Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
riskman

I live in NYC between the Throgs Neck and Whitstone Bridge about 2 blocks from the water. The main storm water surge will be between 10pm tonight and 2am this morning. Mostly a lot of wind at this point. Tonight will have the potential for substantial damage. Most of my friends who live near the water have evacuated. Very frustrating just waiting for the worst, but I have been through this before. Thanks for everyone's concern on the board.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
lsbets

The police went to my in laws house last night to get a roll of who is staying. They are a block outside of the mandatory evacuation, and are not leaving.

As I told my wife, if the police come to get a count of who is still there, you should take that as a sign to leave.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
What happens if NY loses power and PA gets closed down?[/url]
PA, the website, isn't in NY...

The PA website is actually in PA the state, which is kind of appropriate...Pittsburgh, PA to be exact...which should avoid this storm since that's in the far western part of the state...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
PA, the website, isn't in NY...

The PA website is actually in PA the state, which is kind of appropriate...Pittsburgh, PA to be exact...which should avoid this storm since that's in the far western part of the state...
PA the state would not be a bad place for PA the Admin to be this week too! Stay safe and make sure you're well stocked with beer (and power backup for the fridge!)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
This one is so large, it's expected to hit Toronto with 60 mph winds and is rated up against the all time disaster storm for TO: Hurricane Hazel.

I remember Hazel - I was a 3 yo and I had missed the Derby that year due to tonsillitis.

Scared the hell of me at the time! Not to kind the tress of Shortsville, NY either.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
bigmack

Best question by one of the MANY ditzes over @ CNNNN hitherto - Of the evacuees you've seen, how nervous do they look?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Wagergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Best question by one of the MANY ditzes over @ CNNNN hitherto - Of the evacuees you've seen, how nervous do they look?
Or the little weathergirl that looks like she might weigh a buck-o-two, holding on to a ricketty old fence while the wind blows her around. Poor thing looks like she is about to take flight!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I was just outside...love being out in weather like this...again, not very much rain here on Long Island...lots of wind though...don't know if it's as windy as it was with Irene, but it's getting close
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
DeltaLover

Here in Ozone is very windy... Streets are empty... Worse than this is that NYRA has closed down even their site and we cannot bet even through the Internet..

Maybe I should revive my Twin Spires account although not sure if it is worth it for a day or two....
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
HUSKER55

Just curious, what are the predictions about the subways and such. if water gets down there into the electrics I would think there could be some real consequences down the road. How protected are they?

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
riskman

Wind picking up here. Appears to be around 65 mph. Several trees down on the street where I live. Have a tree in the front and back of my house.Hope they hold. Lights flicking on and off. Storm now moving faster according to revised forecasts. Robo calls being made to residents advising power will be shut down and telling everyone to unplug major appliances to prevent surge when power restored. The worst is yet to come in the next few hours.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I just read that the sentrys guarding the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier will be at their posts throughout the storm, as they have been for decades.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
HUSKER55

got to admit, that is solid class regardless on which side of the aisle you are on!

thanks for the post!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

My brother and his wife are stuck in Olrando, can't fly back home to NH. OTOH not a bad place to be stuck.

Chicago even has warnings for high winds as large waves along Lake Michigan for late tonight and into tomrrow. Supposedly 16' to 20'. That's one serious storm to the east you're facing! Thinking about all of you out there!
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
cj's dad

Heavy rain and very windy here. It's starting.

The mayor is stating that other than emergency vehicles and essential personnel vehicular traffic will be halted tomorrow.