Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #1006
Clocker

Never mind!

The union that represents border patrol agents recently took down a web page that argued against a border wall, saying it was a waste of money and didn't address the real problems.

Quote:
A union that represents Border Patrol agents recently deleted a webpage that said building walls and fences along the border to stop illegal immigration would be “wasting taxpayer money.”

The deleted webpage, posted in 2012, argued that border barriers don’t tackle the root causes of migration — and could potentially encourage more migrants to enter the U.S. fraudulently or overstay visas.

The webpage was taken down after the union's president endorsed the wall at a White House news briefing earlier this month.

“Walls and fences are temporary solutions that focus on the symptom (illegal immigration) rather than the problem (employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens),” the union wrote in a media FAQ.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...fences-1081250
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #1007
Burls
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Yes... raising approximately 0.2% of the required funds certainly demonstrates an overwhelming public support for the wall.
C'mon Ely, give them a chance.
They can raise enough money in another 80 years or so.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #1008
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Personally, I'm not reading anything into it. It has been shown in the past that interest of the typical American in any cause wanes after a while and it's on to the next cause celebre. I also think that if Trump didn't make it such a big subject in his campaign, waited until he got in office and had someone introduce a bill to build such a wall , they would already have started work on it. Also, I partially blame Trump and his bombastic comments in general for hurting his chances of getting anything done. Why rile up your opposition? A wall is fine with me.
The thing is what got him ALL the attention was his tirade against Mexico right from the get-go.Without that, he would have finished fifth in the Iowa caucuses, dropped his campaign and started a reboot of The Apprentice.Impossible to separate the two, although I agree with your theory.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #1009
Clocker

The article linked below discusses the idea of Trump declaring a national emergency and using the military to build a wall. The author points out that the law governing national emergencies, 10 U.S.C. Section 2808, says that the emergency must require the use of the armed forces. It would appear that the president would bear the burden of proof to show that.

Given that, 33 U.S.C Section 2293 says that the military can only be used "to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works".

The critical word there is "authorized". National emergency or not, the military can't be used to construct a wall that has not been authorized by Congress.

I don't know if Trump has been informed of the law here. If he has, it may explain his failure to declare an emergency.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...minent-domain/
Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #1010
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The article linked below discusses the idea of Trump declaring a national emergency and using the military to build a wall. The author points out that the law governing national emergencies, 10 U.S.C. Section 2808, says that the emergency must require the use of the armed forces. It would appear that the president would bear the burden of proof to show that.

Given that, 33 U.S.C Section 2293 says that the military can only be used "to construct or assist in the construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of authorized civil works".

The critical word there is "authorized". National emergency or not, the military can't be used to construct a wall that has not been authorized by Congress.

I don't know if Trump has been informed of the law here. If he has, it may explain his failure to declare an emergency.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...minent-domain/
authorized doesn't necessarily mean congress. The military simply have to be used to secure the area during the construction. so easy to work around it's crazy.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #1011
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
C'mon Ely, give them a chance.
They can raise enough money in another 80 years or so.

One of the dumbest fundraisers I've seen on Twitter, and that is saying something.

Then again, still doesn't rank nearly as close to the amount of stupids that believe our 2016 election was hijacked by Russia.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #1012
FantasticDan
gelding

Trump-supporting border sheriff: NO WALL wanted or needed:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #1013
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
authorized doesn't necessarily mean congress.
Who else can authorize government spending?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #1014
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Trump-supporting border sheriff: NO WALL wanted or needed:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/
So what makes HIS opinion ore important than other border patrol agents who disagree? I would think BP agents know more what is going on the border than sheriffs do.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #1015
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So what makes HIS opinion ore important than other border patrol agents who disagree? I would think BP agents know more what is going on the border than sheriffs do.

Tom, you are asking FanDan to think. He can only Google, Copy, Paste, repeat.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #1016
woodtoo

Fentanyl overdose deaths up 21% last year 63,600, dragging down life expectancy rates.
President Trump is trying to stop the madness.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #1017
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

People getting higher and higher as their ability to deal with Trump Derangement Syndrome gets harder and harder...
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #1018
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Fentanyl overdose deaths up 21% last year 63,600, dragging down life expectancy rates.
President Trump is trying to stop the madness.
People should put their own house in order before telling others how to live.

BTW, fentanyl is also coming into the US via shipping containers and mail, so the opioid crisis is not a really good argument for a wall.

Quote:
The opioid crisis and record-setting death counts caused by fentanyl flooding into Canada could get worse because of a growing diplomatic dispute with China, sources have informed Global News.

Canadian law enforcement agencies have found that fentanyl and its chemical precursors are mostly produced in southern China factories and sent to North America via shipping containers, and in the mail.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4658188/f...atic-tensions/
Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #1019
woodtoo

These drugs are one more reason for a State of Emergency.

Record Fentanyl Seizure. CPB Officers in Arizona seized 254 pounds of fentanyl 395 pounds of Meth in a tractor trailer.

It was not mailed in or in a shipping container.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #1020
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
CPB Officers in Arizona seized 254 pounds of fentanyl 395 pounds of Meth in a tractor trailer.
That trailer swam the Rio Grande, and would have been stopped by a wall?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: