Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #6541
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
... superficial resemblances.
Superficial resemblances?
  • Born on December 25th.
  • Born of a virgin.
  • Twelve disciples.
  • Crucified.
  • Son of a god.
  • Substitutionary punishment.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #6542
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Superficial resemblances?
  • Born on December 25th.
  • Born of a virgin.
  • Twelve disciples.
  • Crucified.
  • Son of a god.
  • Substitutionary punishment.
Yup, superficial. And much of it is made up. Research it. A lot of Christians sites out there debunk the myths.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 AM   #6543
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yup, superficial.
So is the Bible.

Quote:
And much of it is made up.
Again, so is the Bible.

Quote:
Research it.
I have. Do you think I pulled these things out of thin air. Do you want me to give you my sources?

Quote:
A lot of Christians sites out there claim to debunk the myths.
FTFY! I would be surprised if there were no such sites. By the way, merely making a claim or presenting some thin argument does not add up to debunking.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #6544
boxcar

Quote:
So is the Bible.

Again, so is the Bible.

I have. Do you think I pulled these things out of thin air. Do you want me to give you my sources?

FTFY! I would be surprised if there were no such sites. By the way, merely making a claim or presenting some thin argument does not add up to debunking.
And by the way, "merely making a claim or presenting some thin argument" does not add up to proving that some proposition is true.

Here are the two links I posted a year or two ago to debunk the myths.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apco...10&article=186

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apco...10&article=609
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #6545
Actor
Librocubicularist

From part I
Quote:
Christians need to recognize as an undeniable fact—a fact confirmed by mythology, history, and even early Christian apologists—that ancient documents reveal that the story of Christ is not the first story ever told of a virgin-born, crucified, resurrected, miracle-working savior-god who supposedly died for the sins of humanity. These documents further reveal that many of Christ’s teachings can be gleaned—at times almost verbatim—from sources that were in circulation hundreds or thousands of years before Jesus was born. Early apologists acknowledged these facts because they were, and are, quite indisputable.
Quote:
If one accepts a naturalistic and evolutionary account of the origin of religion, he will believe that Christianity can be explained naturally.
Quote:
Those who believe that the Universe and life within it evolved in a purely naturalistic fashion likewise must find a totally naturalistic cause for every facet of life. Religion itself is one of those facets...
For such an explanation I recommend you read Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #6546
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And by the way, "merely making a claim or presenting some thin argument" does not add up to proving that some proposition is true.
Most religious arguments are quite thin.

Quote:
Here are the two links I posted a year or two ago to debunk the myths.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apco...10&article=186

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apco...10&article=609
I have read the first. (Interesting read.) Unfortunately I have other obligations which force me to delay reading the second. Perhaps tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #6547
boxcar

Quote:
Most religious arguments are quite thin.

I have read the first. (Interesting read.) Unfortunately I have other obligations which force me to delay reading the second. Perhaps tomorrow.
Actually, skeptics' arguments against the bible are paper thin.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #6548
Actor
Librocubicularist

From part II
Quote:
One important fact that cannot be ignored is that Jesus is the only historical figure Who fulfills the criteria necessary to justify, sanctify, and redeem mankind. No human’s creative mind concocted the narrative of Jesus of Nazareth. Human eyes saw Him, and human ears heard Him. He walked and talked—lived and loved—on the streets of real cities and in the houses of real people. His life is the only life of any “savior-god” that can be (and has been) thoroughly documented.
The big lie of this paragraph, indeed of Christianity in general, is that the life of Jesus has not been thoroughly documented. It has not! We've been through that before. Compare this to Alexander, Caesar, Antony, Cleopatra, Ptolemy, et al, whose lives have been documented by dozens, if not hundreds, of authors.

Quote:
Therefore, the story of Jesus Christ does not occupy a place amidst the pages of Greek mythology or ancient religious legend.
Fallacy of Special Pleading! Standards that apply to others do not apply to you.

Last edited by Actor; 01-10-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #6549
boxcar

Quote:
From part II
The big lie of this paragraph, indeed of Christianity in general, is that the life of Jesus has not been thoroughly documented. It has not! We've been through that before. Compare this to Alexander, Caesar, Antony, Cleopatra, Ptolemy, et al, whose lives have been documented by dozens, if not hundreds, of authors.
What had to known about the Person, Life and Ministry of Jesus was indeed "thoroughly documented", preserved and passed on to mankind.

Quote:
Fallacy of Special Pleading! Standards that apply to others do not apply to you.
Give me one such example.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #6550
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
What had to known about the Person, Life and Ministry of Jesus was indeed "thoroughly documented", preserved and passed on to mankind.
Go back and correct the grammar of this sentence.

Quote:
I gave you an example. If you don't like it that's not my problem.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #6551
boxcar

Quote:

You gave me no example. Scripture has provided mankind with everything we need to know about God's salvation, which of course includes the person, life and ministry of Christ.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #6552
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You gave me no example. Scripture has provided mankind with everything we need to know about God's salvation, which of course includes the person, life and ministry of Christ.
How many other religions say the same thing about their god?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #6553
boxcar

Quote:
How many other religions say the same thing about their god?
You don't know? NONE! Did any of your mythical gods claim to be the savior of mankind?

P.S. The bible does claim that God, in his revelation, has given everything man needs to be saved.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #6554
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You don't know? NONE!
How do you know? Have you researched all of them? The burden of proof is yours.

Quote:
Did any of your mythical gods claim to be the savior of mankind?
Do any other religions teach that mankind needs saving?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #6555
boxcar

Quote:
How do you know? Have you researched all of them? The burden of proof is yours.
You made the claim by asking a rhetorical question. So the burden of proof is yours. I know what the bible claims, whereas you do not. Not only that but you also don't know if any other religion claims what the bible specifically claims about the sufficiency of scripture regarding salvation.

Quote:
Do any other religions teach that mankind needs saving?
Wrong question. Do any other religions teach that mankind is saved solely by God's grace through faith -- and that even that faith is a gift from God?