianity is losing customers in the first and second world countries?
Sure. The more wealthy nations tend to trust in their wealth than in the Creator. As Jesus essentially said, "One cannot serve money and God; for he will love one and hate the other".
Old 08-11-2023, 06:37 PM   #42
porchy44

Quote:
Their effects are around, same as Epicurus, Nietzsche and Sartre. But for Christians, Christ is the First Cause of the others, the contingent individuals and events of history the secondary cause. For the Christian, truth is a Person, not a philosophy.
Yes, but C. S. Lewis gives a good answer: “Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy must be answered.”
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 11:39 PM   #43
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Yes, but C. S. Lewis gives a good answer: “Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy must be answered.”
I used to have your optimism regarding dialogue and philosophy. Today the goal is to win, rather than understand better. Marx rather successfully said, in effect, "Philosophers want to understand the world. The goal is to change it". Socially, politically, and economically.

Ever since, Modernity has no need of the transcendent, busy with pursuing scientific and technological progress for utilitarian purposes, including man, while on the side pursuing the other revolution, the sexual.

Descartes, and especially Bacon got their wish of at least significantly controlling nature, by only considering the quantifiable. By the late 19th century, "scientism" was in full bloom. Qualitative experience was relocated to the subjective mind, and not actually a present property in nature.

Do you think the transgender movement, e.g., by psychologically and nominally creating their own "reality", has any concept that they are the fullest expression of Sartre's existentialism, versus the classical essentialism of Christianity, for one? It's just emotionalism , brought about exponentially in the last decade in large part by social media, as well as being anti-science. Ask Dawkins. How do you argue for essentialism, when science rejects it in order to justify "gradual" evolution? Last I looked, there are still zoologists classifying species.

It's my experience of the last few years that progressives do not want dialogue. They wish to steamroll opponents. I know we're supposed to be evangelistic, you and I in our particular faith tradtion, but I basically circle the wagons now except for my family and loved ones, perhaps friends who express interest in dialogue. And maybe here when the mood strikes between races, with no illusions about giving or receiving anything worthwhile.

I personally extend the mythopoetic narrative of the Tower of Babel to, not just language but subjective experience, even of God. The closer one is to union with God, per Theresa of Avila, et.al., the less one is able to express it to others. Carry on.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #44
boxcar

Quote:
I used to have your optimism regarding dialogue and philosophy. Today the goal is to win, rather than understand better. Marx rather successfully said, in effect, "Philosophers want to understand the world. The goal is to change it". Socially, politically, and economically.

Ever since, Modernity has no need of the transcendent, busy with pursuing scientific and technological progress for utilitarian purposes, including man, while on the side pursuing the other revolution, the sexual.

Descartes, and especially Bacon got their wish of at least significantly controlling nature, by only considering the quantifiable. By the late 19th century, "scientism" was in full bloom. Qualitative experience was relocated to the subjective mind, and not actually a present property in nature.

Do you think the transgender movement, e.g., by psychologically and nominally creating their own "reality", has any concept that they are the fullest expression of Sartre's existentialism, versus the classical essentialism of Christianity, for one? It's just emotionalism , brought about exponentially in the last decade in large part by social media, as well as being anti-science. Ask Dawkins. How do you argue for essentialism, when science rejects it in order to justify "gradual" evolution? Last I looked, there are still zoologists classifying species.

It's my experience of the last few years that progressives do not want dialogue. They wish to steamroll opponents. I know we're supposed to be evangelistic, you and I in our particular faith tradtion, but I basically circle the wagons now except for my family and loved ones, perhaps friends who express interest in dialogue. And maybe here when the mood strikes between races, with no illusions about giving or receiving anything worthwhile.

I personally extend the mythopoetic narrative of the Tower of Babel to, not just language but subjective experience, even of God. The closer one is to union with God, per Theresa of Avila, et.al., the less one is able to express it to others. Carry on.
But was that Jesus' experience? Who was "closer...to union with God" than he? Yet, not only did sinners marvel at his teaching but he saved many, as well.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:12 AM   #45
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
But was that Jesus' experience? Who was "closer...to union with God" than he? Yet, not only did sinners marvel at his teaching but he saved many, as well.
By virtue of his divine nature, Jesus' human nature had immediate knowledge of the Father in his glory- the "Beatific Vision" if I may. He did not need faith or hope, or his natural state joined to supernatural "participation in divine nature" (2 Pt 1:4) thru grace, like those hearers past, present or future on the journey.

I would submit that our union with God proceeds from knowledge of God
(and to your point, sharing that knowledge) to infused contemplation of God (Lk 5:16) with varying degrees between.