Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #61
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
One of the more interesting reforms that PETA (I know, I know) has proposed every so often is just making all vet records of racehorses public. Obviously, they think that it might both stop some doping and also some running of unsound horses, but it could also be helpful to bettors as well.
..and people that claim horses.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #62
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
..and people that claim horses.
Yep.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #63
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
One of the more interesting reforms that PETA (I know, I know) has proposed every so often is just making all vet records of racehorses public. Obviously, they think that it might both stop some doping and also some running of unsound horses, but it could also be helpful to bettors as well.
Doing this could also be dangerous because, You can't tell me these records would be 100% honest.
There will never be a sure way system to really know what you are buying though the claim box or at sales of any age.
Where there is a buck to be made, It will be made.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #64
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
this game has turned out to be to complex for me!.

i was going to buy a 4 yo never started Florida Bred with 2 partners that toed in. a trainer wants $100 a day in Gulfstream plus all the extras. this post made up my mind. i don't want any part of ownership.
It is impossible to compete where the costs are worth more then the horse,
Yep keep your money in your pocket and a Big Hello to you
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #65
Bustin Stones

At $100/day, a horse that races 6 times per year in 8 horse fields has to run in $50,000 purses just to cover the trainer fees.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #66
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
At $100/day, a horse that races 6 times per year in 8 horse fields has to run in $50,000 purses just to cover the trainer fees.
you are right, I'm not going to win anyway. and i came to the realization that the game doesn't need or want me in it. the next step is to stop betting, they actually want you to do that and keep your mouth shut so that you can keep the CAW going.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #67
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing View Post
Doing this could also be dangerous because, You can't tell me these records would be 100% honest.
There will never be a sure way system to really know what you are buying though the claim box or at sales of any age.
Where there is a buck to be made, It will be made.
I am sure it's possible to make them honest. The most honest would just be to have the government or the tracks employ the vets and prohibit private veterinarians from having access to racehorses. But even with private vets, you could have barn surveillance, random checks, etc.

Yes, all this is unthinkable. But part of what's eventually going to save our sport (if it gets saved) is to make the unthinkable thinkable.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #68
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I am sure it's possible to make them honest. The most honest would just be to have the government or the tracks employ the vets and prohibit private veterinarians from having access to racehorses. But even with private vets, you could have barn surveillance, random checks, etc.

Yes, all this is unthinkable. But part of what's eventually going to save our sport (if it gets saved) is to make the unthinkable thinkable.
if you have surveillance and vets that are 'public' treating horses for the controlling management rather than the trainers/owners, then you still need honest vets (and honest management). At least you're suggestion would get public vets some wild vacations sponsored by the biggest most power-hungry Machiavellian owners.

We could build 'Biosphere 3' and house the public vets in a glass house to prevent them from being influenced. Or we could build robot vets and house the programmers in glass for surveillance.

cat is out of the bag. every sport uses PEDs. We need better perception of integrity in our broadcast. We need the public to believe it's mostly clean, we need the star trainers and owners and jockeys to be a 'class act' and not douchebags who push overages on minor banned meds and give barn piss or jimson weed, or barnsBalm excuses with a smirk. Guys need to step up the integrity propaganda. We need the cheating and enhancing to continue to be incentivized to win (rather than betting coups with stiffing).

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-25-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #69
AndyC

Quote:

Saving our sport has zero to do with stopping the doping of horses.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #70
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #71
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I think doping hurts us a lot.

The issue isn't what PETA thinks of us. It's what normies think of us. Normies whose predecessors may have gone to the track back in the day, but who have now become more concerned with animal cruelty issues.

And doping is a double whammy- it both reminds people horse racing is full of corrupt cheaters and anglers (a reputation we've always had, all the way back to the days when Damon Runyan used to write about horse racing), AND is a serious animal welfare issue in a way that isn't present in other sports. Steroids in baseball is people hurting themselves; doping horses is people hurting horses. And that just plays very differently, politically.

Honestly, the long term survival of this sport is contingent on a serious commitment to get ALL the doping out of the sport, INCLUDING the game playing on "therapeutic medications".
Old 02-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #72
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

Say what
Old 02-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #73
AndyC

Quote:
I think doping hurts us a lot.

The issue isn't what PETA thinks of us. It's what normies think of us. Normies whose predecessors may have gone to the track back in the day, but who have now become more concerned with animal cruelty issues.

And doping is a double whammy- it both reminds people horse racing is full of corrupt cheaters and anglers (a reputation we've always had, all the way back to the days when Damon Runyan used to write about horse racing), AND is a serious animal welfare issue in a way that isn't present in other sports. Steroids in baseball is people hurting themselves; doping horses is people hurting horses. And that just plays very differently, politically.

Honestly, the long term survival of this sport is contingent on a serious commitment to get ALL the doping out of the sport, INCLUDING the game playing on "therapeutic medications".

To be clear, I am completely against anything any drugs given to horses that would do them harm. Efforts should be made to prevent any abuse of horses.

If all doping of horses stopped today and all races were run clean, would racing be "saved"? Absolutely not. New players would not flock to the races because they are drug-free. The game does not suddenly become easier for all handicappers resulting in massive increases in handle. Racing is a gambling game that in its current form simply cannot compete with the myriad of other gambling opportunities available today.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #74
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Say what
I imagine the argument is that horse racing is losing popularity because it's an unattractive gambling option compared to the many others out there. Cleaning up all cheating is great but doesn't change that essential problem.

To play devil's advocate, people didn't think horse racing was "clean" back when the tracks were packed, and people don't think the major sports are "clean" now but don't care because they like watching and betting on them.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #75
dilanesp

He's suing to get the Churchill suspension overturned. Chances of success have got to be less than 10%, and even if he wins, he would still need to get the KHRC ruling overturned as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bob-baf...52461?mod=e2tw