Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Taxes matter

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...low-tax-states

Losing House seats in blue States. Some red

These states are poised to lose seats:

New York will lose two, from 27 to 25;
Alabama will lose one, from seven to six;
California will lose one or remain even, from 53 to 52 or no change;
Michigan will lose one, from 14 to 13;
Minnesota will lose one or remain even, from eight to seven or no change;
Ohio will lose one, from 16 to 15;
Pennsylvania will lose one, from 18 to 17;
Rhode Island will lose one, from two to one; and
West Virginia will lose one, from three to two.

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
reckless
Veteran

The evil 'rich' are able to do something most people cannot do -- vote with their feet. And they are voting in droves.

The story above should also be a clarion call to all blue state legislators that the loss of both population and tax revenue is directly linked to their onerous high tax and spend policies and not the Trump Tax Tax and Reform of 2017.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
California's population is estimated in 2018 to be 39.5 million, UP 2.3 million from 2010.(37.2 million)Congress seats are based on population and the census held every 10 years.Recent net migration may be a negative for the Golden State but people who live there are having children, not to mention that California is a relatively young state so the birth/death ratio is not as big a factor as it is older Northern states.

So exactly how are they going to LOSE representatives?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 02-13-2019 at 12:29 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
California's population is estimated in 2018 to be 39.5 million, UP 2.3 million from 2010.(37.2 million)Congress seats are based on population and the census held every 10 years.Recent net migration may be a negative for the Golden State but people who live there are having children, not to mention that California is a relatively young state so the birth/death ratio is not as big a factor as it is older Northern states.

So exactly how are they going to LOSE representatives?
The info is in the article. Take it up with them.

Texas gains 3, California loses 2? What a delightful thought....
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

I have met, spoken to, know & am related to some Californians & New Yorkers that have relocated to Texas. They will not change how they vote. They will vote democrat. Texas is destined to become a blue state.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
I have met, spoken to, know & am related to some Californians & New Yorkers that have relocated to Texas. They will not change how they vote. They will vote democrat. Texas is destined to become a blue state.
yep........ Maybe even next Prez election........

the funky bumper stickers are everywhere...........
Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Actually the info on HOW California may lose a rep isn't in the article.However another article did explain it.Essentially California's population growth, although higher than the national average, isn't that much higher.When there are extra reps to be portioned out, states that show significantly higher growth rates get the extra goodies, which explains why Texas will probably be getting three . Also California will probably be even, it will definitely not lose 2.You'll have to be delighted some other way.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:
Quite ironic that they escaped the high taxes brought on by Democrats in NY and now wish to continue backing those policies while benefiting from the conservative low taxes. Will they not be satisfied until everyone is as tortured as NY taxpayers?
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
lamboguy

in Massachusetts there are surpluses. its the only state i know of that has a surplus over $1billion right now and heading to $3 billion within 2 years. the governor is not giving anyone a tax break now and is constantly looking for new ways to increase revenues. Mass. is one of the highest taxed states and nobody is leaving the state and they keep on paying.

the latest thing they want to tax are uber and lyft rides. they want 5.75% for their end. they also recently stuck a tax on short term rentals throughout the state. they have increased plenty of fees as well.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
sammy the sage

Quote:
Yepper...here in Fla. too.......I ask them...why move here besides the weather....lower taxes of course...of course I then tell them....well....you need to change your voting....most of them as SO dumbfounded/clueless......I'm sure I've even lost a customer or two...BUT...I've also converted a customer or two...alas...Fla is heading slowly but surely blue....

and yes...whilst I bash Trump...it's for his incompetence...I'm 75% conservative...but more libertarian one would say...(ie...common sense I would say)....

anyways...carry on...

Last edited by sammy the sage; 02-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
davew

The problem with the people leaving the high tax states, are many of them are libs. When they leave their high tax state, they take their lib values with them to their new state. Many people in west coast states are not happy about being californicated.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #12
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
...I'm 75% conservative...but more libertarian one would say...(ie...common sense I would say)....

anyways...carry on...
I am 90% bedrock conservative and 10% libertarian, some good bourbon every 7 to 9 days will help to not pollute that 90%. I suggest stop putting the Coca Cola into what you drink to boost the big percentage.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
in Massachusetts there are surpluses. its the only state i know of that has a surplus over $1billion right now and heading to $3 billion within 2 years. the governor is not giving anyone a tax break now and is constantly looking for new ways to increase revenues. Mass. is one of the highest taxed states and nobody is leaving the state and they keep on paying.

the latest thing they want to tax are uber and lyft rides. they want 5.75% for their end. they also recently stuck a tax on short term rentals throughout the state. they have increased plenty of fees as well.
Mass has consistently run deficits but finally had a surplus in 2018 due to a booming economy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...kbM/story.html

Many people have left Mass to avoid the tax burden. Their exodus is not nearly as much as the higher taxed states such as NY, CT and NJ.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
ElKabong

:
Quote:
Most people I know that moved here were from the Midwest. Almost all are conservative.

For clarification, when I say "most people I know that moved here " included mostly co workers (Engineers) and neighbors and acquantances. My experience isn't the only one to be counted , others may be around NY and CA folks.

Fwiw, I spend most of my time with folks in the northern suburbs in the metroplex (most are from other states originally, and conservative) and THEY are complaining about the liberal politics of the newer wave of people moving here be they retirees or younger. Seems like the people moving here recently are far less open minded when it comes to politics. A new generation of yellow dog democrats I guess.

Last edited by ElKabong; 02-14-2019 at 03:47 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: