Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 09-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I build my own, once every 6-7 years and try not to spend more than 600.

Been working out very well. Only upgrade to old Betsy was a $100 graphics card a few years ago , that runs my 40" 4k screen + 2 others without a hiccup.

Latest and greatest is mostly hype , for 99.9% of the public.
I used to build all of my own as well. My 7yo PC I currently use was the first pre-built I ever bought (it was an Alienware Area 51).

Nowadays, you might save 100-200 building it yourself...I priced out the parts in the Corsair One and it came out to about that kind of saving if I had built it myself. I wouldn't have been able to get that kind of case, small form factor, and probably would definitely not have been able to make a machine as quiet as the reviews all say this one is, even under load.

Plus I get a 2yr warranty on the entire system, and don't have to deal with individual manufacturers if a part I built with fails.

So, weighing all this, plus the time and work involved in ordering all the parts and putting the thing together, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth saving a couple of hundred dollars to do it myself.

But I hear you...I used to enjoy building my own...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #17
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I have a Sony PlayStation I rarely use. I don’t have the dexterity in my hands anymore. Even though I think the controllers are very nice. I just suck at the games. I do like Call of Duty, but I suck.
Yup. If you ever want to get a reality check on your aging hand-eye coordination, try to play a new video game. I can't do it. Played the hell out of the old games and systems but trying to pass the puck in hockey requires origami of the hands and fingers now. I think I finally came to grips with the fact that I just waste my time trying to play the new games that aren't slow as hell or turn based.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Yup. If you ever want to get a reality check on your aging hand-eye coordination, try to play a new video game. I can't do it. Played the hell out of the old games and systems but trying to pass the puck in hockey requires origami of the hands and fingers now. I think I finally came to grips with the fact that I just waste my time trying to play the new games that aren't slow as hell or turn based.
That’s exactly right. I can do pretty well at the racing games that are basic driving, but the rest........fagettaboutit!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
AltonKelsey
Veteran

[QUOTE=PaceAdvantage;2224088]I used to build all of my own as well. My 7yo PC I currently use was the first pre-built I ever bought (it was an Alienware Area 51).

Nowadays, you might save 100-200 building it yourself..../QUOTE]

Pretty sure I've saved more than that (more like 400) when building as I usually try to buy high value components with rebates.

Failure rates these days is near zero, so I don't worry about that .

I like knowing whats in the box and that no shortcuts have been taken. Have never bought a ready made for myself (other than laptops, and the Atari line back in the day. ) and probably never will. But you never know.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

[quote=AltonKelsey;2225190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I used to build all of my own as well. My 7yo PC I currently use was the first pre-built I ever bought (it was an Alienware Area 51).

Nowadays, you might save 100-200 building it yourself..../QUOTE]

Pretty sure I've saved more than that (more like 400) when building as I usually try to buy high value components with rebates.

Failure rates these days is near zero, so I don't worry about that .

I like knowing whats in the box and that no shortcuts have been taken. Have never bought a ready made for myself (other than laptops, and the Atari line back in the day. ) and probably never will. But you never know.
Well, I can only go by the specific machine I purchased (Corsair One)...all attempts to price out the components (not including rebates, mind out), only saved me about $200...

This pre-built has received nothing but praise from all the reviews I've seen...including from sites that are pretty much dedicated to doing it yourself...

Plus it's built by Corsair, so you know the memory and cooling components they use are about as good as you can get...
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #21
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I'm sure you did your due diligence. It's also possible the diff between parts & prebuilt is lower now than it was years ago . Very likely actually.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That's the conventional wisdom...there's no doubt though that you can still save hundreds building yourself...especially if you are building a higher end machine, as most typical DIYers do...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: