Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #46
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm not sure how it worked this year, but last year TVG had very few people on site. Were they live on track this year?
They were at the Brig, at least the two main hosts.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #47
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
I don't think Simon Bray & Kurt Hoover would tell people to come out if they knew they couldn't get in TVG is pretty tied in to Dmr On track all meets It wasn't like ass clown Schrupp was involved. Personally I could care less if they had 50 people or 50,000 BC my least favorite day of racing
Well they weren’t even on-site they were at the Brigantine restaurant (The Brig) up by the Amtrak tracks
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #48
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The BC was a great experience. They screwed up the remote parking (management gave me a parking pass on site for Saturday after I complained about it), but the weather was great, Del Mar is beautiful, and there were no crowds and no lines. Saturday was a wild day of upsets and Gun Runner is the best horse in America, a legitimate champion who turned back Collected fair and square.

But it wasn't a success. Frankly, it was embarrassing to see so few people there. Belmont once had 39,000, but NYRA had an excuse-the weather was awful that day. I could barely stand to sit out in the grandstand for 2 minutes to watch the race that day. Del Mar had no excuse for the tiny crowd, and it is clear they are sensitive about this, because they are releasing inflated attendance claims.

I know there are debates about site selection, but if you are going to come to Southern California, Santa Anita is the place to be. Last year it was NUTS on BC Saturday. Del Mar is nuts on opening day in the summer. This was more of an afterthought.
That's strange because NBCSN commentators made several comments about the huge crowds, I believe they said elbow to elbow at one point. Another time an owner or trainer said they couldn't get to the windows to bet their 66-1 longshot winner in the one race. With that said, the track(especially the turf course) & facilities looked beautiful when comparing it to some of our tracks.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbaygent View Post
Well they weren’t even on-site they were at the Brigantine restaurant (The Brig) up by the Amtrak tracks
That is what I was getting at, BC doesn't let them broadcast on site best I can figure.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #50
Dtom80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The infield was not packed. You should have looked closer. Several areas were filled up with hospitality tents and premium seating, which was half full. The rest of the infield was more full than usual but that's because the patrons had less space.

The apron was empty FFS! When is the apron ever empty on a big day at Del Mar?
I was in the Infield- somewhere around 1 it was crowded. Prior to that I thought the track did an excellent job of opening up space that they normally keep closed in season. At 10-11am I was thinking wow there will be plenty of space here- not the case at all. They had a ton of community involvement with restuarants- the food choices in season are typically awful. I think the out of towners I spoke to really enjoyed the site and being close to SD. The weather was perfect Saturday

Overall I thought they did a great job. The bus to satellite parking could have been figured out a bit better took us nearly an hour and fifteen minutes to wait/load and then leave the lot.
Dtom80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #51
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
They set a record on track handle and overall handle was outstanding. It was a big success.
Bob,

Totally agree. Here we had 2 days of what I deem "fair racing" from a gambler's standpoint mixed with beautiful weather. The classic was won by the best horse and the place and show horses figured.

I had a few live plays and cashed a few tickets but feel all gamblers felt that they really had fair chances.

I truly believe they will return to Delmar. Having been to the first one at HP and attending SA for others I feel DM is the best place on the west coast for the BC.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #52
LemonSoupKid

Beautiful weather???

Today, maybe
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #53
bisket

The tickets were sold out in May. I got 2 on Stub Hub in August for trackside general admission and had to pay 300$ for each ticket. Lol I'm a union construction worker and the job I was on had some issues and laid everyone off. I tried to unload my tickets and ended up selling them a week before the event for the gate price. I just think it was a lot of corporate and Hollywood types that bought tickets, but didn't go. I have a few friends in California racing and I really wanted to make the trip. I like to surf and the beach and the track was something I was looking forward too. I like the Cup because I don't have to deal with the crowds. I'm a Baltimore boy and the tracks in California are excellent venues. Lol worst part is my business agent called with a job last Thursday. Ha Ha I wish I went through with the trip. I was at Santa Anita in 2013 and surfed San Onfre in San Clemente. Tons of fun!! At the Cup I can walk right up to the window and place my bet. That's the way I like it. I can stand in the walking ring and watch the runners get saddled. Those are important things to me. I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks to do that, than deal with the crowds at the Preakness.. just saying there's many different ways to look at it.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #54
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Beautiful weather???

Today, maybe
Yes I said it
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #55
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Beautiful weather???

Today, maybe
What was wrong with the weather?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #56
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I had a couple of friends that went as I was out of town and couldn't make it. They said it was fantastic!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #57
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
BC Weekend's End, a little south of Del Mar, about an hr ago --

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bcweekendsend.jpg (260.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 11-05-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #58
TheGarMan

What was the attendance?

How many tickets were sold?

How was the parking?

Is this better or worse?

I am getting way off the path, but these are the EXACT same questions we might be asking next year, when the Preakness is officially moved to Laurel...

In this game, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Gar

Last edited by TheGarMan; 11-05-2017 at 10:24 PM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #59
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbaygent View Post
Haha all of a sudden we’re believing TVG guys who we diss on this forum almost daily

As far as I know Tix were 100% sold out. If you got dropped off at über spot, security was asking to show your tix or you were told get back in line for über back Home.

I was there. Some spots crowded, some not. Was easy to eat, bet, pee. Ample parking.

Did all the sold tix show up, who knows? Mutuel handle was impressive.

The whole logistics of crowds reminded me of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics where we geared up for nightmare crowds and traffic but all the spot-on planning made it all go smooth.

Crowd size or no, Del Mar did a stellar job hosting the BC. A week ago I would have said BC wouldn’t rerun to DMR, today I’m thinking “maybe”.
Could some of the seemingly empty apron and other areas be the result of the chalets or other temporary venues that were available?

I know that was the case at Keeneland, where I could walk from the furthest temporary suite on the far turn to the finish line faster, and encountering less people, than on an average Saturday with 20,000 people there.

With good suites and chalets, many people stay where they are and don't venture onto the apron.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #60
GMB@BP

http://www.drf.com/news/del-mar-like...cup-again-soon

Reserved seats for the Breeders’ Cup races were sold out in advance and were more expensive than in past years, reflecting demand. Harper said a future Breeders’ Cup at Del Mar would have a similar audience limit and ticket structure.

“I think that’s a great number,” Harper said. “You could get to mutuels.

“I think it’s one of the more profitable Breeders’ Cups. You have higher-end areas to sell. You don’t have to cram 45,000 people in there.”

Harper said one remarkable aspect of the weekend was Friday’s ontrack handle of $9.28 million, a 29 percent increase over the corresponding day at Santa Anita.

“I was surprised with the handle,” Harper said. “I didn’t think it would do that well.”
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: