Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-13-2022, 05:11 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 46,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
70,000 people were packed into SoFi Sunday for the Raiders-Chargers. I wouldn't overstate this issue.
Yeah but that was mostly Raiders fans. They are a different breed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #32
Cuffdaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
70,000 people were packed into SoFi Sunday for the Raiders-Chargers. I wouldn't overstate this issue.
Comparing the heart of Los Angeles for the NFL and San Diego for horse racing is not a good comparison.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #33
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Comparing the heart of Los Angeles for the NFL and San Diego for horse racing is not a good comparison.
The Padres have had a bunch of sellouts this year.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #34
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
From what I heard Del Mar isn't pushing attendance because they want the fans that show up to have a great experience. If you pack as many people in and they don't come back you lose a customer for life. So they will take less fans coming into the place but have them keep coming back as repeat customers.
there was also no distinction between the clubhouse and the GA section this year.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 12:28 AM   #35
Cuffdaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Padres have had a bunch of sellouts this year.
The MLB, another sport with a huge following compared to Horse Racing.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 01:59 AM   #36
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
The MLB, another sport with a huge following compared to Horse Racing.
There was a time not all that long ago when Del Mar's average attendance exceeded the Padres, especially if you didn't count the no-shows (this is deep in the weeds but MLB used to announce actual attendance but now announces tickets sold).

Del Mar, in other words, HAD a huge following. It has lost it. These attendance numbers are bad news for the sport in California.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #37
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Del Mar, in other words, HAD a huge following. It has lost it. These attendance numbers are bad news for the sport in California.
I love CA racing when it's being done right. I thought DMR had a terrific meet. Part of me hopes the sport recovers fully there and does very well. But the more analytical part of me thinks the politics are too hostile for that to happen. The long term prognosis is not good.
__________________
"Unlearning is the highest form of learning"
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #38
Cuffdaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
There was a time not all that long ago when Del Mar's average attendance exceeded the Padres, especially if you didn't count the no-shows (this is deep in the weeds but MLB used to announce actual attendance but now announces tickets sold).

Del Mar, in other words, HAD a huge following. It has lost it. These attendance numbers are bad news for the sport in California.
Prior to ADW's they certainly did, it was much different times. I agree that horse racing had done very little to change their mindset to draw more crowds. The concert series at Del Mar was a good draw.

The Padres moved to downtown and have lots of draw for all fans with many resteraunts, bars, and entertainment within walking distance of the stadium.

Just feel it is a bad comparison to use attendance numbers from the NFL and MLB to prove that racing is dead in California.

Last edited by Cuffdaddy; 09-14-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #39
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Prior to ADW's they certainly did, it was much different times.
Del Mar's attendance is way down even from numbers it put up in the internet wagering era.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #40
Cuffdaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Del Mar's attendance is way down even from numbers it put up in the internet wagering era.
Just not buying you pointing to attendance to make a point that California racing is dead or close to death. You used the NFL and MLB numbers to bolster your point, why not include World Cup Soccer attendance numbers as well.

Wagering dollars are huge, attendance will not be the reason or barometer for the demise of racing in So Cal.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #41
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Just not buying you pointing to attendance to make a point that California racing is dead or close to death. You used the NFL and MLB numbers to bolster your point, why not include World Cup Soccer attendance numbers as well.

Wagering dollars are huge, attendance will not be the reason or barometer for the demise of racing in So Cal.
Del Mar is specifically an attendance driven track. Why race at Del Mar rather than, say, holding the races in a low population, low rent area? The answer is because Del Mar is a facility designed to draw live attendance. It's a vacation track, like Oaklawn, Monmouth, or especially Saratoga (the track that it gets compared to most).

And drawing live attendance to facilities like Del Mar is important because these tend to be new fans. Del Mar crowds always were skewed towards the young. Lots of young women having a good time drinking margaritas and wearing summer dresses.

If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #42
Cuffdaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 554
If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.[/QUOTE]

They stopped the big concert draw coming off Covid restrictions. That is a huge factor when you are looking at the last 3 seasons, those events draw the young crowds and it spilled over to regular days. Marketing is a gigantic factor and there is way more to do here during those summer months of perfect beach weather.

Been attending the So Cal circuit since the late 70's. Short term attendance numbers are not telling any story.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #43
AndyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Del Mar is specifically an attendance driven track. Why race at Del Mar rather than, say, holding the races in a low population, low rent area? The answer is because Del Mar is a facility designed to draw live attendance. It's a vacation track, like Oaklawn, Monmouth, or especially Saratoga (the track that it gets compared to most).

And drawing live attendance to facilities like Del Mar is important because these tend to be new fans. Del Mar crowds always were skewed towards the young. Lots of young women having a good time drinking margaritas and wearing summer dresses.

If Del Mar is unable to draw live attendance anymore, that is extremely bad for the future of California racing because it means that we are unable to attract people to come to the races anymore, even at what may be the most beautiful racetrack in America.



Agreed. It's an inconvenient truth about CA racing.
__________________
So many people these days are too judgemental. I can tell just by looking at them.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #44
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Agreed. It's an inconvenient truth about CA racing.
It's not that they're unable to get bodies there. They don't want to spend the marketing money to do it. Like I said previously they are content with 10k or so on weekends
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #45
Al Gobbi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I love CA racing when it's being done right. I thought DMR had a terrific meet. Part of me hopes the sport recovers fully there and does very well. But the more analytical part of me thinks the politics are too hostile for that to happen. The long term prognosis is not good.
I am not sure California racing can survive lone term unless some drastic changes occur, even for the satisfaction of political/animal rights groups.

The product in Northern California (including the fairs) is abysmal now, Los Al racing stinks and Santa Anita races for too long now.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.