Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
After that thread we had last week, I was wondering if Vic Stauffer had lost a step (I haven't been listening to his calls this year), but he delivered a pitch perfect call of this race, including the wide trip of Improbable and the move by Long Range Toddy.
well he needed to after calling Midnight Bisou as being being under pressure on the turn when I never saw Smith move an inch on the horse, he was loaded the whole way.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
f2tornado

Improbable likely wins with better trip but he still got hooked by a frequent bridesmaid. Now likely needs to hit the show pool next out to get a Derby gate.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #18
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
After that thread we had last week, I was wondering if Vic Stauffer had lost a step (I haven't been listening to his calls this year), but he delivered a pitch perfect call of this race, including the wide trip of Improbable and the move by Long Range Toddy.
All that good will was lost two races later, Game Time?
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
Bennie

Not sure where to put this question but in reference to yesterdays race, did anyone else notice that the TFUS pace numbers ,early/late that have been included in the DRF forms were missing from some horses running at Oaklawn, Improbable included?
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
picojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by delsully View Post
All that good will was lost two races later, Game Time?
also calling Rosarios name 3 times during the race and not calling any other jockey,
I know he used to be his agent but still
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Improbable likely wins with better trip but he still got hooked by a frequent bridesmaid. Now likely needs to hit the show pool next out to get a Derby gate.
That should be no problem. Second start off the bench. Hopefully a better post position.

He could get 3rd or 4th with a B effort.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
That should be no problem. Second start off the bench. Hopefully a better post position.

He could get 3rd or 4th with a B effort.
And the 10 points for a 4th is probably enough. By all indications from those who follow works more closely, Improbable was primed. His Equibase figure went up six points from the Cash Call. It just happened Toddy freaked by posting a career best and 13 points more than previous outing. Perhaps Asmussen recharged the zapper batteries or he's a big bounce candidate. The half panel in 6.06 is solid but Improbable getting hooked when there are questions about how far a City Zip will go leaves me hedging toward the other Baffert at this point. The 9F preps should make things more clear.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #23
Spalding No!

Did Long Range Toddy really receive a clever ride from Jon Court or did the CA horses receive silly rides from their respective pilots? Or was it both?

Flavien Prat on Galilean exercised some patience along with Court heading into the far turn and his mount was compromised by hopping in the air at the start, but perhaps ultimately was the horse was outclassed anyways.

Van Dyke got Improbable caught wide into the first turn, stayed wide, and went all in a bit too soon, especially with a fairly long stretch at Oaklawn with a horse that some say (me included) may be distance challenged on pedigree. I hope he didn't get caught up in Smith's fantasy world.

Mike Smith...what is there to say? He's either consistently terrible in these big stakes or every horse just runs off with him (his excuse on Abel Tasman)--despite his horses settling well for the first half of the race. It's one thing to make an early run on a slow pace with a horse in a stalking, first flight position, but it's another to sweep past half the field to take up the running over 4 furlongs out. Curiously, he was in no hurry with Midnight Bisou in the Azeri, which saw a much slower pace. Extra Hope was a marginal contender for the KY Derby, but he certainly lost out on some Derby points as he conceivably could have outfinished the compromised Galilean with a saner ride.

Court gave a ride reminiscent of Eddie Delahoussaye in the 1991 Arkansas Derby, where the versatile Olympio set the early pace, was shuffled back to something like 5th entering the far turn, then rallied on the outside and won by open lengths.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #24
Blenheim
Race Player

Rather be at OP than SA . . .

Two fun races to watch w/ lots of good intel from each.

Masterful ride by Jon Court to win the first and a nice pop of the whip late stretch by Money Mike to live up to his name to win the second. The cognoscenti thought these two races would give everyone a better idea of who is who and what is what; it did neither – looks to me like anything can happen from here on in. Interesting drama and wonderful intrigue . . . this Kentucky Derby should be a good one.

Gotta give a tip of the hat to the race course management at Oaklawn Park for splitting this race and upping the ante by a cool half million; what they did was good for the sport and from what I’ve read, it was a real fine day of racing at Oaklawn Park. Racetrack Superintendent did an outstanding job and provided a real nice racing strip . . . I’d rather be at OP than SA.

Lookin forward to the Arkansas!

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #25
oaklawnhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
Not sure where to put this question but in reference to yesterdays race, did anyone else notice that the TFUS pace numbers ,early/late that have been included in the DRF forms were missing from some horses running at Oaklawn, Improbable included?

I noticed that as well -- seemed like it was just on the west coast runners.
oaklawnhogg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #26
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklawnhogg View Post
I've been riding with Long Range Toddy all year. . . . . just like I rode with Combatant all year

I'll do it again --- he very well could get a favorable trip in this field.

I'm against Galilean, so I'll play it something like:

Key box /

Tri: //

Tri: //
nice call!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: