Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #301
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
I got's to buy you a mirror too...damn the list is getting long....
Shockingly my post flew right over your head. But I love gifts so I’ll take the mirror.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #302
Thomas Roulston

Stronach is the Abaddon of horse racing - The Great Destroyer.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #303
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
If people treated racehorses like their own pets, then they'd treat them with Lasix. It is the most humane, effective treatment for EIPH. It's incredibly stupid that Lasix keeps being debated.
I disagree. If racehorses were treated like pets they wouldn't be raced. They certainly wouldn't be whipped!

It should NOT be necessary to give a horse Lasix in order for it to run. If it can't run without Lasix or any other kind of drug then it should not be racing.

Lasix is not used on horses in Hong Kong and the horses are doing just fine. If the horse continues to bleed too many times then it is ruled off the track and banned from racing. That is the humane way to treat a bleeding horse.

NYRA was one of the last jurisdictions to prohibit race day Lasix. Eventually, they caved to industry pressure. They used to a leader. Then they became a follower. Big mistake in my opinion. They diminished their integrity.

Lastly, Lasix masks the problem, it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Last edited by highnote; 04-06-2019 at 07:18 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #304
taxicab

This is interesting....
Kind of tips what the NYRA/Keen/Churchill see in the tea leaves down the road for California racing.
They're making the correct move,give all three credit for being very aware of what's going on............something the Stronach Group/California horsemen haven't figured out yet.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...-stakes-races/
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #305
horses4courses

[QUOTE=highnote;2449638]If racehorses were treated like pets they wouldn't be raced[QUOTE]

......or bred in the first place.

I agree with you about the use of Lasix.
Horses who run shouldn't use it on race day.....bleeders should be retired.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #306
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
This is interesting....
Kind of tips what the NYRA/Keen/Churchill see in the tea leaves down the road for California racing.
They're making the correct move,give all three credit for being very aware of what's going on............something the Stronach Group/California horsemen haven't figured out yet.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...-stakes-races/
When US racing bans all raceday medications I will bet again. For now I am happy betting HK.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #307
burnsy
self medicated

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...-solve-it-now/
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #308
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
There are a few major reasons why we'll never see a lasix ban implemented imo - most importantly is that the American thoroughbred has been bred for speed because trainers could put it on lasix and push it to its limit with little worry about it bleeding. The bloodstock in the US can't run without lasix after having spent a generation on it. The second is that if I had to make a wager, American trainers can't condition a horse without lasix, they're not true horsemen like you see in Europe, Australia, etc.

While I agree all race day meds should be eliminated, you're looking at the end of American thoroughbred racing if lasix is banned. It will kill the breeding industry, and owners will flee too when the risk of spending big on a horse includes that it might never make it to the track. Tracks won't fill cards, trainers won't fill barns.....and most importantly, the horse slaughter industry will flourish with all of the thoroughbreds that bleed
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #309
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Maybe setting a example for other tracks to follow.? Three down how many more to come.

https://www.drf.com/news/two-trainer...=news/all-news
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #310
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
There are a few major reasons why we'll never see a lasix ban implemented imo - most importantly is that the American thoroughbred has been bred for speed because trainers could put it on lasix and push it to its limit with little worry about it bleeding. The bloodstock in the US can't run without lasix after having spent a generation on it. The second is that if I had to make a wager, American trainers can't condition a horse without lasix, they're not true horsemen like you see in Europe, Australia, etc.

While I agree all race day meds should be eliminated, you're looking at the end of American thoroughbred racing if lasix is banned. It will kill the breeding industry, and owners will flee too when the risk of spending big on a horse includes that it might never make it to the track. Tracks won't fill cards, trainers won't fill barns.....and most importantly, the horse slaughter industry will flourish with all of the thoroughbreds that bleed
Banning Lasix will not signal the end of American racing. Most trainers are not primarily using Lasix to treat bleeders or even to prevent bleeding. There was no evidence it would prevent bleeding at the time it was first permitted. It is mainly used for it's performance enhancing ability which has clearly been proven and is not mainly due to it's effect on bleeding. That is most likely due to it's diuretic weight reducing effect. There is also a dark side involved since by diluting urine it may also mask the presence of other illegal drugs. Even if it is feared that the banning of Lasix will cause an epidemic of bleeding, trainers can easily use less stressful training methods like trainers in Europe use on sprinters. Runhappy was Americas Eclipse winning sprinter who never raced on Lasix and never bled. There is not a lot of evidence to show how he was atypical.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: