Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #31
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Having been through this early on, I am now notified of any new track codes Before importing any new info, and if I am not lazy at the moment, I will check what is going on so I can make changes to the track code in software.
Who notifies you and how far in advance are you notified?
Old 08-28-2022, 05:12 AM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Who notifies you and how far in advance are you notified?
I would guess if you know all the codes and program them in, you can check against the list for new ones and create an alert when one is read in that is not on your list.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #33
vegasone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I would guess if you know all the codes and program them in, you can check against the list for new ones and create an alert when one is read in that is not on your list.

Correct. Numerous checkpoints in the software check to make sure the track code exists and stops if they don’t. They are added to the list and then modified by the software to match any previous track code if they are referring to an existing track code for consistency.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #34
o_crunk

Quote:
Correct. Numerous checkpoints in the software check to make sure the track code exists and stops if they don’t. They are added to the list and then modified by the software to match any previous track code if they are referring to an existing track code for consistency.
That's correct and an example of why this is so dumb. Equibase is going to send BAQ or MDD and everybody is going to change it back to AQU and MD, when Equibase could simply not change it at all.

And I would point out that Equibase has numerous other ways of handling this nonsense so that the developers won't have to overwrite their RDS sync system.

But there is no real development community around Equibase data. It's a one way street of stupid.
o_crunk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2022, 09:13 AM   #35
MJC922

The reason why that process doesn't work in my case is the result charts are the only source for my data. It's very organic. What most people do with their software is they bring in let's say 'today's' card and then do something with it, in other words the source data they 'need' (the paceline let's say for example) with the times is already going to be in there. There's no chance of actually missing lines because the ball is in someone else's court. In that case it's much easier to flag.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #36
ranchwest

Quote:
It's easy to check for new codes. But, how would you know that a new code corresponds to an old code? There's nothing there to make that correlation.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:48 PM   #37
vegasone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
It's easy to check for new codes. But, how would you know that a new code corresponds to an old code? There's nothing there to make that correlation.
Wave a magic wand?

Really, I didn’t think it would be necessary to list each step. Of COURSE it takes a little manual effort to find the code, hence the lazy part. Eventually you have to find out what happened. Here and google will find the answer.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #38
Trackjudge

Track Codes

For all you data mavens, if your data supplier does not use the old standard track identifier, ask them if they can do this, otherwise you will have to write a conversion routine on data import for both today's races and pp lines as well.
The problem is when obscure tracks change their codes and you are unaware, and have to retrospectively change codes after the fact in your database.

I agree with the concept of error checking the imported data to see if the track id matches up with your database of known tracks. This is an extra step which takes time to write and debug, but saves time later as the user is notified immediately when new tracks, or bad data shows up.

The other issue is when tracks significantly change their surface and geometry, as happened at Aqueduct in the past few years.

You have to write code to treat AQU 6F races before and after the changeover date as a different courses.

Last edited by Trackjudge; 08-30-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Trackjudge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply