Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Can't wait. This will crazily be my first visit to Del Mar.

We supposedly have some pretty incredible box seats this year, and parking isn't a problem with Uber.

Classic is always great, the Turf is always intriguing, and the Distaff usually delivers a top notch performance as well. The Turf Mile looks to be really setting up for a dandy this year.

Always love the Sprint, and especially the Turf Sprint since madness on the tote usually plays out.

My favorite race, year in and year out that doesn't get much pub is the Dirt Mile. The '2nd tier' older males looks to have a wide open field this year with the hopeful likes of Mor Spirit, Accelerate, Battle of Midway, Practical Joke, Cupid, and maybe even Midnight Storm.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Can't wait. This will crazily be my first visit to Del Mar.

We supposedly have some pretty incredible box seats this year, and parking isn't a problem with Uber.

Classic is always great, the Turf is always intriguing, and the Distaff usually delivers a top notch performance as well. The Turf Mile looks to be really setting up for a dandy this year.

Always love the Sprint, and especially the Turf Sprint since madness on the tote usually plays out.

My favorite race, year in and year out that doesn't get much pub is the Dirt Mile. The '2nd tier' older males looks to have a wide open field this year with the hopeful likes of Mor Spirit, Accelerate, Battle of Midway, Practical Joke, Cupid, and maybe even Midnight Storm.
Uber, a cab, a limo. If you are going who the hell wants to drive! I wait til about 3 oclock to bust out of the starting gate and party. All the hard work is done! Kill it Lemon!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Uber, a cab, a limo. If you are going who the hell wants to drive! I wait til about 3 oclock to bust out of the starting gate and party. All the hard work is done! Kill it Lemon!
Take an Uber, take a cab, take a limo. Time to update the Crosby song.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
I'm more excited than I thought I might be, the Classic looks like it may come up real strong and possibly a good betting race.

I'm looking forward to the Juvenile too, the guy that trains the favorite, Mick Ruis bought and trains a bunch of horses and is doing pretty well.
Did you see Collected's last work? Visually super impressive
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Take an Uber, take a cab, take a limo. Time to update the Crosby song.
An Uber won't be any picnic at the BC, I can tell you that much from experience at the Pacific Classic. Total chaos.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #21
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
It's nice not to have to sit behind the wheel for three hours in the parking lot after the races (obviously more so for the drinkers, but the Uber or limo still has to get to the site. With traffic, they're not going to have any easier time than you are in your car, unless you're paying to have them sit there a long time. Better at least hit a Pick 3 if you're doing that.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Uber

Best (exit) strategy for the event-goer (you) is to be willing to walk 10-15min or so to exit the venue and reach the open streets. Then call the Uber for a smooth pick-up.

Uber at big events involves some logistics.

I did some part-time Uber driving at events. Can be a nightmare/comedy.

Streets immediately surrounding events are generally closed and have a security presence.

Normally the passenger calls the Uber inside the event. The Uber driver (who is either circling, or parked near the desired meet-up opening), then has to attempt to give walking-directions to an inebriated passenger. I had maybe a 50% success rate. Have to guess that new drivers and foreign drivers struggled.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
An Uber won't be any picnic at the BC, I can tell you that much from experience at the Pacific Classic. Total chaos.
Done the Uber/cab route the last 2 BCs.

Has worked great. Simply walk 5 to 10 minutes away from the hubbub and have them pick you up at that spot. Might have to walk a bit further at Del Mar this time, but I'm not crippled so not a huge deal and the extra exercise certainly never hurts anybody.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #24
dilanesp

Take the free double decker shuttle bus to the Solana Beach train station, and then uber from there....
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #25
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Take the free double decker shuttle bus to the Solana Beach train station, and then uber from there....
I wouldn't think that bus would have any easier time getting in or out than other vehicles.

What I might do (other than hang around for an extra hour or so) is walk around toward the training track and up the stairs to Via de la Valle and then to Cedros or something to call and Uber.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #26
jay68802

Just go to the beach,have a few beers enjoy the local wildlife, and wait.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Just go to the beach,have a few beers enjoy the local wildlife, and wait.
I haven't looked at post times but it wouldn't surprise me if they run until close to darkness on Saturday. They did at Santa Anita the last few times.