Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 01-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Saturday, January 16

Preface: “The Rains of Ranchipur” have ended, yet the question remains: “How much moisture remains on the ‘Big M’ oval?”

As I sit here in my not-so-overly-ostentatious “computer room” (it doubles as a bedroom), I’m pondering, weak and weary, this evening’s “Big M” 15-race card. First post: 6 p.m.

I’ve read both Meadowlands’ oddsmaker Dave Brower’s and track announcer Ken Warkentin’s race selections. As is usually the case, I often concur; yet there are what I deem “differences of opinion.” That’s what makes harness racing.

I’ll finish my handicapping and then watch the Packers vs. Rams game. I’m gonna the lay the – 6.5 and take “The Pack.” What will the frigid temps at Lambeau do to Jared Goff’s (injured thumb) ability to throw the football? If I’m the Packers, I’d key on the stopping the Rams’ running-game and dare Goff to throw.

Now, back to the matter at hand. I’ve handicapped the first five races, the .20-cent Pick 5. Good Luck!

Race One:

In the opener, a trotting event, I’ve landed on the 7 SOME CHAPTER. This Chapter Seven-bred has been the model of consistency This 4 YO has been either 1st or 2nd in his last several races. This Cantab Hall-bred has faced better than most of these. Further, this bay gelding has solid “connections”: “DD,” Dexter Dunn is in the bike; Anette Lorentzon trains. Look for Some Chapter to be “out and going” when the wings retract. Moving right along, I see the “rail” horse, 1 GODSPELL HALL is, in my opinion, the main threat. This Conway Hall-bred defeated slightly weaker in his last. If there’s a “fly in the ointment,” it is that this Lindy Lane-bred has occasionally “danced” (broken stride). T. Mac reprises for trainer Nifty Norman. 3 SWAN FOR ALL is what I call: “a sleeper.” This Yankee Glide-bred horse won his last. What makes his win all the more impressive is that it came from an outside post. “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, is again in the sulky for trainer Dylan Davis. 4 IT AINT THE WHISKY rounds out my first-race selections. This Michael Fiumenero trainee won his last, albeit against weaker; yet in his current solid form, this Andover Hall-bred is capable of being part of an exotic. G. Nap is in the bike.

Race Two:

In this Dr. Martin Luther King Remembrance Pace that features all African American drivers I’ve selected 3 CANDELL. In harness racing (as in life) position can mean everything, and this Bettor’s Delight-bred has an excellent starting post, particularly when you consider, in my opinion, that his two main rivals have drawn outside starting posts. This [B]7 YO won his last at Yonkers. Do I hear the word “repeat”? Speaking of his rivals. 9 LET’S FOAL AROUND gets my attention despite his outside post. Chad Washington is this 10 YO Artiscape-bred gelding’s pilot. Washington has finished 2nd in the latest two editions of this race. This Admirals Galley-bred is owned and trained by William Bena. Then there’s the extreme outside horse in the field, 10 RUFO. He’s piloted by Montrell Teague (Remember: Wiggle It Jiggleit)? Teague is the most experienced driver (he won this race last year) in this group; yet he has to overcome his outsidepost. Julius Czermann Jr. trains. Then there’s 6 CRUZING HILL. This Art Major-bred has beenand “up-and-down” kinda horse. If this Dawn Anderson-trainee runs the kind of race he’s capable of running, he should hit the board. Mark Sheridan is in the bike.

Race Three:

I’ve opted for 2 DEALER’S TABLE. This American Ideal-bred ran a solid race upon his return to “The Big M” from Harrah’s Philadelphia. Even though there was a “lay-off,” this Quik Pulse Mindale-bred didn’t miss a beat. This 5 YO now draws inside. A fact that should enhance this guy’s chances of gracing the Meadowlands winner’s circle. “Monsieur Quebecois,” Simon Allard, reprises the drive for the “Cullipher Crew.” 3 ON ACCIDENT is Dexter Dunn’s choice. Admittedly showed little in his last, but there is room for improvement. Will need the trip. Tim Lancaster part-owns and trains. Call this next pick “a walk on the wild side.” I’m going “outside” with 9 HE’S ELECTRIC. My thinking is that “if” the early speed should “tie up,” this 6 YO Rocknroll Heaven-bred should be around to pick up the pieces. The P.E.I. reinsman, Mark MacDonald, is “in the seat” for trainer Mark Ford. Then there’s “the logical,” 6 ALBERGO HANOVER. This 6 YO may need one more “tightener.” Then again… I admit that this Joe Bongiorno-piloted gelding is most capable of hitting the board. Jenn Bongiorno trains.

Race Four:

6 SWEET N FAST N was closing fastest off all in his last. His finished 3rd, only a half-length off the winner. Any slight improvement… T. Mac reprises the drive for trainer Steve Brabrook. 7 PRIMO GIOVANNI does move “outside.” Yet I believe if he gets the trip, this Big Bad John-bred is capable of contending. This 8 YO did face better at Hoosier. Le Frelon Vert, Yannick Gingras, is in the bike for trainer Paul Blumenfeld. 2 THNDRFRMTHETHRON draws a good starting post and retains the services of Dexter Dunn. That alone makes this Auckland Reactor N-bred a “contendah.” This 7 YO won his last against somewhat weaker; yet he’s most capable of hitting the tote. Finally, 9 MAJOR CAMBY does again draw”outside,” yet this Cam Fella-bred has shown “flashes.” If he can find “live cover.” The Ontario native, Scott Zeron, is in the sulky.

Race Five:

8 TULHURSTSANTANNA gets my nod in the final leg of the Pick 5. This Santanna Blue Chip-bred has faced better. Can he overcome the outside post? This 8 YO needed his last; he should be sharper this time around. A. Mac reprises the drive for trainer Andrew Harris. 5 GIVENUPDREAMING ships across the Hudson from Yonkers. This 10 YO was last seen finishing 3rd. In his current solid form, this Jenna’s Beach Boy-bred can’t be ignored. The “Kentucky Wildcat,” Corey Callahan, is in the bike for trainer Jimmy Nickerson. 1 PRICE HANOVER draws the rail after an acclimating mile after shipping in from Dover Downs. I see room for improvement. G. NAP for trainer Tom Cancelliere. 6 BANK SEA is another horse that figures. This horse did nothing at Freehold in his last, yet prior to that Art Major-bred won at Yonkers. “DD” is in the bike for trainer Juan Cano.

Other picks, later.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Teach

Race Six:
3 Mindtrip
5 Respect Our Flag
4 Semi Tough
8 Heza Real Diamond

Race Seven:
9 No Ordinary Man
5 American Boy N
1 Warrawee Unique
3 Incredible Shark

Race Eight:
6 Stonedust
4 Rootin Tootin
1 Ollie’s Z Tam
5 Lachie Maguire N

Race Nine:
9 Vettel N
8 De Los Cielos Deo
5 Rockin The Aces
1 Shnitzledosomethin

Race Ten:
6 Always and Again
3 Sailboat Hanover
5 My Pal Joe
8 Sweet Truth

Race Eleven:
5 Tymal Peacemaker
1 Becher’s Brook A
2 Good Rockin
8 Twin B Tuffenuff

Race Twelve:
8 Fox Valley Nemitz
7 Pokerface Bluechip
6 Western Redhot
4 Watchmeneighneigh

Race Thirteen:

Race Fourteen:

Race Fifteen:

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: