Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: 2015 Commercial Program used for handicapping
JCapper 14 7.49%
Equisim 10 5.35%
HTR 21 11.23%
HSH 12 6.42%
RDSS 28 14.97%
Black Magic 17 9.09%
All-in-One 3 1.60%
Quickhorse 19 10.16%
Handifast 10 5.35%
BetMix 8 4.28%
WATT 1 0.53%
Computrak 7 3.74%
Synergism 6 0 0%
Other (Please explain below) 37 19.79%
Voters: 187. This poll is closed

Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #46
cbp
Veteran

Option 1: be your own boss. Work the hours you want. Do something few can.
Option 2: do like everyone else, work regular hours, constantly updating, marketing, and supporting your product.

Hard to believe anyone capable of 1 would opt for 2
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #47
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Betting that many races in that time period would indeed be hard work, for me anyway. And, I believe Dave said something similar not too long ago, on this forum. The betting part is what becomes hard work when you're betting that many races, back to back, trying to follow each race, look at odds, formulate bets, and place those bets, although I believe Dave's program does some of that work for him. Still, it's a tough grind sitting there race after race, for hours, every day. And, yes, it gets very boring, and very old, for me, very quickly. And my program handicaps a race in a couple of seconds, almost instantaneously when I click a race button. Still boring.
How many people out there can honestly say that their day's work isn't "boring"?

The vast majority of the people get up in the morning, get dressed, and drive in heavy traffic to get to a boring job...in order to work for an asshole boss. And they do it for FORTY YEARS!

And strolling into your study at your leisure, in your pajamas, and calling it a day whenever you feel like it...is considered so UNPLEASANT, all of a sudden?

Really? It's better to work for someone else...on someone ELSE's schedule? I just don't see it.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #48
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
How many people out there can honestly say that their day's work isn't "boring"?

The vast majority of the people get up in the morning, get dressed, and drive in heavy traffic to get to a boring job...in order to work for an asshole boss. And they do it for FORTY YEARS!

And strolling into your study at your leisure, in your pajamas, and calling it a day whenever you feel like it...is considered so UNPLEASANT, all of a sudden?

Really? It's better to work for someone else...on someone ELSE's schedule? I just don't see it.
I start my day with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, in my robe out on the porch while my computer boots up. Then I come in a start doing my thing, reading emails from clients and friends, update all my track workbooks with the previous day's race results, reanalyze the record keeping sheets for those track workbooks, and get ready to play the morning track(s), if I'm playing any morning tracks. If not I'm working in my "in work" workbooks, trying something new or making something work better or look better, etc.. Some time later, I'll get out of the house for a while, running errands, working in the yard, or vehicle maintenance, etc.. Then it's time for the evening/night races, if I'm playing any that day. If not, I'm back working in my program and doing the email thing until midnight or later. Sleep and get up and do it again.

I'm retired, so I can choose to do this, or something else, or nothing at all, it's up to me. I have a routine that works for me and keeps me going and mentally healthy. But, the gambling is still a grind, and a bore. Messing with my program allows me to let my mind go free, think out of the box, create for the fun of it. Not a bad life IMO.

But, if I was playing every track running, every day, I'd commit suicide.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #49
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp
Option 1: be your own boss. Work the hours you want. Do something few can.
Option 2: do like everyone else, work regular hours, constantly updating, marketing, and supporting your product.

Hard to believe anyone capable of 1 would opt for 2
If I had seen your post sooner...I would have deleted mine.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #50
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
If I had seen your post sooner...I would have deleted mine.
All I can say Gus, is if you haven't been there and done that, meaning create software, do all the client support, and maintenance, and also play races, and all the other stuff that life requires, you just don't know how much of a grind it can become. It's easier and more pleasant to do things the way I do them, work when I want, play when I want, and do nothing when I want, than to bust my ass gambling at every track known to man every day. I hate that stuff!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #51
thaskalos

Quote:
I start my day with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, in my robe out on the porch while my computer boots up. Then I come in a start doing my thing, reading emails from clients and friends, update all my track workbooks with the previous day's race results, reanalyze the record keeping sheets for those track workbooks, and get ready to play the morning track(s), if I'm playing any morning tracks. If not I'm working in my "in work" workbooks, trying something new or making something work better or look better, etc.. Some time later, I'll get out of the house for a while, running errands, working in the yard, or vehicle maintenance, etc.. Then it's time for the evening/night races, if I'm playing any that day. If not, I'm back working in my program and doing the email thing until midnight or later. Sleep and get up and do it again.

I'm retired, so I can choose to do this, or something else, or nothing at all, it's up to me. I have a routine that works for me and keeps me going and mentally healthy. But, the gambling is still a grind, and a bore. Messing with my program allows me to let my mind go free, think out of the box, create for the fun of it. Not a bad life IMO.

But, if I was playing every track running, every day, I'd commit suicide.
But that's just the thing; you DON'T have to play every track or every day. In fact...you don't "have" to do ANYTHING! You are your OWN boss...and no one tells you what to do.

I'm not talking about Dave, or about anyone else in particular here...but I see some "vendors" out there who suggest that they could "easily" become "professional horseplayers" if they so chose, but they don't want to go that route...not because the monetary reward wouldn't be sufficient...but because betting the horses is "just too much damn work". They could easily win big money in this game, they say...but they don't want to slave their life away in front of a computer.

As if someone was going to TIE them there...and they couldn't leave whenever they chose...or, take all the vacation time that they needed in order to "unwind".

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-21-2015 at 02:32 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #52
thaskalos

Quote:
All I can say Gus, is if you haven't been there and done that, meaning create software, do all the client support, and maintenance, and also play races, and all the other stuff that life requires, you just don't know how much of a grind it can become. It's easier and more pleasant to do things the way I do them, work when I want, play when I want, and do nothing when I want, than to bust my ass gambling at every track known to man every day. I hate that stuff!
I have no bone to pick with you, Raybo...because I believe you when you say that you "hate the gambling aspect of this game". I have never heard a horseplayer other than you express it in such a way...but I have been a gambler all my life, and I have learned to deal with the uncertainty that it exudes. And I can easily see that this lifestyle isn't for everyone.

But you are one in 10,000, IMO. The other 9,999 would give their eye teeth for a truly profitable method...and they would use it to bet for the rest of their lives, or as long as the method remained profitable...whichever came first.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
But you are one in 10,000, IMO. The other 9,999 would give their eye teeth for a truly profitable method...and they would use it to bet for the rest of their lives, or as long as the method remained profitable...whichever came first.
9,900 of them would still find a way to lose money.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #54
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
9,900 of them would still find a way to lose money.
Correct!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #55
DeltaLover

Quote:
I have no bone to pick with you, Raybo...because I believe you when you say that you "hate the gambling aspect of this game". I have never heard a horseplayer other than you express it in such a way...but I have been a gambler all my life, and I have learned to deal with the uncertainty that it exudes. And I can easily see that this lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Thask, it is obvious that whoever makes this type of claims is either not telling the truth or he is not a (real) gambler. People who try to convince us, that they view horse betting as some type of a hobbit are simply chronic losers who struggle to hide their addiction (even from themselves!) and also try to minimize their betting because of their fears!

Some of the posters here, have gone very far with their stories, claiming that they followed the game for twenty years before they started betting, were profitable for 40 out of 42 years of betting or never became broke because of gambling!

I am wondering, does anybody believe in this crap?

If someone hates the gambling aspect of the game, he can find something else to do rather than pretend to be an expert and try to lecture people who die and resurrect multiple times per day as horses are crossing the finish line!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #56
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
But that's just the thing; you DON'T have to play every track or every day. In fact...you don't "have" to do ANYTHING! You are your OWN boss...and no one tells you what to do.

I'm not talking about Dave, or about anyone else in particular here...but I see some "vendors" out there who suggest that they could "easily" become "professional horseplayers" if they so chose, but they don't want to go that route...not because the monetary reward wouldn't be sufficient...but because betting the horses is "just too much damn work". They could easily win big money in this game, they say...but they don't want to slave their life away in front of a computer.

As if someone was going to TIE them there...and they couldn't leave whenever they chose...or, take all the vacation time that they needed in order to "unwind".
my responses were based on Dave being the topic of conversation regarding this subject, and of course my own personal experiences as a program creator/race player. I have no opinion regarding anyone else out there. But, I tend to think that, just like anything else, some tell the truth and some stretch the truth, or lie outright.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #57
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Thask, it is obvious that whoever makes this type of claims is either not telling the truth or he is not a (real) gambler. People who try to convince us, that they view horse betting as some type of a hobbit are simply chronic losers who struggle to hide their addiction (even from themselves!) and also try to minimize their betting because of their fears!

Some of the posters here, have gone very far with their stories, claiming that they followed the game for twenty years before they started betting, were profitable for 40 out of 42 years of betting or never became broke because of gambling!

I am wondering, does anybody believe in this crap?

If someone hates the gambling aspect of the game, he can find something else to do rather than pretend to be an expert and try to lecture people who die and resurrect multiple times per day as horses are crossing the finish line!
Poor attempt at taking jabs at me, without mentioning my name. I personally don't give a dang what you think, but in defense of, and to clarify (if that is even needed by now) I've made in the past, whether you personally believe it or not:

I am in this game strictly because I make profit playing.

I hate "gambling", that's why I consider racing a business, in which I "invest" because that more closely reflects what I do. To me "gambling" means you are just waiting to lose, because you know the game is rigged against you. "Investing" means you have logical and proven viable reasons for expecting a positive long term return. Not just a dream, but real long term proven viability.

It is absolutely true that I studied racing for 20+ years before starting to bet seriously, while betting only twice, both times at Louisiana Downs, during that 20 year time period, allowing myself a $50 bankroll both times, win or lose. I began playing as a full time player in 2004, and except for 2005 when I did not play at all, due to stress and burnout of being forced to win in order to survive, and came back as a non-full time player, with a traditional job, and with supplemental income from race wagering being the only goal. I have been net profitable every year since.

Horse racing is not a "hobby" for me, it is a business and provides profit, otherwise I would not waste my time on it, I'd find something else to invest in.

I bet small to win large, over time, in superfecta play, and in the last 3+ years have started win betting also, using my win profits as cash flow in support of my superfecta play.

I don't particularly enjoy horse racing, but I do well despite that lack of passion for the game. That is why I worked so long and hard to automate my handicapping, to take away most of the drudgery and to prevent human error as much as possible.

I really like working in Excel, and have not used it for anything other than racing, except for a little general budgeting and record keeping. I have never taken a course or received any other professional instruction in Excel, everything I know about it was self taught and racing focused. I never used it in the 45+ years I worked in traditional jobs, or in my 8 year military service.

And, I have never referred to myself as an "expert" in anything. I just know what I'm capable of and what I'm not. I know what works for me in racing and I don't attempt to go beyond that.

There, that's it, believe it or not, but disbelieving it doesn't change any of those facts.

Last edited by raybo; 10-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #58
Secondbest

I just searched for the htr website and my anti-virus(norton) has a red caution warning.It said there are 2 threats there.Not dangerous but proceed with caution.The threats were in 2 places the demo and the software.
The threats are called Trojan.Gen.SMH.2 same name for both.
Do any of the htr users here have any problems with this?
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #59
Bill the Pick

Quickhorse

mornin' guys,
Does Quickhorse allow downloading of horses' PP's?
Bill
Bill the Pick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #60
aaron

Quote:
Poor attempt at taking jabs at me, without mentioning my name. I personally don't give a dang what you think, but in defense of, and to clarify (if that is even needed by now) I've made in the past, whether you personally believe it or not:

I am in this game strictly because I make profit playing.

I hate "gambling", that's why I consider racing a business, in which I "invest" because that more closely reflects what I do. To me "gambling" means you are just waiting to lose, because you know the game is rigged against you. "Investing" means you have logical and proven viable reasons for expecting a positive long term return. Not just a dream, but real long term proven viability.

It is absolutely true that I studied racing for 20+ years before starting to bet seriously, while betting only twice, both times at Louisiana Downs, during that 20 year time period, allowing myself a $50 bankroll both times, win or lose. I began playing as a full time player in 2004, and except for 2005 when I did not play at all, due to stress and burnout of being forced to win in order to survive, and came back as a non-full time player, with a traditional job, and with supplemental income from race wagering being the only goal. I have been net profitable every year since.

Horse racing is not a "hobby" for me, it is a business and provides profit, otherwise I would not waste my time on it, I'd find something else to invest in.

I bet small to win large, over time, in superfecta play, and in the last 3+ years have started win betting also, using my win profits as cash flow in support of my superfecta play.

I don't particularly enjoy horse racing, but I do well despite that lack of passion for the game. That is why I worked so long and hard to automate my handicapping, to take away most of the drudgery and to prevent human error as much as possible.

I really like working in Excel, and have not used it for anything other than racing, except for a little general budgeting and record keeping. I have never taken a course or received any other professional instruction in Excel, everything I know about it was self taught and racing focused. I never used it in the 45+ years I worked in traditional jobs, or in my 8 year military service.

And, I have never referred to myself as an "expert" in anything. I just know what I'm capable of and what I'm not. I know what works for me in racing and I don't attempt to go beyond that.

There, that's it, believe it or not, but disbelieving it doesn't change any of those facts.
This might be the best answer,I have seen on this or any other horse racing website.You are not the only person,I know who feels the way you feel. Certain people who profit from betting on horse racing,see the game as nothing more than an income generator. They don't care about who won any of the big races. In horse race betting,there is a place for many diverse opinions and methods,and I applaud anyone who makes a profit,no matter how or why,they play the game.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply