Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Gee whiz. Finishing T2 with a final round of 62 seems pretty good to me.
Nobody is saying it wasn't a great round. However, shooting a 62 while starting early and not really contending is a lot different than doing it while in one of the final groups and battling for the win. It is certainly a good sign, but he has shot good rounds before in this "comeback".
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Tiger's biggest weapon was his mental toughness and feeling of being invincible. All that was shattered on that November evening a few years ago. Now nobody is intimidated by him, on the course or off.
Especially the sportswriters and media who would have never asked him questions 5 years ago that they do today with no hesitation.

It's a completely different era toda. FDR was able to hide the fact he was in a wheelchair and Kennedy his affairs. With a minimum of one camera and video recorder in many's possession most times scruntiny is and will stay at an all time high. Tiger doesn't handle that well especially in the long term.

Also these young guns are in a different era as far as intimidation goes. They grew up in a youtube era and it hardly affects them. McElroy was shown on tv yesterday doing this. How many times has Tiger declined interviews even directly after a tournament he lost.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/gall...photo=30756444

He doesn't mind the media attention that's a huge positive in any pro sport.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
DJofSD
Screw PC

More grist

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/john...rs-top-rounds/
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
Golf and Horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He has faced it a few times already this year and come up woefully short.
Yes...he has come up short a few times. Phil stepped on him pretty good at Pebble on Sunday. Phil made every putt he looked at and Tiger missed a ridiculous amount of short putts...and who can forget his beat down at the hands of the great Robert Rock? All I'm saying is I hope he gets back to form for the simple reason that I would love to see some battles between him, Rory, Phil,et al. Especially at the majors. Let's see if that final round is the kickstart for him.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
delayjf

Quote:
The younger pups are also just as good at hitting the ball, and many outdrive him...with a 3 wood.
CJ, is the above true? I watched a little this weekend and saw him drive the ball 320 yards.

I always felt his big edge was his length - that edge no longer exists.

I also think the years he has spent swinging a club has caught up with him. The nagging injuries have changed his swing for the worst, limited his practice time which has affected his consistancy, which has affected his mental toughness.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
CJ, is the above true? I watched a little this weekend and saw him drive the ball 320 yards.

I always felt his big edge was his length - that edge no longer exists.

I also think the years he has spent swinging a club has caught up with him. The nagging injuries have changed his swing for the worst, limited his practice time which has affected his consistancy, which has affected his mental toughness.
There are plenty of guys that outhit him now. More importantly, they are the good players, not just a few bombers that aren't great golfers. He has gotten some of his length back lately, but still, it isn't the weapon for him that it was.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
There are plenty of guys that outhit him now. More importantly, they are the good players, not just a few bombers that aren't great golfers. He has gotten some of his length back lately, but still, it isn't the weapon for him that it was.
His long drives was really a small part of his success. It was much more what he did following his drives. He was lethal with his putter and it is that more than anything that has hurt him in the past few years.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
His long drives was really a small part of his success. It was much more what he did following his drives. He was lethal with his putter and it is that more than anything that has hurt him in the past few years.
They didn't change the layout of Augusta and add rough because Tiger was a great putter.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
They didn't change the layout of Augusta and add rough because Tiger was a great putter.
Ask any of the greats that went into a drought what the culprit was and most will say it was their putter.
Getting on the green on a par 5 in 2 is good, 3 putting makes you no better than the guy behind you. That's not rocket science.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
Golf and Horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

They didn't exactly change the layout...they moved some tee boxes and as you said added rough...the basic layout remained unchanged. They did that because Woods was bombing drives around doglegs and hitting into par 5's with short irons, however I gotta agree with Marshall...his putting has been his biggest obstacle...the latest swing change took awhile to get together, but once he starts putting well...it should be fun to watch all these guys go at it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Ask any of the greats that went into a drought what the culprit was and most will say it was their putter.
Getting on the green on a par 5 in 2 is good, 3 putting makes you no better than the guy behind you. That's not rocket science.
That is all true. It also doesn't have a thing to do with what I posted about Augusta. Tiger certainly had a big distance advantage over his competition.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Tiger was ranked #1 in driving distance last weekend.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Nobody is saying it wasn't a great round. However, shooting a 62 while starting early and not really contending is a lot different than doing it while in one of the final groups and battling for the win. It is certainly a good sign, but he has shot good rounds before in this "comeback".
I've never seen Tiger rally like that. He's the best at protecting a lead but this is uncommon behavior. If this were a horse race, as his trainer I couldn't wait to run him back. I say he's poised to win the Masters and if I can get a price I'll bet him.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

"A lion will not cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood!"
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
DJofSD
Screw PC

Ya, ya, we've been all over that already. Sorry, but I'm not interested in that subject any more.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: