Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 01:26 AM   #76
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So now seeing it said on Twitter that they cant sell the property now as its designated a landmark. However, having your hand forced by government or outside forces allows an individual to recoup money on such a property.

I could see that being the endgame here.

Never believe any claim that "you can't sell the property because it is a landmark".

Soldier Field was a historic landmark. Take a look at it now.

Powerful landowners with development plans can easily defeat landmark status, or cabin it in such a way that it is no impediment to their plans.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 AM   #77
taxicab

Uh oh.....

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...n-on-the-22nd/
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #78
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Could anybody imagine if 2 American bred horses ran 1-2 in the Arc? They'd never allow another American bred in the race.
Happened twice in the 70's.

Actually, both Raven's Pass and Henrythenavigator were American bred horses, too.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #79
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
My wife and I were discussing the fatalities. She asked me my thoughts as to why there so many fatal breakdowns.
My first though was that over the last 25 years or so, the thoroughbred horse has had much of the stamina and strength bred out and replaced with breeding for speed.
I have no idea why this occurred. But these animals seem to be more prone to injury.
Horses race maybe 8 to 10 times per year. Stakes horses half that.
ON a typical racing program there might be as few as two races that are not sprints. BTW, as far as I am concerned a mile is not a route. Its an extended sprint.
I looked through some old programs. I can find zero races for older horses less than 6 furlongs.
Those 5.5 furlong races for older maidens and claimers are on every program. Back then, only two year olds went shorter than 6f.
These horses have no stamina. Stamina is strength. Strength means a solid core. Vertebrate animals with a solid core are durable.

Agree everything in your post except for the bolded part.

According to stats on The Jockey Club Website, today's thoroughbreds barely average 6 starts per year. (As recently as 1975 they averaged more than 10 starts per year.)

Follow the red line on the graph below:
http://www.jockeyclub.com/default.as...ion=FB&area=10

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JockeyClubStartsPerYear.JPG (51.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #80
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
My wife and I were discussing the fatalities. She asked me my thoughts as to why there so many fatal breakdowns.
My first though was that over the last 25 years or so, the thoroughbred horse has had much of the stamina and strength bred out and replaced with breeding for speed.
I have no idea why this occurred. But these animals seem to be more prone to injury.
Horses race maybe 8 to 10 times per year. Stakes horses half that.
ON a typical racing program there might be as few as two races that are not sprints. BTW, as far as I am concerned a mile is not a route. Its an extended sprint.
I looked through some old programs. I can find zero races for older horses less than 6 furlongs.
Those 5.5 furlong races for older maidens and claimers are on every program. Back then, only two year olds went shorter than 6f.
These horses have no stamina. Stamina is strength. Strength means a solid core. Vertebrate animals with a solid core are durable.
It was a long-term process that built on itself. Horses that were physically developed early and have a lot of speed over short distances (but not necessarily stamina or soundness) sold for big bucks at yearling and 2YO sales. Breeders made quick money, they bred more of those horses. More sprinters with little stamina were available, so tracks carded more sprints. If you don't have horses that want to go long distances, fewer of those races are carded, major stakes got shorter, so there's even less of a need for stamina, fewer of those horses were bred, etc. Keep in mind it was over 30 or 40 years and many generations.

I don't know how you resolve it overnight.

If anyone thinks health problems or "unsoundness" can't be bred into animals over generations, do a Google search for bulldog breeding.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #81
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Every trainer should know whether their horse is a true bleeder or not.

There is no learning curve for knowing if your horse is a bleeder or not.

Allan
you actually don't know unless they bleed visibly from their nostrils or it shows up in a scope. They often times don't do either.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #82
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
As a former Owner of Race horses at Santa Anita in the 1980's I do remember that when we were winning races the Vet bills went up. Just saying.
that's not unusual. what's in those vet bills is what matters.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #83
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
If lasix is the issue wouldn’t horses be breaking down everywhere?
do you have split personalities? When I suggest drugs probably aren't the problem at SA you loose your mind and claim they are. Now your saying exactly what I'm saying
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #84
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
do you have split personalities? When I suggest drugs probably aren't the problem at SA you loose your mind and claim they are. Now your saying exactly what I'm saying
Check out @latsondheimer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/st...648381952?s=09
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #85
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
The problem is your reading comprehension, or lack thereof. First, I never lost (or loost) my mind. I also never suggested drugs are the problem. I’ve been pretty consistent with what I think the issues are. I’ve laid it out multiple times. I’m not going to do it again, since you seem incapable of getting it and will never admit the trainers are in the wrong at all.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #86
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
The problem is your reading comprehension, or lack thereof. First, I never lost (or loost) my mind. I also never suggested drugs are the problem. I’ve been pretty consistent with what I think the issues are. I’ve laid it out multiple times. I’m not going to do it again, since you seem incapable of getting it and will never admit the trainers are in the wrong at all.
so what are these trainers doing to break these horses down?
Old 03-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #87
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Check out @latsondheimer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/st...648381952?s=09
I'm not sure what to make of that. It'll either be short term or SA will be finished. Horses will be leaving their to beat hell.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #88
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
so what are these trainers doing to break these horses down?
Again, I’ve posted it more than a few times. You were a trainer right? Shouldnt be that hard to figure out.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #89
airford1

Quote:
I'm not sure what to make of that. It'll either be short term or SA will be finished. Horses will be leaving their to beat hell.
They already have. I bet you could get as many stalls at Santa Anita as you want.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #90
bob60566
Vancouver Island

https://www.latimes.com/sports/more/...316-story.html

Game on
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply