Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #751
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Bottom line is the Democrats took 40 seats in the House of Representatives actively campaigning against a wall.

That. Is. The. Bottom. Line.

I don't think getting the $1.67 and full year is actually a smart move for the GOP. They are better surrendering here and fighting again in 2 months... not heading into the heart of election season... voters don't want a wall.
don't forget about all their new seats in the senate.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #752
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
don't forget about all their new seats in the senate.
Yes.

Huge wins picking up seats in R+12 states...

In actual swing states D's took 2 and R's took 1.

Like I said the house flipped by 40 seats (probably going to end up being 41) going to the party who actively went against the wall.

EDIT) R+20 states... quick check at ballotpedia.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 01-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #753
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Like I said the house flipped by 40 seats (probably going to end up being 41) going to the party who actively went against the wall.
So you think the wall was the difference?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #754
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
So you think the wall was the difference?
Did we watch the same campaign the last 30 days?

It was a huge issue... it was almost the sole issue Trump went on the campaign trail with.

It worked in that he squeezed every little last drop he could out of his base.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #755
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

https://www.theepochtimes.com/thousa...y_2750344.html

WASHINGTON—As family units pour into the United States, immigration authorities are being forced to release thousands of them into the country within days, as detention space is overwhelmed.

In the past two months, Border Patrol has apprehended more than 102,000 family units and unaccompanied minors along the Southwest border.
In Yuma, Arizona, Sheriff Leon Wilmot said that since September, the Border Patrol has been apprehending anywhere between 116 to 200 illegal aliens daily.

At that pace, the sector will go from handling 5,424 illegal aliens in fiscal 2018 to almost 58,000 during fiscal year 2019.

“Basically what’s happening now, is they’re being processed through Border Patrol here and then they’re bused to Pima County and Maricopa County—to get on buses to get to their final destinations,” Wilmot said. “And that’s usually in the Carolinas—either North or South Carolina—or they’re going to Florida, or they’re going to San Diego.”
“They’re going to other places within the interior of the United States, which is having an impact on those sheriffs and those communities, because they don’t have the adequate resources to be able to handle that.”

Even Greyhound is struggling to keep up. Wilmot said a local NGO rented an entire motel for the family units that had been released but had to wait in Yuma for a bus to become available.
The family units coming into the United States are almost all from Central America. Most cross the border illegally, then turn themselves in to Border Patrol agents and claim asylum.

Under the 1997 Clinton-era Flores Settlement Agreement, unaccompanied children aren’t supposed to be held in detention longer than 20 days. A 2015 ruling on Flores by a California District judge widened the 20-day limit to apply to children who are accompanied by adults.
A case in which the asylum-seeker is detained takes at least 45 days to adjudicate, which leaves the Department of Homeland Security one option—to release the family into the interior to await their court date. This practice is known as “catch-and-release.”
Once released, more than one-quarter of those who are tracked with ankle bracelets abscond, Matthew Albence, executive associate director of ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations, said in Senate hearing testimony on Sept. 9. Additionally, 40 percent fail to fill out a formal asylum application and a further 31 percent fail to appear at their court hearing.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 01-02-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #756
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

OK, let's compromise - a freaking MOAT!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #757
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

Before the fence was built, all that separated that stretch of Mexico from California was a single strand of cable that demarcated the international border.
Back then, Border Patrol agent Jim Henry says he was overwhelmed by the stream of immigrants who crossed into the United States illegally just in that sector.
"It was an area that was out of control," Henry says. "There were over 100,000 aliens crossing through this area a year."
Today, Henry is assistant chief of the Border Patrol's San Diego sector. He says apprehensions here are down 95 percent, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year, largely because the single strand of cable marking the border was replaced by double -- and in some places, triple -- fencing.

Weird. 95% effective for San Diego back in 2006 with fencing.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #758
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

Before the fence was built, all that separated that stretch of Mexico from California was a single strand of cable that demarcated the international border.
Back then, Border Patrol agent Jim Henry says he was overwhelmed by the stream of immigrants who crossed into the United States illegally just in that sector.
"It was an area that was out of control," Henry says. "There were over 100,000 aliens crossing through this area a year."
Today, Henry is assistant chief of the Border Patrol's San Diego sector. He says apprehensions here are down 95 percent, from 100,000 a year to 5,000 a year, largely because the single strand of cable marking the border was replaced by double -- and in some places, triple -- fencing.

Weird. 95% effective for San Diego back in 2006 with fencing.
It’s proven they work that isn’t even the question. In spring of 85 I visited a family friend in San Diego. The dad was head of the border patrol in that district. He took me out one night and into a watch tower. They had an infrared camera. You could watch come across by the dozens. They let em get about a mile in then round em up with a helicopter. Load em in buses and haul to detention. Feed em and next morning haul em back to Mexico. Then pick the same ones back up the next night lol
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #759
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Did we watch the same campaign the last 30 days?

It was a huge issue... it was almost the sole issue Trump went on the campaign trail with.

It worked in that he squeezed every little last drop he could out of his base.
Amazing ... so then, how come your guy, Beto O'rourke lost if The Wall was the main issue for the Democrats' winning?

You did imply that he was the new darling in Texas. And, you will agree, that Ted Cruz, is a very unpopular senator. And your guy still lost. Wow. Good call, but still, another wrong call coming from you.

Beto even raised $30 million from open borders lefties in California and New York. And still lost, despite your expert analysis.

And Beto still lost despite having the issue of The Wall in his favor -- ??
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #760
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Amazing ... so then, how come your guy, Beto O'rourke lost if The Wall was the main issue for the Democrats' winning?

You did imply that he was the new darling in Texas. And, you will agree, that Ted Cruz, is a very unpopular senator. And your guy still lost. Wow. Good call, but still, another wrong call coming from you.

Beto even raised $30 million from open borders lefties in California and New York. And still lost, despite your expert analysis.

And Beto still lost despite having the issue of The Wall in his favor -- ??
Might wanna go back on the revisionist history there boss...

Night before the election:

Quote:
If Cruz, which is still less likely IMO, loses he sure as hell isn't getting confirmed as AG.

The Senate is probably gone and most Republicans hate him anyway.
Its the ultimate form of PA flattery when you blatantly make up shit I didn't say to try and land your digs on me...

How did the red wave go?

I predicted a 235-200 House... what's it at? Just curious...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 01-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #761
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Might wanna go back on the revisionist history there boss...

Night before the election:

Its the ultimate form of PA flattery when you blatantly make up shit I didn't say to try and land your digs on me...

How did the red wave go?

I predicted a 235-200 House... what's it at? Just curious...
You"re a genius; just ask ... yourself.

You said Cruz was in trouble because Beto is a rock star. You said that or did you forget all that? Or is it you're simply in denial. Probably.

I don't need to make things up ... especially when I quote YOU.

You make things so very easy ...
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #762
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
You"re a genius; just ask ... yourself.

You said Cruz was in trouble because Beto is a rock star. You said that or did you forget all that? Or is it you're simply in denial. Probably.

I don't need to make things up ... especially when I quote YOU.

You make things so very easy ...
I said Cruz would likely win...

He did...

Thanks for playing.

When in doubt Reckless just keep making up stuff dude!

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 01-02-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #763
delayjf

Quote:
“Basically what’s happening now, is they’re being processed through Border Patrol here and then they’re bused to Pima County and Maricopa County—to get on buses to get to their final destinations,” Wilmot said. “And that’s usually in the Carolinas—either North or South Carolina—or they’re going to Florida, or they’re going to San Diego.”
I would send them all the either LA, SF, or NY. Let them foot the bill.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #764
MutuelClerk

If the Dems had any brains at all ( i know, big IF) they would play a constant loop of President Trump during the campaign saying Mexico will pay for the wall then follow that up with his recent lunch with Pelosi telling everyone the shutdown is on me. President Trump seeing that 24-7 would snap and go off.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #765
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
If the Dems had any brains at all ( i know, big IF) they would play a constant loop of President Trump during the campaign saying Mexico will pay for the wall then follow that up with his recent lunch with Pelosi telling everyone the shutdown is on me. President Trump seeing that 24-7 would snap and go off.
and the Repubs can run a loop of Pelosi and Schumer saying 'we are willing to compromise, as long as he agrees with what we voted on' ...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply